Munster Squad 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LimerickRugbyFan View Post
    Should we look to cut some of the dead wood, with all due respect, the likes of Billy Holland, Darren O'Shea, Alex Wooton, Conor Oliver (maybe harshly included), etc. and look to give one or two more opportunities to young lads, for example at this stage I think Fineen is well and truly ready to replace Holland, HCup sub and Pro14. Use the bit of freed up cash then to make a really world class signing. I think that could really push us to the next level.
    Hard on a few players there. I don't think there's any 1 or even 2 world class signings that would do much for us. It's the gameplan that's the issue.

I don't think we have anywhere near the money for the sort of impact signings we made years ago. And I honestly can't name a single player that I think would get us over the line against Sarries if we replayed the semi final next week.

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

Hard on a few players there. I don't think there's any 1 or even 2 world class signings that would do much for us. It's the gameplan that's the issue.

I don't think we have anywhere near the money for the sort of impact signings we made years ago. And I honestly can't name a single player that I think would get us over the line against Sarries if we replayed the semi final next week.
      Owen Farrell on our side would have helped

Comment

Originally posted by Thorns View Post

Owen Farrell on our side would have helped
        Helped, perhaps. But we wouldn't have won that game with Farrell at 10. Other than the fact Sarries would only have had 14 :-)

We need a 20% lift to win those sorts of games. It's got to come from the players in the squad.
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by ScrummieMan View Post
          Projected Munster Squad next season

LH Prop

Dave Kilcoyne(30/Ardscoil Ris/UL Bohs) - contracted until 2020
          James Cronin(28/Highfield RFC/Dolphin) - contracted until 2021
          Liam O'Connor(24/CBC Cork/Cork Con) - contracted until 2020
          Jeremy Loughman(24/Blackrock College/UCD) - contracted until 2020

James French(20/Bandon Grammar/UCC) - Year 2
          Josh Wycherley(20/Roscrea/Young Munster) - Year 2

TH Prop
          Stephen Archer(31/CBC Cork/Cork Con) - contracted until 2020
          John Ryan(31/CBC Cork/Cork Con) - contracted until 2022
          Brian Scott(26/PBC Cork/Dolphin) - contracted until 2020
          Ciaran Parker(23/Exile) - contracted until 2020

Keynan Knox(20/South Africa) - Year 3
          Luke Masters(19/CBC Cork/Shannon) - Year 1

Hooker
          Kevin O'Byrne(28/PBC Cork/Cork Con) - contracted until 2020
          Niall Scannell(27/PBC Cork/Dolphin) - contracted until 2021
          Rhys Marshall(26/New Zealand) - contracted until 2021

Diarmuid Barron(21/Rockwell College/Garryowen) - Year 2
          Eoghan Clarke(21/CBC Monkstown/Shannon) - Year 2

Lock
          Billy Holland(34/CBC Cork/Cork Con) - contracted until 2020
          Tadhg Beirne(27/Clongowes/Lansdowne) - contracted until 2020
          Darren O'Shea(26/Crosshaven RFC/Dolphin) - contracted until 2020
          Jean Kleyn(26/South Africa) - contracted until 2022
          Sean O'Connor(23/Rockwell College/Garryowen) - contracted until 2020
          Fineen Wycherley(21/Roscrea/Young Munster) - contracted until 2021

Thomas Ahern(19/Waterpark RFC/Shannon) - Year 2
          Paddy Kelly(19/St. Munchins/Young Munster) - Year 1
          Eoin O'Connor(19/Waterpark RFC) - Year 1

Backrow
          Tommy O'Donnell(32/Clanwilliam RFC/UL Bohs) - contracted until 2021
          Peter O'Mahony(30/PBC Cork/Cork Con) - contracted until 2021
          CJ Stander(29/South Africa) - contracted until 2021
          Chris Cloete(28/South Africa) - contracted until 2022
          Arno Botha(27/South Africa) - contracted until 2020
          Jack O'Donoghue(25/Waterpark RFC/UL Bohs) - contracted until 2021
          Conor Oliver(24/Blackrock College/Garryowen) - contracted until 2020
          Gavin Coombes(21/Bandon Grammar/Young Munster) - contracted until 2021

Jack Daly(21/Castleisland RFC/Garryowen) - Year 2
          Jack O'Sullivan(20/PBC Cork/UCC) - Year 3
          John Hodnett(20/Clonakilty RFC/UCC) - Year 1

Scrumhalf
          Alby Mathewson(33/New Zealand) - contracted until Nov 2019
          Conor Murray(30/St. Munchins/Garryowen) - contracted until 2022
          Neil Cronin(26/Castletroy/Garryowen) - contracted until 2021
          Nick McCarthy(24/St. Michaels College/UCD) - contracted until 2021
          Craig Casey(20/Ardscoil Ris/Shannon) - contracted until 2021

Jack Stafford(22/Glenstal Abbey/Shannon) - Year 3

Outhalf
          Tyler Bleyendaal(29/New Zealand) - contracted until 2021
          JJ Hanrahan(27/Rockwell College/UL Bohs) - contracted until 2021
          Joey Carbery(23/Blackrock College/Clontarf) - contracted until 2022

