Munster Squad 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Surveyor View Post
    Whatever about the squad now the Ireland U20s squad announced to-day doesn't bode well for the future;
    Leinster 20
    Ulster 7
    Munster 5
    Connacht 4
    Is there some explanation for the poor level of Munster representation?
    It’s just a cycle. I remember playing at schools level in one of the biggest if not the biggest rugby schools in Dublin and we couldn’t compete with some of the Nordie schools. It’ll change.
    "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

Originally posted by Crazyemerald View Post
      Really looking forward to seeing Thomas Ahern in the U-20s, massive potential for us. Also we have to make Billy a coach going forward (if he wants to of course)

https://www.the42.ie/thomas-ahern-ir...78046-Jan2020/
      His athleticism was mentioned by the Irish U20 coach last year, and how rare it is to see a specimen like him in Ireland.

You look at him and you can see that, despite being 6’9”, he has a fairly well proportioned frame that should fill out. Far less of a bean pole than Toner, and the fact he played wing suggests he really is a bit of a freak (meant in the most positive way).

Be great for him to see what a fella like Snyman can do and emulate that.
      Last edited by Munsterboy; 25th-January-2020, 11:07.

Comment

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/01/...it-to-munster/

Comment

Delighted with that, especially as I was concerned Goggin might be tempted elsewhere.
          Thrilled for the young lads also

Comment

So are Alan Tynan and Jack Stafford only Year 3 Academy lads waiting on deals?

Comment

Great for the lads and the squad to get certainty at this early stage
              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

With recent announcements and today's confirmation of extensions for Billy Holland, Jeremy Loughman and Andrew Conway (for 1,2 and 3 years respectively) I had a look back at the excellent first post in this thread by ScrummieMan. It seems to me that the outstanding players whose contracts end next summer and who haven't yet been announced are as follows: -
                Dave Kilcoyne*
                Brian Scott
                Ciaran Parker
                Kevin O'Byrne*
                Darren O'Shea
                Sean O'Connor
                Arno Botha
                Conor Oliver
                Sam Arnold

Please correct any errors on my part. Those marked with an asterix are the crucial ones in my opinion that we have to lock down. I think it is generally accepted that Arno will move on (although I would love to keep him) with the 2 NIQ signings and a crop of young players such as Jack O'Sullivan and John Hodnett, Gavin Coombes and Fineen Wycherley coming through. All the other have question marks I think
                Last edited by Crazyemerald; 20th-February-2020, 21:13.

Comment

With recent announcements and today's confirmation of extensions for Billy Holland, Jeremy Loughman and Andrew Conway (for 1,2 and 3 years respectively) I had a look back at the excellent first post in this thread by ScrummieMan. It seems to me that the outstanding players whose contracts end next summer and who haven't yet been announced are as follows: -
                  Dave Kilcoyne*
                  Brian Scott
                  Ciaran Parker
                  Kevin O'Byrne*
                  Tadgh Beirne*
                  Darren O'Shea
                  Sean O'Connor
                  Arno Botha
                  Conor Oliver
                  Sam Arnold

Please correct any errors on my part. Those marked with an asterix are the crucial ones in my opinion that we have to lock down. I think it is generally accepted that Arno will move on (although I would love to keep him) with the 2 NIQ signings and a crop of young players such as Jack O'Sullivan and John Hodnett, Gavin Coombes and Fineen Wycherley coming through. All the other have question marks I think
                  Beirne signed a two year contract extension last May. He is with Munster until 2022

Comment

Originally posted by barryfitz87 View Post

Beirne signed a two year contract extension last May. He is with Munster until 2022
                    Thanks barryfitz, I only went back to November looking at the Munsterrugby.ie site. I have removed him from the list (thankfully!!)

Comment

Dave Kilcoyne*
                      Brian Scott
                      Ciaran Parker
                      Kevin O'Byrne*
                      Darren O'Shea
                      Sean O'Connor
                      Arno Botha
                      Conor Oliver
                      Sam Arnold

I agree with wanting to keep him. He's a handy guy to have coming in late in the game for carrying power as well as covering for the international periods and injuries to front line players.

Comment

did anyone hear rumours that mike haley is leaving in the summer? his partner had a new baby last year and apparently wants to move back to england to be close to their families.

Comment

I hope he stays, he has huge potential
                          "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

That would be very disappointing. Agree that he has great potential.
                            IF it is true and was flagged to management, it may help explain the signing of Gallagher from Saracens (accepting that he chose us, but that we went along with his choice).

Comment

I’ve been critical of Van Graan for being too conservative with some selections, but I think he deserves credit for building such a deep squad. I think Munster will be able to pick three teams next year that will at the very least, be very competitive with 70% of the pro14 teams:

Team 1:
                              1. Killer, 2. Scannell, 3. Ryan
                              4. Beirne, 5. Snyman,
                              6. O’Mahony, 7. O’Donnell, 8. Stander,
                              9. Murray , 10. Carbery
                              11.Conway, 12. De Allende, 13. Farrell, 14 Earls,
                              15. Haley

Team 2:
                              1. Cronin, 2. Marshall, 3. Archer
                              4. Kleyn, 5. Holland,
                              6. Wycherley, 7. Cloete, 8. O’Donoghue
                              9. Casey, 10. Hanrahan,
                              11. Daly, 12. Scannell, 13. Goggin, 14. Nash,
                              15. Gallagher

Team 3:
                              1. Loughman, 2. O’Bryne, 3. Knox
                              4. Ahern, 5. O’Shea/O’Connor,
                              6. Coombes, 7. Hodnett, 8. O’Sullivan
                              9. Cronin, 10. Healy
                              11. Coombes, 12. Bleyendaal, 13. Arnold, 14. Wootton
                              15. Sweetnam

Then you have a load of young players from the last few years’ Ireland under 20 teams, who will be turning 22 or over and needing consistent game time: Josh Wycherley, Barron, James French, Jake Flannery, Sean French, Johnathan Wren etc.

The above teams are assuming that Killer, O’Bryne, Arnold and one of O’Shea/O’Connor stay on. From looking at those teams, I think the only areas that we don’t have massive depth are at 3 and 12. I’d be inclined to keep Arnold for the simple reason that he covers all the outside back positions and he will always do a fairly solid job. I think it was Luke Marshall that said in an interview, that Arnold was the joint quickest player in the Ulster squad when he was there. He’s still only 23 and he has a lot natural talent, so there’s a lot of growing in him yet. I don’t think many of us thought that Goggin would become the player he has become, two years ago.

Last edited by Mumhain; 21st-February-2020, 14:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Joedenak View Post
                                did anyone hear rumours that mike haley is leaving in the summer? his partner had a new baby last year and apparently wants to move back to england to be close to their families.
                                Highly unlikely I’d say, especially as he is contracted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                \"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane\"

Comment

Working...
                                X