No announcement yet.

Munster Squad 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome this youthful, promising Hawaiian prop forward aboard. May he prove his worth and more in red.
    Welcome Roman
    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
      I think Jack O Donoghue is the up and coming back row who might force his way into the team but not sure who I would drop if everybody is fit.
      It might depend on JK’s form and if Beirne plays second row or back row?
      Jack o isnt the up and coming guy though now is he? Over 100 appearances for Munster, captained the side. Bot exactly up and coming. Now he may push on to get more game time in bigger games but he isn't an up and coming player at 26

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
        Jack o isnt the up and coming guy though now is he? Over 100 appearances for Munster, captained the side. Bot exactly up and coming. Now he may push on to get more game time in bigger games but he isn't an up and coming player at 26
        In fairness, I think the point is that Jack O is still improving while POM and CJ are either at their peak now or a year or two past it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        \"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane\"

Comment

Hopefully this is an end to this issue re James Cronin

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rug...-39211835.html

Comment

JOD was probably our best player overall this season and most of that was playing at 7. Strangely enough I think that's where management see him playing for us. Hard to know what to do with Beirne next season, he's an enigma of a player, his size and skillset would lead you to believe he's more suited to the back row yet he had the most lineout steals in the 18/19 season. I'm not sure he brings the same power as JK to the scrum.
            When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Originally posted by Crazyemerald View Post
              Hopefully this is an end to this issue re James Cronin

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rug...-39211835.html
              Cummiskey keen to stress that Sport Ireland are “extremely frustrated”.

What exactly they’re so frustrated about isn’t very clear. They looked into it and basically have come to the conclusion that it was a very thorough investigation, there’s nothing fishy, even WADA are happy, and they’d be hard-pressed to get the ban increased by even a couple of months.

It seems they’re mostly frustrated that they didn’t find anything dodgy so they can’t make an example of an innocent player. Cummiskey is clearly disgusted he’ll have to drop it now if he doesn’t want to get himself sued. The witch hunt is over.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Cummiskey keen to stress that Sport Ireland are “extremely frustrated”.

What exactly they’re so frustrated about isn’t very clear. They looked into it and basically have come to the conclusion that it was a very thorough investigation, there’s nothing fishy, even WADA are happy, and they’d be hard-pressed to get the ban increased by even a couple of months.

It seems they’re mostly frustrated that they didn’t find anything dodgy so they can’t make an example of an innocent player. Cummiskey is clearly disgusted he’ll have to drop it now if he doesn’t want to get himself sued. The witch hunt is over.
                I don’t think Cronin did a whole lot wrong and it’s a disgrace the way this is being drawn out but the punishment is stupid. Either give him no ban or suspend the ban until there are actually games on. Personally I’d be in favour of giving him no ban as he was found to have no significant blame but if your gonna insist on a ban why not say in light of the corona virus and lack of rugby you can’t play in the next champions cup game which will be a round one group game so no real harm to anybody.
                “One, Fineen needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Fineen’s not on field, all the other players should be asking 'Where's Fineen?

Comment

Originally posted by B.A. View Post
                  JOD was probably our best player overall this season and most of that was playing at 7. Strangely enough I think that's where management see him playing for us. Hard to know what to do with Beirne next season, he's an enigma of a player, his size and skillset would lead you to believe he's more suited to the back row yet he had the most lineout steals in the 18/19 season. I'm not sure he brings the same power as JK to the scrum.
                  Donal lenihan making the argument recently that he thinks it will be a horses for courses arrangement for Kleyn vs Beirne (https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...21-997840.html)
                  "Munster have several interesting options when it comes to selecting his partner. It’s tempting to pair Snyman with fellow South African Jean Kleyn. That would complete an impressive front five. Yet, depending on the opposition Beirne, who also comes into the debate as a No 6, would add even more poaching and athleticism to the overall unit from the second row.

