Munster Squad 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by overthehillprop View Post

Just a personal theory but Murray really shone when he was the decision maker. With both Rassie and Joe it wasn't necessarily about the speed of the service but making sure that the pods/players were in position and that we didn't loose possession. Thats not to say that Murray can't move the ball quickly just that wasn't what his primary directive was. He organised the players, he waved his hands at the breakdown, he waited for the pods to be set and he took on the kicking duties to relieve pressure or make it contestable.

Now under Larkham there is less decision making required from 9 and more on 10 and wider out. Between the neck injury and change in style its taking Murray a while to settle into this especially with the World Cup and downtime. While bossing forwards and leadership is still needed at 9, a breaking scrum half with quick service to the first receiver looking to move the ball at pace is now required.
    On that basis it puts Casey in a very good situation - he's both very quick and very bossy.
    ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
    AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post

On that basis it puts Casey in a very good situation - he's both very quick and very bossy.
      In theory at least his style should suit what Munster are trying to do. I do think they may still have some concerns around how he will hold up physically and will try to ease him in to the position. The other thing is that he is up against Murray for the starting job and as we've all seen before its harder to get out of the Ireland team than it is to get in it. Once Murray is still the Irish scrum half he is pretty much sure of his Munster spot. Hopefully Casey can set himself as the outright backup to Murray at Munster and we see him get significant gametime (20 mins plus) off the bench in big games by the end of the season.

\"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

In theory at least his style should suit what Munster are trying to do. I do think they may still have some concerns around how he will hold up physically and will try to ease him in to the position. The other thing is that he is up against Murray for the starting job and as we've all seen before its harder to get out of the Ireland team than it is to get in it. Once Murray is still the Irish scrum half he is pretty much sure of his Munster spot. Hopefully Casey can set himself as the outright backup to Murray at Munster and we see him get significant gametime (20 mins plus) off the bench in big games by the end of the season.
        I agree and Casey gives the impression that he zero self doubt and I suspect physicality will not be an issue. If Munster continue to improve and go further in competitions there will be loads of important games(part games) where he will be in for Murray.

Comment

From the Ultimate rugby website - a 21 year old fly half Isaac Lucas from the super rugby franchise Reds is in talks with European teams for the upcoming season including Munster......

Comment

Originally posted by Greenkiwi View Post
            From the Ultimate rugby website - a 21 year old fly half Isaac Lucas from the super rugby franchise Reds is in talks with European teams for the upcoming season including Munster......
            Strange one. He’s only 4 months older than Ben Healy and doesn’t have any more senior experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            \"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane\"

Comment

Hopefully it's just clickbait. I would be very disappointed if Munster were even looking at this signing. Between Healy, Flannery and Crowley, I cannot see why we would need to bring in a young 10.
              Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Colliniho View Post

Strange one. He’s only 4 months older than Ben Healy and doesn’t have any more senior experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's an odd one, he played most of his rugby his rugby at full-back for the Australia under 20s.

Interestingly, the rugby paper says that Munster are still searching for an out-half.
                https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/late...e-isaac-lucas/

Comment

Originally posted by ephileth View Post

Hopefully it's just clickbait. I would be very disappointed if Munster were even looking at this signing. Between Healy, Flannery and Crowley, I cannot see why we would need to bring in a young 10.
                  Cian Whooley is a very highly rated 10, as well. Probably favourite to be starting outhalf for next year's Ireland under 20 team and may have an even higher ceiling than those mentioned.

Comment

He looks quite like Conor Fitzgerald, so it's more likely that Friend will look at him for Connacht - not that I'm saying they need him. I have a (tongue-in-cheek) theory that DoRs have a natural tendency to recruit players who look similar to players who are already successful in the squad. After 3 months without testing whether I can recognise everybody in the training photos I can't remember who our examples are except Keynan Knox looks quite Earls-like. I have seen it confuse commentators too.

Comment

Club and player fall out over a covid paycut - agent rings journalist - journalist mentions a 'big' club in NH to generate interest, get player a new club

Player signs for a French team.

I've seen this movie before.
                      I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                        Club and player fall out over a covid paycut - agent rings journalist - journalist mentions a 'big' club in NH to generate interest, get player a new club

Player signs for a French team.

I've seen this movie before.
                        Yeah, and news Tyler retired makes Munster an obvious choice
                        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Front Row - overall its good but we lack the right balance. Currently Killer is the only one out of all our front rows that could be considered an effective/dynamic heavy ball carrier.

Loosehead - We have a rake of looseheads capable of playing to european standards behind him but none have pushed on to show they can step up to international level so far. Loughman is a baller and good in open play. Cronin seems to have reached a ceiling he can't push through and Boomer hasn't had a run of games injury free yet. Wycherley looks to be the one based on his u20's play that could come through and pass a good few of them out.

Hooker - Scannell is great at the basics but lacks the explosiveness with ball in hand. O'Byrne is a baller in open play and his lineout is spot on but i think there remains some questions on his scrummaging against bigger sides. Marshall seem to be somewhere in the middle of the two skills wise but along with TH its the position we don't have any effective/dynamic heavy carriers.

Tight Head - Ryan and Archer are again very solid up to European level but neither has pushed on to be an international starter. Knox is the great white hope and he looks like he will be a monster for years to come if he can stay injury free. I want to see more of him carrying this season to see how effective he can be at this level. Salanoa looks to have all the raw attributes and Rowntree could well be the man to harness them. Salanoa seems to be a direct addition to boost our front row ball carrying.

