Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Munster Squad 2019-2020

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/s...gallagher.html
    When things go wrong, blame McGahan

    Comment


      Still hope it’s not true...

      Comment


        Apparently Nemani Nadolo and Julian Savea will be leaving the Top14 this summer https://www.ruck.co.uk/transfer-rumo...ership-return/

        These two guys could single-handedly transform Munster's attack and they are very different types of players to the backs Munster normally produce. Would Munster have the finance for either of them?

        Comment


          I don't think the backs is the main area we need to bolster, tbh. With Fineen Wycherly and Tadhg Beirne unavailable due to injury, JVG ended up selecting Arno Botha as the lock cover for the Racing game. This is just a daft situation to be in. Unfortunately for both us and him, DOS just hasn't shown he has what it takes for this level of rugby - if he wasn't also injured, it doesn't reflect well that he couldn't even make the bench for Paris.

          Wycherley has been played mostly at lock this season IIRC, despite being a bit short for the position at 6'4" - that said, he's slightly taller than one of our consistent starters at lock, 6'3" Billy Holland. Billy is near the end of his playing career, whether it's this season or next, and the only two "up & coming" players that I'm aware of who are taller than Fineen are Gavin Coombes at 6'6" and Seán O'Connor at 6'5". I know Coombes has been played at lock before, but only because it says so in his player profile - I can only ever remember seeing him selected in the back row. I've no idea what's going on with O'Connor - I had thought he seemed to be on a path to regular senior games, but I don't think he has played for us once this season despite now being on a development contract. Apart from them, what height is Thomas Ahern? Does he look like breaking through next year?
          Tis but a scratch.

          Comment


            Originally posted by mr chips View Post
            I don't think the backs is the main area we need to bolster, tbh. With Fineen Wycherly and Tadhg Beirne unavailable due to injury, JVG ended up selecting Arno Botha as the lock cover for the Racing game. This is just a daft situation to be in. Unfortunately for both us and him, DOS just hasn't shown he has what it takes for this level of rugby - if he wasn't also injured, it doesn't reflect well that he couldn't even make the bench for Paris.

            Wycherley has been played mostly at lock this season IIRC, despite being a bit short for the position at 6'4" - that said, he's slightly taller than one of our consistent starters at lock, 6'3" Billy Holland. Billy is near the end of his playing career, whether it's this season or next, and the only two "up & coming" players that I'm aware of who are taller than Fineen are Gavin Coombes at 6'6" and Seán O'Connor at 6'5". I know Coombes has been played at lock before, but only because it says so in his player profile - I can only ever remember seeing him selected in the back row. I've no idea what's going on with O'Connor - I had thought he seemed to be on a path to regular senior games, but I don't think he has played for us once this season despite now being on a development contract. Apart from them, what height is Thomas Ahern? Does he look like breaking through next year?

            Ahern is 6'8. Ahern is more than good enough to break through now but I'd say they don't want to rush him.

            ​​​​​

            Comment


              Originally posted by mr chips View Post
              I don't think the backs is the main area we need to bolster, tbh. With Fineen Wycherly and Tadhg Beirne unavailable due to injury, JVG ended up selecting Arno Botha as the lock cover for the Racing game. This is just a daft situation to be in. Unfortunately for both us and him, DOS just hasn't shown he has what it takes for this level of rugby - if he wasn't also injured, it doesn't reflect well that he couldn't even make the bench for Paris.

              Wycherley has been played mostly at lock this season IIRC, despite being a bit short for the position at 6'4" - that said, he's slightly taller than one of our consistent starters at lock, 6'3" Billy Holland. Billy is near the end of his playing career, whether it's this season or next, and the only two "up & coming" players that I'm aware of who are taller than Fineen are Gavin Coombes at 6'6" and Seán O'Connor at 6'5". I know Coombes has been played at lock before, but only because it says so in his player profile - I can only ever remember seeing him selected in the back row. I've no idea what's going on with O'Connor - I had thought he seemed to be on a path to regular senior games, but I don't think he has played for us once this season despite now being on a development contract. Apart from them, what height is Thomas Ahern? Does he look like breaking through next year?
              Anyone know what the Sean O Connor situation is- I thought I saw he was playing AIL, how is he doing. last year I thought he was shaping up nicely, and am surprised he hasn’t featured this year.

              Comment


                Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                I don't think the backs is the main area we need to bolster, tbh. With Fineen Wycherly and Tadhg Beirne unavailable due to injury, JVG ended up selecting Arno Botha as the lock cover for the Racing game. This is just a daft situation to be in. Unfortunately for both us and him, DOS just hasn't shown he has what it takes for this level of rugby - if he wasn't also injured, it doesn't reflect well that he couldn't even make the bench for Paris.

                Wycherley has been played mostly at lock this season IIRC, despite being a bit short for the position at 6'4" - that said, he's slightly taller than one of our consistent starters at lock, 6'3" Billy Holland. Billy is near the end of his playing career, whether it's this season or next, and the only two "up & coming" players that I'm aware of who are taller than Fineen are Gavin Coombes at 6'6" and Seán O'Connor at 6'5". I know Coombes has been played at lock before, but only because it says so in his player profile - I can only ever remember seeing him selected in the back row. I've no idea what's going on with O'Connor - I had thought he seemed to be on a path to regular senior games, but I don't think he has played for us once this season despite now being on a development contract. Apart from them, what height is Thomas Ahern? Does he look like breaking through next year?
                O'Connor's non-selection is surprising, Rassie seemed to rate him quite highly. I think he is similar enough to Wycherley, in that he will probably end-up as a better 6 long-term, than second-rower. Still though, I think he could provide more than adequate pro-14 level cover at lock.

