No announcement yet.

Munster Squad 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad sad news, wish him the best for his future career!
    Could he be the incoming fifth coach mentioned by JVG lately?
    Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

Sounds like he’d be an asset to have on the coaching staff. Sad to see him retire. We only really saw him play for 1 full season. Prob should of called it earlier. Best of luck to the guy.
      "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

Originally posted by Colliniho View Post

We’ve 9 back 3 players including Alex so if he stays he’s getting no game time. Would be a good move for him.
        I assume there’s no deal for Alan Tynan, but his name isn’t mentioned in any recent articles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        As much as it pains me to say it I think when Healy and Flannery have made a step up before him its hard to see where he fits in. I think its very hard for him to develop into a first choice 10 from where he is at the moment. Think his academy contract up this year as well.
        \"If you can dream it, you can do it\".
        \"To the cowardly and unfaithful, nothing is possible\"

Comment

Originally posted by Jollygreengiant View Post

As much as it pains me to say it I think when Healy and Flannery have made a step up before him its hard to see where he fits in. I think its very hard for him to develop into a first choice 10 from where he is at the moment. Think his academy contract up this year as well.
          It is and I can see him moving on. Will be interesting to see if Munster trust Healy/Flannery/Crowley or whether they go looking for more cover at ten

\"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane\"

Comment

It is and I can see him moving on. Will be interesting to see if Munster trust Healy/Flannery/Crowley or whether they go looking for more cover at ten

Great opportunity for each of them to step up now. I would be disappointed if we did bring someone in to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Redcafe1 View Post

Great opportunity for each of them to step up now. I would be disappointed if we did bring someone in to be honest.
              I agree fully with that- hopefully Joey will have fully recuperated, and JJ did consistently well last year. Healy also looked very capable when he came in and the others need the sniff of game time to keep them working on their very obvious talent. Allied to that we have Scannell, who won’t have as much time at 12, so for me bringing in someone to cover, would be a really bad option.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

I agree fully with that- hopefully Joey will have fully recuperated, and JJ did consistently well last year. Healy also looked very capable when he came in and the others need the sniff of game time to keep them working on their very obvious talent. Allied to that we have Scannell, who won’t have as much time at 12, so for me bringing in someone to cover, would be a really bad option.
                Dont forget Flannery

Comment

Originally posted by Redcafe1 View Post

Dont forget Flannery
                  Haven’t seen anything of him to be honest, but Crowley really took the eye for Ireland this year- an all munster born half backs pairing of the class of Casey and Crowley would harp back to halcyon days of Strings and ROG, but happy to wait for a while for that- in the mean time I’ve very happy with our likely starting options for next year- year - if joey is properly back am very optimistic about the new season. We’ve strengthened very well.

Comment

Terrible news about Tyler but not a big surprise. Really admired his style, skill and commitment and a shame we really only saw him at his best for a single season.

However, this does create opportunity for our young 10s. Will be fascinating to see how Healy, Flannery and Crowley develop and compete. They all look so capable. Joey and JJ will have them breathing down their necks.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                      Terrible news about Tyler but not a big surprise. Really admired his style, skill and commitment and a shame we really only saw him at his best for a single season.

However, this does create opportunity for our young 10s. Will be fascinating to see how Healy, Flannery and Crowley develop and compete. They all look so capable. Joey and JJ will have them breathing down their necks.
                      I’d love to think that by this time next year
                      - Crowley and Healy has put serious pressure on JJ
                      - Knox and Salanoa had done the same to Ryan and Archer
                      - Barron was looking like a genuine option at hooker

Comment

I’d love to think that by this time next year
                        - Crowley and Healy has put serious pressure on JJ
                        - Knox and Salanoa had done the same to Ryan and Archer
                        - Barron was looking like a genuine option at hooker

Agree with all these, I would add:
                        - Thomas Ahern putting pressure on Holland and Wycherley in the lock pecking order.
                        - Sean French putting pressure on the likes Nash, L.Coombes, Sweetnam and Daly
                        - Flannery looking like a viable option at 15

