Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Munster Squad 2019-2020

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by SlurpySlurps View Post

    Thats a shame if the case, he definitely has something to offer, especially if Arno goes next year, we dont have much cover at 8...I see JOD and JOS as more natural 6s
    Yes....and rough on him to be looking for a team at this point (I assume he is looking).

    Comment


      Originally posted by SlurpySlurps View Post

      Thats a shame if the case, he definitely has something to offer, especially if Arno goes next year, we dont have much cover at 8...I see JOD and JOS as more natural 6s
      So we should carry him for a year in case we might need him next season? That's not the way it works. I like PB, but unfortunately he's below the required standard. There's a reason he was allowed to leave in the first place. It's unfortunate that he was part of the cull at Pau, but that's no reason to give him a contract. I'm sure he'll be able to pick up a contract in Pro D2 or the Championship.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

        So we should carry him for a year in case we might need him next season? That's not the way it works. I like PB, but unfortunately he's below the required standard. There's a reason he was allowed to leave in the first place. It's unfortunate that he was part of the cull at Pau, but that's no reason to give him a contract. I'm sure he'll be able to pick up a contract in Pro D2 or the Championship.
        No im saying that in my opinion, he can at best challenge for a first team squad place this year, and at worst be useful backup while CJ is away, and become even more valuable next year when Arno goes.

        Hes the best / only natural no 8 we have produced since Leamy, and would far prefer offering him a contract vs Jed Holloway

        Comment


          Originally posted by SlurpySlurps View Post

          No im saying that in my opinion, he can at best challenge for a first team squad place this year, and at worst be useful backup while CJ is away, and become even more valuable next year when Arno goes.

          Hes the best / only natural no 8 we have produced since Leamy, and would far prefer offering him a contract vs Jed Holloway
          Wasn’t powerful enough at 8. His last season with us he was shifted to 7. We have some talented young 8s coming through. Don’t think we really need him for that position.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

            Wasn’t powerful enough at 8. His last season with us he was shifted to 7. We have some talented young 8s coming through. Don’t think we really need him for that position.
            Who are the young talented no 8's?

            They tried to convert Hodnett to hooker

            Jack O'S will end up at 6, hes c. 6ft 1 and 15 stone

            Comment


              Originally posted by SlurpySlurps View Post

              Who are the young talented no 8's?

              They tried to convert Hodnett to hooker

              Jack O'S will end up at 6, hes c. 6ft 1 and 15 stone

              Think JOS is over 16st at this stage. He's a great ball player so 8 would be his best position imo. Hodnett was excellent at 8 for the U20s but he looks like he could end up at 7.


              There's also Gavin Coombes who has hardly featured this season.

              Comment


                Originally posted by barryfitz87 View Post

                I was just thinking about him this morning and what happened. He was in a few photos in pre-season but I don't think he played in any of the pre-season games. I'm guessing he wasn't offered a contract beyond training.
                Paddy came on during the pre-season game against London Irish in Cork. Peter McCabe was there also but I don't remember if he played. Peter is back in Connacht now although I don't know if he is a medical joker or has a new contract after he did his pre-season with Munster.

                I also am disappointed that Gavin Coombes didn't get a shot (he played pre-season but I don't think he has had a Pro-14 game). He looks built to be an 8 but it would seem O'Sullivan impressed more in training and got his chance

                Comment


                  Originally posted by SlurpySlurps View Post

                  Who are the young talented no 8's?

                  They tried to convert Hodnett to hooker

                  Jack O'S will end up at 6, hes c. 6ft 1 and 15 stone
                  JOS looks naturally powerful enough to make it to me. His height is not an issue for 8 (CJ is 6’1”) and he will fill out more over the next couple of years.

                  When you say “they tried to convert Hodnett to hooker”, who, what and when? He’s still playing back row now, so is still in the mix afaik.

                  The point is that these lads may make it. Butler tried and couldn’t, so why bring him back in and block their path?

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by dropkick View Post


                    Think JOS is over 16st at this stage. He's a great ball player so 8 would be his best position imo. Hodnett was excellent at 8 for the U20s but he looks like he could end up at 7.


                    There's also Gavin Coombes who has hardly featured this season.
                    Coombes is big alright, but he’s a bit taller than most 8s. May actually count against him. Got 20 minutes against the Cheetahs this season, but can’t remember which position.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

                      JOS looks naturally powerful enough to make it to me. His height is not an issue for 8 (CJ is 6’1”) and he will fill out more over the next couple of years.

                      When you say “they tried to convert Hodnett to hooker”, who, what and when? He’s still playing back row now, so is still in the mix afaik.

                      The point is that these lads may make it. Butler tried and couldn’t, so why bring him back in and block their path?
                      Was talking to one of the academy coaches, hodnett wasnt keen, hes going to be a 7 from now on and has been playing there for UCC, with Ryan Murphy 8

                      Paddy B has 64 munster caps, and has been a pro for 8 years +. In my book that already constitutes “making it”. Agree that it’s debatable whether he would be good enough for first 23 but would prefer a limerick lad “blocking” someones path than holloway or botha. In any case, if they cant get past him...doesn’t that mean they are not good enough anyway?

                      With all due respect, CJ is a freak, JOS will be a fine player but think he is similar to JOD...also I think Finneen will also end up at 6...unfortunate that some of our best prospects likely fighting for 1 spot

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by SlurpySlurps View Post

                        Was talking to one of the academy coaches, hodnett wasnt keen, hes going to be a 7 from now on and has been playing there for UCC, with Ryan Murphy 8

                        Could be a very good move, given the competition for 6 and 8, and we could do with home growing a top class 7.

                        i don’t think Butler vs Botha is a contest- and until we have someone who can oust Arno we are lucky to have him. Jed is quite another matter, overly cautious temporary signing- but at least that’s now done and dusted.

                        Comment


                          Where is all this Paddy Butler revisionism coming from? He wasn't nearly powerful enough to be a successful 8 for us so we tried to convert him to a 7 and that didn't work out either. He shouldn't be near our squad. Arno is a former springbok no 8, Butler couldn't make it at Munster or Pau. There's no comparison.
                          Last edited by B.A.; 17th-November-2019, 09:02.
                          When things go wrong, blame McGahan

                          Comment


                            he played almost 100 games for pau and was first choice in his first 2 seasons in a back row with ben mowen and steffon armitage...think that qualifies as making it PAL

                            not making him out to be a potential lion here, but think he could be a useful, relatively cheap and most importantly Irish squad player

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by SlurpySlurps View Post
                              he played almost 100 games for pau and was first choice in his first 2 seasons in a back row with ben mowen and steffon armitage...think that qualifies as making it PAL

                              not making him out to be a potential lion here, but think he could be a useful, relatively cheap and most importantly Irish squad player
                              Robin Copeland amassed 71 caps for Munster in a backrow containing CJ Stander and Pete O'Mahony.

                              I'd rather see some of the 20's younglings thrown into the side than either Butler or Copeland tbh. We've been there and done that and they weren't good enough
                              I am the million man.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by SlurpySlurps View Post
                                he played almost 100 games for pau and was first choice in his first 2 seasons in a back row with ben mowen and steffon armitage...think that qualifies as making it PAL

                                not making him out to be a potential lion here, but think he could be a useful, relatively cheap and most importantly Irish squad player
                                Spin it how you like but Pau were not a strong side and Paddy is currently without a contract when he should be at his peak. That’s not really a good sign.

                                He’s not really going to add anything to our squad. Let the other lads at it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X