Second row - Its hard to see beyond Snyman and Kleyn being the first choice pairing for the big games. It offers so much in terms of grunt and big ball carriers. Holland will continue to offer experience and leadership for Pro14 games and hopefully Ahern starts to see some gametime and learn from Snyman. I think Wycherley will see more gametime as this new style of second row/blind side flanker comes back into vogue.

Backrow - I think if we go with a front five of Killer, Scannell, Ryan, Kleyn and Snyman and a centre pairing of Farrell and De Allende then we have some leeway in how the backrow is structured. POM and CJ are the two nailed on starters in our backrow but the third position is very much up for grabs. Beirne, Wycherley, Coombes, TOD, JOD and JOS all have genuine shouts to push on for that spot. Beirne would be an alternative at 6 but it does leave CJ as the only heavy ball carrier in the back row with this combo. Wycherley could fill the 6 jersey in a similar mould to how England have looked to use Courtney Lawes. Both Wycherley and Beirne at 6 cause POM to shift to openside. I don't think that matters too much as Beirne acts like an openside at the breakdown and picking Wycherley would likely be a specific set up for a specific opponent. Coombes and JOS are both longer shots as they primarily fill the 8 jersey and act as ball carriers with Coombes in particular looking to have the frame to do damage. JOD and TOD could both play seven with CJ and POM in the back row and this along with Beirne look to be the more likely combinations at least at the start of the season. Cloete offers the traditional openside role but i think in some ways POM and Beirne if used in tandem could easily fill that role without giving away the silly pens. Cloete is likely to be under pressure from Hodnett this season for the Pro14 gametime.

If i was picking a starting pack for Europe right now it would be
                          Killer, Scannell, Ryan, Kleyn, Snyman, Beirne, POM, CJ
                          Subs - O'Byrne, Loughman, Archer Wycherley, JOD

From a tactical point of view that allows dynamic carriers in Killer, Snyman and CJ in the pack along with De Allende and Farrell in midfield. Scannell, Ryan and Kleyn can carry in the tight and POM and Beirne offer wider threats with ball in hand.
                          If Munster continue with the 2-3-2-1 i would expect to see something like Kleyn and Ryan as the first 2, Synman, Killer and Scannell in the 3, POM/Beirne and CJ in the two and Beirne/POM as the wider man.
                          The set piece should be very solid with Kleyn and Snyman in the engine room and at lineout we effectively have four first choice jumpers from 4 - 7 with CJ more than capable from touch as well.

Totally agree in terms of our best pack, OTHP. But does shifting to 7 with Munster limit POM's international chances? Will the Ireland set up want their first choice 6 playing out of position? Does that even have an influence?

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

The pack is very strong compared to other years.
                            Back row - Do people think POM could do a job consistently at 7 for Munster versus the better teams in the European Cup? I still think JOD offers the best option with Hodnett making a push next year.
                            Second Row - If RGS starts I think Kleyn will do well to hold off Wycherley. Lots of progress from him especially since Xmas.
                            RGS, Wycherley, Beirne, CJ, POM/JOD would be a match for anyone.
                            Front row - Still think the front row lacks dynamism outside of Killer. Loughman has been a standout find though - his handling gives Munster something different.
                            Hopefully Knox / Salanoa can make a push at THP. Ryan, archer excel at the fundamentals though. Someone really needs to step up at hooker and make a push for intl honours.

Comment

Originally posted by breakfast roll View Post
                              The pack is very strong compared to other years.
                              Back row - Do people think POM could do a job consistently at 7 for Munster versus the better teams in the European Cup? I still think JOD offers the best option with Hodnett making a push next year.
                              Second Row - If RGS starts I think Kleyn will do well to hold off Wycherley. Lots of progress from him especially since Xmas.
                              RGS, Wycherley, Beirne, CJ, POM/JOD would be a match for anyone.
                              Front row - Still think the front row lacks dynamism outside of Killer. Loughman has been a standout find though - his handling gives Munster something different.
                              Hopefully Knox / Salanoa can make a push at THP. Ryan, archer excel at the fundamentals though. Someone really needs to step up at hooker and make a push for intl honours.
                              I personally can't see Wycherley pushing Kleyn out of the squad easily. Before injury this season Kleyn was in incredible form and I reckon would have made the Ireland squad again. People complained that he didn't make impacts in big games but in December was outstanding against Saracens. Snyman and Kleyn in the second row for me with a constant rotation in the backrow of

6: Beirne, Wycherley, POM, O'Donnell
                              7. JOD, O'Donnell, Cloete, Hodnett, POM
                              8. Stander, O'Sullivan

Am I missing anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Lonstonitis View Post

I personally can't see Wycherley pushing Kleyn out of the squad easily. Before injury this season Kleyn was in incredible form and I reckon would have made the Ireland squad again. People complained that he didn't make impacts in big games but in December was outstanding against Saracens. Snyman and Kleyn in the second row for me with a constant rotation in the backrow of

6: Beirne, Wycherley, POM, O'Donnell
                                7. JOD, O'Donnell, Cloete, Hodnett, POM
                                8. Stander, O'Sullivan

Am I missing anyone?
                                Gavin Coombes.

Not sure Wycherley tall enough for 2nd row?

Comment

Working...
                                X