No announcement yet.

Munster Squad 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having too many scrum halves (or any position for that matter) can work against you in the long run but from what we have seen from our coaching staff recently I think we can have faith that they will pick the best options for Munster from the potential players in the squad

Comment

Originally posted by coolbawn View Post
      I think (and we obviously all hope) that McCarthy will be good. Intelligent, fast, eye for a break and box kicked well to orders in South Africa, I think, didn't he ? In other words, good material for Larkham to work on. I have no idea how fast and accurate his pass is - it's hard to tell most of them apart with the naked eye.

He looks mild but 2 years in U20s, captain in second year usual means you have a strong character. Should complement Casey well in some matchday squads. More of a Murray-like athlete than Casey-like ferret. Cronin would be half athlete, half ferret I suppose.
      According to wiki Casey is 5’ 5’ and 12st, Mc Carthy is six inches taller and a stone heavier- Murray is 6’ 2’ and 14 st and a few pounds. Not quite sure how that maps to the ferret - athlete distinction but is seems to me McCarthy is some distance from Murray, stature wise and every other way.

Just had a look on line and it 13 months since his move to Munster was announced- and in each case it was as Munster number 2, well before his arrival. Ally has been doing a fantastic job starting and benching- I haven’t seen anything in mccarthy to suggest he is ready to take over that role- let alone rival Murray. I hope we don’t waste months finding that out and blocking Casey.

Comment

I think we are still light of experience at 9. Dunc hart and now alby have left. . Murray no doubt will be camp Andy from late jan to early April. That leaves Cronin who is ok at best that really had only played PRO14 level, McCarthy who seems to be the new kid on the block that nobody wanted or rated and Casey who is still very very young. What happens if Murray picks up a injury. ?

Comment

IIRC, McCarthy's move was announced well in advance and he only joined us during the summer. I have only seen him play once or twice, and I think one of those was the away game against Cheetahs which looks to have been an anomalous performance by the team as a whole, in part due to the effects of playing at altitude. I wouldn't write him off just yet. That said, I agree that Casey looks like a special player already and I certainly wouldn't want his progress to be hindered in any way.
          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see if Casey is added to the Euro squad when Alby leaves or will they leave it with Murray, Cronin and McCarthy in case they need to make a change elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

According to wiki Casey is 5’ 5’ and 12st, Mc Carthy is six inches taller and a stone heavier- Murray is 6’ 2’ and 14 st and a few pounds. Not quite sure how that maps to the ferret - athlete distinction but is seems to me McCarthy is some distance from Murray, stature wise and every other way.

Just had a look on line and it 13 months since his move to Munster was announced- and in each case it was as Munster number 2, well before his arrival. Ally has been doing a fantastic job starting and benching- I haven’t seen anything in mccarthy to suggest he is ready to take over that role- let alone rival Murray. I hope we don’t waste months finding that out and blocking Casey.
              Ive noticed that McCarthy has very small guns for a pro rugger

Needs to start on the preacher curls, for optics more than functionality

Comment

McCarthy, I think, came off the bench in European and Pro14 semis so he has some experience in spite of his injuries. Not sure how how many minutes he got but at least he will have experience of being involved in big match atmospheres, which will help if he gets selected for the pool matches. I'm really optimistic about him outperforming the doubters but obviously wish all 4 well and am excited by Casey. Cometh the hour ....

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                  IIRC, McCarthy's move was announced well in advance and he only joined us during the summer. I have only seen him play once or twice, and I think one of those was the away game against Cheetahs which looks to have been an anomalous performance by the team as a whole, in part due to the effects of playing at altitude. I wouldn't write him off just yet. That said, I agree that Casey looks like a special player already and I certainly wouldn't want his progress to be hindered in any way.
                  It was all over the papers in mid October last year, if I remember the contract was announced inFebruary or so, maybe earlier. I’m not writing him off- be he was was heralded as number 2 to Murray- I do not think that at this stage we can sensibly anoint anyone as that (other than alby).

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

It was all over the papers in mid October last year, if I remember the contract was announced inFebruary or so, maybe earlier. I’m not writing him off- be he was was heralded as number 2 to Murray- I do not think that at this stage we can sensibly anoint anyone as that (other than alby).
                    The team announcement for the Sarries game will tell us a bit about where Larkham's sees him at present. Time will tell how far he can take it, if indeed he's named in the 23 for that match.

Whoever Alby's successor may be, they're likely to be coming on at some point against Sarries two weeks in a row. That's a huge challenge. The stuff of dreams.

I wish whoever it is the best.