                Not sure about Coombes' height on the Munster rugby profile. I would be pretty surprised if he was as tall as 6-foot-6, but he probably has the most power out of Wycherley, O'Connor or O'Donoghue.

                According to world rugby( https://www.world.rugby/u20/teams/2749 ), Ahern is 2.04 metres, which seems to be more accurate than the Munster rugby profiles. He has a really big frame and he has a lot of filling out to do, but even now, he is probably a similar weight to James Ryan, if not heavier. If last year's JWC was anything to go by, he is probably ready for professional rugby now. He had a number of positive collisions against some big English players with premiership experience(see 126-kg Joel Kpoku).

                Comment


                  Ahern looks like he still needs to run round in the shower to get wet. He's still got somewhat of a GAA type bodytype. If he can put on the bulk and still be athletic he has the potential to be a big player for us. The idea behind signing Snyman is that he will fill the position in the 2nd row with Kleyn while Ahern and Paddy Kelly develop physically.

                  I can see Billy Holland being kept on as there is the potential that Kleyn and Synman could be missing at the same time for the Autumn Internationals and the team will experience. Unfortunately I think O'Shea just didn't do enough when he got his chances over Christmas to be certain of a contract renewal.
                  \"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

                  \"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

                  I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

                  Comment


                    If anyone has more up-to-date info about how O'Connor is progressing, it'd be interesting to hear it. As a couple of us have said, he seemed to be developing well and yet has been virtually unheard of since the start of the current season. Lock is a position of real need - especially now with Beirne effectively ruled out for most of the remainder of the season - and it's not enough to keep relying on Kleyn/Holland/Wycherley, as we saw at the weekend.

                    If Ahern needs to bulk up, hopefully that shouldn't be a problem - most lads seem well capable of building onto their frames with the right nutrition, S&C etc. Paulie has slimmed down drastically since retiring, and I remember meeting Dave Foley back when he was maybe 20 and thinking his upper arms were barely any thicker than my wrists!
                    Tis but a scratch.

                    Comment


                      Last time I saw Sean O'Connor was when he togged out as an extra for the Leinster game.
                      So, he is near the squad. Probably just outside European squad with the likes of Conor Oliver and John Hodnett.
                      Those named in Euro squad, Gavin Coombes and Jack O'Sullivan, are clearly ahead for back row slots.
                      He'd have been be behind Coombes, Wycherley and up to now, Darren O'Shea, for a lock slot.

                      Does anyone know who travelled as extras for the match in Paris?
                      I saw Jack O'Sullivan and Liam O'Connor on TV. Missed a couple of others. I presume Healy, McCarthy, plus another hooker.
                      I doubt he travelled.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Perico View Post
                        Last time I saw Sean O'Connor was when he togged out as an extra for the Leinster game.
                        So, he is near the squad. Probably just outside European squad with the likes of Conor Oliver and John Hodnett.
                        Those named in Euro squad, Gavin Coombes and Jack O'Sullivan, are clearly ahead for back row slots.
                        He'd have been be behind Coombes, Wycherley and up to now, Darren O'Shea, for a lock slot.

                        Does anyone know who travelled as extras for the match in Paris?
                        I saw Jack O'Sullivan and Liam O'Connor on TV. Missed a couple of others. I presume Healy, McCarthy, plus another hooker.
                        I doubt he travelled.
                        Healy traveled anyway.

                        \"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

                        \"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

                        I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Mumhain View Post
                          Apparently Nemani Nadolo and Julian Savea will be leaving the Top14 this summer https://www.ruck.co.uk/transfer-rumo...ership-return/

                          These two guys could single-handedly transform Munster's attack and they are very different types of players to the backs Munster normally produce. Would Munster have the finance for either of them?
                          No hope the IRFU would sanction

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
                            Still hope it’s not true...
                            You never know, your post might be gold in a couple of years

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Redcafe1 View Post

                              You never know, your post might be gold in a couple of years
                              Nothing against they guy (obviously), nor against imports- it’s just that I think Haley is/ can be a fine player, Daly, although I’d like to see him at 13, looks like an able deputy, Sweetnam might do a decent job there, and that’s not even considering what we have coming through the academy. It’s the pack (second row, 7 particularly) and half backs I worry about, but even then I think if we could get reliably get extra bit, in terms of skill under pressure, from what we have, we’d be a long way ahead of where we are.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

                                Nothing against they guy (obviously), nor against imports- it’s just that I think Haley is/ can be a fine player, Daly, although I’d like to see him at 13, looks like an able deputy, Sweetnam might do a decent job there, and that’s not even considering what we have coming through the academy. It’s the pack (second row, 7 particularly) and half backs I worry about, but even then I think if we could get reliably get extra bit, in terms of skill under pressure, from what we have, we’d be a long way ahead of where we are.


                                Haley, Daly, Wooton, Earls, Conway, Sweetnam, Tynan, Wren, Bowen - if we're bringing in a back three player you'd assume that someone isn't staying.

                                "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

                                "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


                                "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X