Against a physically powerful and imposing Clermont Auvergne unit, Kleyn looks better suited to start, especially as he is not the kind that makes an impact off the bench. I hadn’t been overly impressed with his workrate when he first arrived but since the World Cup he has improved on that front, playing his best game in a Munster shirt against Saracens in the away defeat last December.
                  "
                  "If all the wild horsemen of the apocalypse came around the corner O'Mahony would charge straight back at them."
                  Will Greenwood

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Fantastic View Post

Donal lenihan making the argument recently that he thinks it will be a horses for courses arrangement for Kleyn vs Beirne (https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...21-997840.html)
                    "Munster have several interesting options when it comes to selecting his partner. It’s tempting to pair Snyman with fellow South African Jean Kleyn. That would complete an impressive front five. Yet, depending on the opposition Beirne, who also comes into the debate as a No 6, would add even more poaching and athleticism to the overall unit from the second row.

Against a physically powerful and imposing Clermont Auvergne unit, Kleyn looks better suited to start, especially as he is not the kind that makes an impact off the bench. I hadn’t been overly impressed with his workrate when he first arrived but since the World Cup he has improved on that front, playing his best game in a Munster shirt against Saracens in the away defeat last December.
                    "
                    Kleyn was a monster in that Saracens game; man was all over the place hitting rucks and making tackles. As for Beirne / Kleyn starting, this is the problem you want to have if you're attempting to compete for titles, too many good players to have a definite starting XV. Rotation of top quality talent is what you need throughout a long season if you want to be there at the end. I'm sure there will be games where we see different combos of Beirne-Snyman, Kleyn-Beirne, Kleyn-Snyman, with Holland getting some starts here and there. I'm sure we'll see some back row combinations involving Beirne getting time there where the other back rowers get a rest. It is a good dilemma for the coaches to have.

Comment

Does anybody know if James French's transition to tighthead will continue now that Roman Salanoa is coming? From a Munster point of view, I understand the logic in converting him to tighthead. From an IRFU point of view, I’m sure they’d rather he be kept at loosehead. Healy, McGrath and Killer are all in their thirties and there doesn’t seem to be any obvious outstanding candidate under the age of 25, to replace them, when they are gone. French is probably the most explosive of the young looseheads in Ireland, so I wonder if this also played a part in the IRFU’s decision making, re Salanoa coming to Munster.
                      Last edited by Mumhain; 17th-May-2020, 23:51.

Comment

Munster to reshuffle squad with up to nine players set to depart ahead of next season

https://amp.independent.ie/sport/rug...mpression=true
                        "If all the wild horsemen of the apocalypse came around the corner O'Mahony would charge straight back at them."
                        Will Greenwood

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post
                          Does anybody know if James French's transition to tighthead will continue now that Roman Salanoa is coming? From a Munster point of view, I understand the logic in converting him to tighthead. From an IRFU point of view, I’m sure they’d rather he be kept at loosehead. Healy, McGrath and Killer are all in their thirties and there doesn’t seem to be any obvious outstanding candidate under the age of 25, to replace them, when they are gone. French is probably the most explosive of the young looseheads in Ireland, so I wonder if this also played a part in the IRFU’s decision making, re Salanoa coming to Munster.
                          Very interesting dimension to the Salanoa arrival.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Fantastic View Post
                            Munster to reshuffle squad with up to nine players set to depart ahead of next season

https://amp.independent.ie/sport/rug...mpression=true
                            Shows judicious reading of this column.

Comment

Limerick leader saying there's a possibility Wotton is off to connacht
                              https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/s...medium=twitter
                              Will Greenwood

Comment

Disappointing to see Arnold and Botha leaving but can't really say the others have been improving the team. When Shane Daly arrived on the scene it didn't look good for Wootton and the others haven't made a first team impact in quite a while. Hopefully they can all kick on at their next clubs.

Does anyone have a list of the players promoted from the academy this year?

Comment

Working...
                                X