Comment

McCarthy is a competent 9 at pro14 level, have seen him in schools and under 20. leinster were very keen (particularly Noel McNamara) in getting Casey up there - was never going to happen though. Casey's ceiling is miles higher than McCarthy . McCarthy has a good pass but is a physically light guy who struggles defensively a fair bit

Comment

Originally posted by SlurpySlurps View Post

Ive noticed that McCarthy has very small guns for a pro rugger

Needs to start on the preacher curls, for optics more than functionality
                        That’s why Leinster let him go. Can’t have a fella with small guns wandering around Coppers telling people he’s one of the goys.

Comment

At the press conference today, Larkham said that Alby was a great coach to the younger 9s and would be sorely missed. Sounds like they made a fight to keep him a little longer.
                          "Fineen Wycherley was everywhere. When I watched this video back late on Saturday night I half expected to look up from my laptop to find him in my kitchen ' TRK Nov 3rd 2019 following Cardiff v Munster

Comment

So, as we approach year end, how’s the squad shaping up?

I think we’re looking very healthy in the front rows. Good quality and lots of depth with three or more good options in each position. Knox looks the business.

Lock is a bit of an issue. Kleyn is decent and Billy, Beirne and Fineen can all do a solid job alongside him but we need more. Snyman would be a great addition. Hopefully Ahern will also develop well over the next year or two.

Back row is improving rapidly, although I think our best bet is to move POM to 7 to accommodate JOD, Fineen or Beirne at 6. JOS and Hodnet also need more opportunities, with TOD getting older and Botha unlikely to be renewed.

Scrum half is another issue. I still have plenty of faith in Murray, and McCarthy looks ok, but I think Casey has to be fast-tracked to offer a quality alternative. He looks ready.

OH situation looks reasonably good on paper but we need them fit. Joey coming back will be like a new signing, as we’ve been saying for ages...

Centres lack a bit of depth. I like Scannell (at 12), Farrell (at 12 or 13) and Goggin (at 13) but we need a couple more options. Arnold’s a bit one dimensional. Daly could move in to 13, where he played in his younger days and of course De Allende would add more bosh, but does he have the distribution we’re after?

First choice back three is very good but I think we need Sweetnam back, and Nash and Flannery to come through, to give us more options. Could Zeebs also make a return?

Overall, we’re still not quite at the level of Leinster or Saracens but we’re stronger than we’ve been in some time. I can see why JVG has targeted the two Saffers and, assuming they sign, I think we’ll be in pretty good shape next season.

Comment

The squad is shaping up nicely. Players coming through and quality signings on the way.

I know people are complaining about the academy but the academy is like a time warp in the sense that Munsters current lack of depth cant be blamed on the current academy but the academy of 10 or 15 years ago. Back then I didn't hear too many complaints even though there were clear warning signs. Those running munster did a bad job in planning ahead.

That's not to say the current academy is anywhere near where it should be but at least there's a steady supply of players coming through now.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                                So, as we approach year end, how’s the squad shaping up?

I think we’re looking very healthy in the front rows. Good quality and lots of depth with three or more good options in each position. Knox looks the business.

Lock is a bit of an issue. Kleyn is decent and Billy, Beirne and Fineen can all do a solid job alongside him but we need more. Snyman would be a great addition. Hopefully Ahern will also develop well over the next year or two.

Back row is improving rapidly, although I think our best bet is to move POM to 7 to accommodate JOD, Fineen or Beirne at 6. JOS and Hodnet also need more opportunities, with TOD getting older and Botha unlikely to be renewed.

Scrum half is another issue. I still have plenty of faith in Murray, and McCarthy looks ok, but I think Casey has to be fast-tracked to offer a quality alternative. He looks ready.

OH situation looks reasonably good on paper but we need them fit. Joey coming back will be like a new signing, as we’ve been saying for ages...

Centres lack a bit of depth. I like Scannell (at 12), Farrell (at 12 or 13) and Goggin (at 13) but we need a couple more options. Arnold’s a bit one dimensional. Daly could move in to 13, where he played in his younger days and of course De Allende would add more bosh, but does he have the distribution we’re after?

First choice back three is very good but I think we need Sweetnam back, and Nash and Flannery to come through, to give us more options. Could Zeebs also make a return?

Overall, we’re still not quite at the level of Leinster or Saracens but we’re stronger than we’ve been in some time. I can see why JVG has targeted the two Saffers and, assuming they sign, I think we’ll be in pretty good shape next season.
                                I would very much like to see Casey given more time ahead of McCarthy - he's a totally different player to Murray and the two can compliment each other perfectly.

I think we're seeing that Fineen is more a 6 than a lock, which still leaves us a little thin there but Snyman should help.

I always had high-hoped for Arnold but not sure he has the attacking ability at the top level, unfortunately I think he will be the one to lose out with DeAllende arriving. Goggin has really impressed me over the past season and a half and if given more game time I think could be on Farrell's radar

Comment

Working...
                                X