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post

Agree with all these, I would add:
                          - Thomas Ahern putting pressure on Holland and Wycherley in the lock pecking order.
                          - Sean French putting pressure on the likes Nash, L.Coombes, Sweetnam and Daly
                          - Flannery looking like a viable option at 15
                          The only thing I would say on the last 2 points is that we are absolutely stacked in the back 3.
                          I was really really hopeful that they were going to stick with French as a 13 (see also Shane Daly) but he played most of his Con and Munster A rugby on the wing this year.
                          Even if Wootton does leave (he has another year on his Munster deal) then we still have 8 senior back 3 players. It’s hard to see Flannery, French or Wren getting huge game time.
                          We are less flush in the second row (especially if Wycherley and/or Beirne get game time at 6) so hopefully Tom sees some minutes. He still has plenty of filling out to do yet though.

Comment

The only thing I would say on the last 2 points is that we are absolutely stacked in the back 3.
                            I was really really hopeful that they were going to stick with French as a 13 (see also Shane Daly) but he played most of his Con and Munster A rugby on the wing this year.
                            Even if Wootton does leave (he has another year on his Munster deal) then we still have 8 senior back 3 players. It’s hard to see Flannery, French or Wren getting huge game time.
                            We are less flush in the second row (especially if Wycherley and/or Beirne get game time at 6) so hopefully Tom sees some minutes. He still has plenty of filling out to do yet though.

Really valid points. I wouldn't be opposed to playing French as 13, but I thought he looked very impressive on the wing for Con and it might hide his shortcomings in defense, a bit more than playing 13. I would like to see Van Graan being ruthless in ripping up the pecking order. L.Coombes, C.Nash and Sweetnam are all really solid, but to me anyway, French has a far higher ceiling than any of them.

Ahern has a bit of filling out to do, but I think he's ready for senior rugby. James Ryan had a similar build when he was making his debut for Ireland ( 108kg, 2.03 m) and Ryan Baird has played a fair bit for Leinster, despite being a good bit smaller than Ahern. It will be interesting to compare the trajectory of Baird's and Ahern's careers over the next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

This is an important move for him- while he has tried hard at Munster he really didn’t seem to have enough to establish himself as a starter- and if we are going to step up from where we are we need the back up players pushing the starters. If it doesn’t work at Connacht that will be it for him.

Am more surprised by Wootton’s decline in form, but then with Daly looking good every time he got a game, and Gallagher coming in - the pressure was just too great- and as others said above, Racing showed he wasn’t at the races.

Copeland’s demise was hardly a surprise, but sorry for the guy, looked great before he came to us, and what you’d imagine was a great opportunity largely passed him by- some great games, but a lot that were mediocre. Still more of a curate’s egg in Connacht- and now D2 in France.

We’ve had a few players over the last while who didn’t raise the level when they came in- and that is really what we need to happen.
                              Agree re copeland, but how can you say his demise was hardly a surprise given the strong reputation he had when he signed for Munster?

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post

Really valid points. I wouldn't be opposed to playing French as 13, but I thought he looked very impressive on the wing for Con and it might hide his shortcomings in defense, a bit more than playing 13. I would like to see Van Graan being ruthless in ripping up the pecking order. L.Coombes, C.Nash and Sweetnam are all really solid, but to me anyway, French has a far higher ceiling than any of them.

Ahern has a bit of filling out to do, but I think he's ready for senior rugby. James Ryan had a similar build when he was making his debut for Ireland ( 108kg, 2.03 m) and Ryan Baird has played a fair bit for Leinster, despite being a good bit smaller than Ahern. It will be interesting to compare the trajectory of Baird's and Ahern's careers over the next few years.
                                I’d agree with that. One major issue over the last number of seasons (especially in the back 3) is that we’ve had a lot of players operating at a very similar level, which is probably a bit below where we need it to be. Lots of good players but not enough great players. The hope again this year is that one or two players break from the crowd and really kick on. I’d love to see someone like Nash show form that makes him undroppable for European games

Comment

Working...
                                X