No announcement yet.

Munster Squad 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven’t seen enough of Gallagher to comment definitively, but if he improves the first-team, then I’m in favour. If he doesn’t, then we are in dangerous territory. Next year we will have at least 11 back-three players, all of whom will be turning 22 or older and looking for consistent game time.

There is also the fact that wingers typically break through at a younger age than players in other positions( see 18-year old Louis Rees-Zammit in the Wales senior squad or Ollie Sleightholme at Gloucester). My worry is that we get a similar situation to the fly-half disaster 12 months ago, with Bill Johnston leaving because there are too many senior players ahead of him.

In all likelihood, Munster will have the following players covering the back-three positions next year:
    1. Andrew Conway
    2. Keith Earls
    3. Calvin Nash
    4. Darren Sweetnam
    5. Alex Wootton
    6. Mike Haley
    7. Shane Daly
    8. Liam Coombes
    9. Sean French
    10. Jonathan Wren
    11. Jake Flannery

The following players can also play in some of the back-three positions, at a push:

12. Dan Goggin
    13. Sam Arnold
    14. Ales McHenry
    15. Alan Tynan

Then there is Conor Philips, who isn’t in the academy, but is a talent.

Comment

lads this is the reality of where we are, signing Sarries 3rd/4th choice FB? Surely one of our own is as good as makes no difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post
        I haven’t seen enough of Gallagher to comment definitively, but if he improves the first-team, then I’m in favour. If he doesn’t, then we are in dangerous territory. Next year we will have at least 11 back-three players, all of whom will be turning 22 or older and looking for consistent game time.

There is also the fact that wingers typically break through at a younger age than players in other positions( see 18-year old Louis Rees-Zammit in the Wales senior squad or Ollie Sleightholme at Gloucester). My worry is that we get a similar situation to the fly-half disaster 12 months ago, with Bill Johnston leaving because there are too many senior players ahead of him.

In all likelihood, Munster will have the following players covering the back-three positions next year:
        1. Andrew Conway
        2. Keith Earls
        3. Calvin Nash
        4. Darren Sweetnam
        5. Alex Wootton
        6. Mike Haley
        7. Shane Daly
        8. Liam Coombes
        9. Sean French
        10. Jonathan Wren
        11. Jake Flannery

The following players can also play in some of the back-three positions, at a push:

12. Dan Goggin
        13. Sam Arnold
        14. Ales McHenry
        15. Alan Tynan

French is more often a centre and Flannery out-half ?

Comment

Some of them players just are not up to it, have you seen how Goggin played on the wing and Nash was awful last time out!

Comment

Gallaghers nothing special from what I’ve seen of him . I thought back 3 wasn’t an area crying out for a signing . If it was player with experience and the x factor maybe .
            When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Originally posted by blueberry View Post

French is more often a centre and Flannery out-half ?
              French has been featuring more as a winger for Cork Con and Munster A.

In my opinion, Flannery is a far better full-back than out-half. For the Ireland under-20's he was very dangerous coming in as a second receiver and picking good lines from deep.

Comment

French has been featuring more as a winger for Cork Con and Munster A.

In my opinion, Flannery is a far better full-back than out-half. For the Ireland under-20's he was very dangerous coming in as a second receiver and picking good lines from deep.
                He was also better at 10 than Healy. Healy struggled in a few games although the talent is there to see. Flannery was excellent at fullback he just has to practice more catching high kicks. I think Flannery could become the long term 15 for Munsteronce he breaks through in a season or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
                  Gallaghers nothing special from what I’ve seen of him . I thought back 3 wasn’t an area crying out for a signing . If it was player with experience and the x factor maybe .
                  +1.
                  Wing is one of those positions that we (Ireland) produce a lot of top quality players in.

I'm with you on the x-factor comment and guys with rare physical attributes are always welcome.

One thing we don't see in the Irish gene pool is 130kg guys, who can run 100 metres in 10.8 seconds and offload ( see Nemani Nadolo ).

Comment

Originally posted by TheCorkexile View Post
                    Some of them players just are not up to it, have you seen how Goggin played on the wing and Nash was awful last time out!
                    SShhhh, he’s playing Sunday

Comment

Goggin has been very good any time I've seen him play this year.Been on the bench too much though. Nash has played a few times, and I haven't been too impressed. But some of the posters who know his game better say he has huge potential.
                      "Fineen Wycherley was everywhere. When I watched this video back late on Saturday night I half expected to look up from my laptop to find him in my kitchen ' TRK Nov 3rd 2019 following Cardiff v Munster

Comment

Originally posted by FORWARD.... View Post
                        Goggin has been very good any time I've seen him play this year.Been on the bench too much though. Nash has played a few times, and I haven't been too impressed. But some of the posters who know his game better say he has huge potential.
                        Agree with you- for me Goggin has been playing very well- at centre. They clearly want to keep Scannell at 12, so then you face the choice of the international centre, or Goggin- which is no choice, really. Although determined, he’s not a wing. With the centre coming in next year It will be very busy at 12 & 13, presumably Arnold or Goggin,
                        more likely Arnold, will be looking elsewhere.

Comment

Rory Suttor (UCC) on the bench for Munster A. Former Oz U20 no.7. Never seen him play but wonder if Munster are having a look.

Comment

1. Andrew Conway
                            2. Keith Earls
                            3. Calvin Nash
                            4. Darren Sweetnam
                            5. Alex Wootton
                            6. Mike Haley
                            7. Shane Daly
                            8. Liam Coombes
                            9. Sean French
                            10. Jonathan Wren
                            11. Jake Flannery

12. Dan Goggin
                            13. Sam Arnold
                            14. Ales McHenry
                            15. Alan Tynan

Way too many players in that list, no idea why we're signing another. Wooton prob gone at end of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobyglen View Post

Way too many players in that list, no idea why we're signing another. Wooton prob gone at end of the season.
                              Agree there's too many, but I seem to be in the minority in my opinion on Alex Wootton. He's been injured a lot, but I think he has a far higher ceiling than a lot of other players on the list.

Comment

Hopefully S French sorts out his defence. He has a rare attacking ability that can conjure up something from nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X