Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mumhain
    replied
    Good reflection on the ability of the young fly-halves that Larkham seems to trust/rate them.

Larkham also mentioned that there were tightheads swapping over to loosehead at training. Any guesses who that could be?

John Ryan and James French have experience playing on both sides, anybody know if Keynan Knox also has the ability to play there?

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
    Healy looked more than capable of benching behind JJ last season. Looked very calm under pressure. He’s a solid back up with potential to be more with a bit of game time.

Flannery and Crowley have huge ability too. This coming season is a chance to test them, and hopefully get Joey back playing too, in the fullness of time.
    Well hopefully he will be. He'll need to be.

Because in a team with Munster's ambitions, and two world cup winners on the panel, the bones of a Lions back row, JJ still needs to make a leap of his own.

I think he's been building and he's not topped out, so I retain the hope I've held since he broke through. But the comparison's with Leinster with Sexton in place and a successor to be groomed don't hold for me.

Still - he's the man in the chair now, he's had time with an all time great in Larkham, he's got great players on either side of him, and he's been backed by his coach to go and do it.

Hopefully this is the year.

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    Originally posted by coolbawn View Post
    Flannery might get some handy Pro14 experience by playing #15 and/or #23 too. Not sure if Healy or Crowley ever play fullback ?
    He could- but if he’s going to make it at 10 it’s there he needs his experience. Besides, with Gallagher, Haley, Daly and Sweetnam, to name just four other possible 15s, we need to be careful we don’t make a problem elsewhere. Until JJ starting getting regular starts at 10 he didn’t develop the consistency he sorely needed- despite game time at 15 and 12.

Leave a comment:

• coolbawn
    replied
    Flannery might get some handy Pro14 experience by playing #15 and/or #23 too. Not sure if Healy or Crowley ever play fullback ?

Leave a comment:

• Finnegan79
    replied
    Time to trust the youth and see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• Munsterboy
    replied
    Healy looked more than capable of benching behind JJ last season. Looked very calm under pressure. He’s a solid back up with potential to be more with a bit of game time.

Flannery and Crowley have huge ability too. This coming season is a chance to test them, and hopefully get Joey back playing too, in the fullness of time.

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

Thats the point exactly Redcafe, Munster have 3 if not 4 young players with potential, I would much rather see us promote them upwards and see if they sink or swim than get another joker.
    Frankly it’s probably essential one of these is wrestling the starting jersey off JJ by the end of the year- and I think one of them will, if Joey is back competing again by then, great- but the more I think about it and read the comments above, I’d have Larkham sitting down with each of the three younger lads planning which games they will be benching and starting for, this side of Christmas, with an assessment made then about what the pecking order is to be, given form, for the rest of the year.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Redcafe1 View Post

Healy yes of course, but remember Flannery spend lot of last season injured and Crowley has emerged also since the 20’s. I am sure Larkham as mentioned is perfectly qualified to decide who best fits his game plan.
    Thats the point exactly Redcafe, Munster have 3 if not 4 young players with potential, I would much rather see us promote them upwards and see if they sink or swim than get another joker.

Leave a comment:

• Redcafe1
    replied
    Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post

Doesn't sound good.

I agree we should go with JJ and younger guys (Healy is hardly a school boy anymore, if he can't be a No. 2 now then what chance has he of being a No. 1 in the future). If JJ were also to have a long term injury then we will have to see one of the young guys step up, move Rory to 10 or see if BJ or Fitz could come back on loan.
    Healy yes of course, but remember Flannery spend lot of last season injured and Crowley has emerged also since the 20’s. I am sure Larkham as mentioned is perfectly qualified to decide who best fits his game plan.

Leave a comment:

• AwayFromHome
    replied
    Originally posted by Redcafe1 View Post

Would not bet on it. My own view is we should go with JJ and the younger 10’s we have.
    Doesn't sound good.

I agree we should go with JJ and younger guys (Healy is hardly a school boy anymore, if he can't be a No. 2 now then what chance has he of being a No. 1 in the future). If JJ were also to have a long term injury then we will have to see one of the young guys step up, move Rory to 10 or see if BJ or Fitz could come back on loan.

Leave a comment:

• barryfitz87
    replied
    Originally posted by Chrizzzie View Post

What also plays a role for me is that we have Snyman and De Allende for the next two years. These players required a substantial investment but Munster (and their lenders) have been prepared to do this as they believe this is needed to make the jump to cup contenders. It's no secret that the FH position is vital to win anything. Just look at the FH of teams that won HCup's. If we give youth a chance at flyhalf it means that it will take at least two years (and probably more) before they are hopefully at top European level. By than our RWC winners are already gone and the investment was worthless.
    While I agree with a lot of this surely having Snyman and De Allende would also help the young fly halves. Hopefully he/they would not be playing behind a pack that is being dominated, giving both him and the scrum half vital time on the ball and having De Allende outside would also give him a release valve if need be.

Leave a comment:

• Redcafe1
    replied
    Originally posted by ScrummieMan View Post
    Joey surely be back come December... Munster just gotta suck it up if JJ gets injured in the next 2 games.
    Would not bet on it. My own view is we should go with JJ and the younger 10’s we have.

Leave a comment:

• ScrummieMan
    replied
    Joey surely be back come December... Munster just gotta suck it up if JJ gets injured in the next 2 games.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy
    replied
    Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post
    You don't need a star international fly-half to win the Pro14. AJ McGinty has won one. Scarlets won one with Rhys Patchell and Hadleigh Parkes.
    You do need one to stay competitive at the levels Munster were once famed for though......

Leave a comment:

• HenryFitz
    replied
    You don't need a star international fly-half to win the Pro14. AJ McGinty has won one. Scarlets won one with Rhys Patchell and Hadleigh Parkes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X