Ben Healy(20/Glenstal Abbey/Garryowen) - Year 2
          Jake Flannery(20/Rockwell College/Shannon) - Year 1

Centre
          Chris Farrell(26/Campbell College) - contracted until 2022
          Rory Scannell(25/PBC Cork/Dolphin) - contracted until 2021
          Dan Goggin(24/St. Munchins/Young Munster) - contracted until 2020
          Sam Arnold(23/Exile) - contracted until 2020
          Shane Daly(22/PBC Cork/Cork Con) - contracted until 2021

Alex McHenry(21/CBC Cork/Cork Con) - Year 3
          Sean French(20/PBC Cork/Cork Con) - Year 2

Back Three
          Keith Earls(31/St. Munchins/Young Munster) - contracted until 2021
          Andrew Conway(28/Blackrock College) - contracted until 2020
          Darren Sweetnam(26/Bandon Grammar/Dolphin) - contracted until 2021
          Alex Wootton(25/Exile/Garryowen) - contracted until 2021
          Mike Haley(25/Exile) - contracted until 2021
          Calvin Nash(22/Crescent College/Young Munster) - contracted until 2021

Liam Coombes(22/CBC Cork/Garryowen) - Year 3
          Alan Tynan(22/Roscrea/Young Munster) - Year 3
          Jonathan Wren(20/PBC Cork/Cork Con) - Year 2
          Conor Phillips(20/Crescent College/Young Munster) - Year 1
          So, anyhooo, that’s a pretty healthy looking squad and the age profile is good across pretty much every area.

We are well positioned to be successful over the coming few years if we can get the right coaches in and add one or two really high quality signings here and there. Centre and/or FB would be my priority. Maybe a really top notch openside?

It’s time we made a Dougie type of signing. That’s the level of quality we’re lacking and we haven’t brought in a name like that in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

So, anyhooo, that’s a pretty healthy looking squad and the age profile is good across pretty much every area.

We are well positioned to be successful over the coming few years if we can get the right coaches in and add one or two really high quality signings here and there. Centre and/or FB would be my priority. Maybe a really top notch openside?

It’s time we made a Dougie type of signing. That’s the level of quality we’re lacking and we haven’t brought in a name like that in a long time.
            Agree.

Big fast Fijian back 3 required. League will be very competitive and very interesting next year.
            ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
            AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Helped, perhaps. But we wouldn't have won that game with Farrell at 10. Other than the fact Sarries would only have had 14 :-)

We need a 20% lift to win those sorts of games. It's got to come from the players in the squad.
              I think a FB of the quality of, say, Folau, would have helped (not that I’d sign him even if we could afford him).

That first half they absolutely owned us with their kicking game, just as England did Ireland.

Comment

Tighhead, openside, inside centre and fullback are key areas where we have good but not great options to bring us to the next level. Doesnt look like we are signing anyone though.

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post

Agree.

Big fast Fijian back 3 required. League will be very competitive and very interesting next year.
                  Three of them from Fiji? Are you on commission dolphie?
                  Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post

True, Neil Armstrong spent more days on the Moon than Earls did in Munchins
                    Really. I happen to be a pal of his then Maths teacher, apparently he was in school quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post

True, Neil Armstrong spent more days on the Moon than Earls did in Munchins
                      Shouldnt you be staring in the window of Canteen at Fla again?
                      I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Stringer9 View Post
                        Should we split the contribution of Cork to Cork and West Cork?

On a serious note when rugby started to become about the private schools instead of the clubs, like Shannon and Garryowen going to war, we were always going to struggle.
                        Club rugby is how Munster thrives, not through the schools. We don't have the same resources to compete with the Leinster schools and I'm pretty tired of feeling like we need to apologise for not having the same privilege as those in Leinster when it comes to their private schools. It’s infuriating.

That said, from what I hear there is some serious talent coming through the academy. I don’t think we’ll see many, if any, big signings this year. They need to sort out the coaching staff, hopefully we sign a player or two but after signing the likes of Beirne and Carbery this season I expect this to be a quiet window.
                        That isnt totally true. When Shannon/Garryowen etc were totally dominating the AIL the players from Limerick were still coming through the same schools etc and these schools werent able to compete with the Leinster schools when they played.
                        Many of the strong AIL teams from Limerick in early 90s had substantial numbers coming in from Nenagh, Bruff, Tipp town etc and now in some areas these players now have their own senior clubs to play for.

Comment

That projected squad has a big gaping hole in the backrow. Between the RWC, mandatory rest and the 6N next year POM and CJ stander will play very little
                          for us

Factor in the average injury that any squad suffers from which is probably highest in the BR and I think it leaves us very light on options at times next season.

Beirne and Wycherley can play there as well, but that’s assuming Kleyn/Beirne/Holland are fit and available for the 2nd row.

Picking up some Southern Hemisphere quality BR who retires post World Cup would be nice...

Comment

Hah. Love it. And we'd have had 16!

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Horse View Post

Hah. Love it. And we'd have had 16!
                              Not for long- Farrell would have lost it completely and been carded if he'd had to cope with the ball our backs got.

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post

Three of them from Fiji? Are you on commission dolphie?
                                You need a minimum of at least 3 Fijians for a decent prayer huddle at the end of the match.
                                ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                                AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Working...
                                X