Munster Squad 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rug...-38457854.html

Indo suggesting we are signing World Cup cover. JvG had also signalled this in a press conference a few weeks ago. In my opinion very sad if true.

Even if Kleyn and Beirne are both in the squad we still have the following senior players who can play 4, 5, 6, 8 (Billy, DOS, Fineen, SOC, Gavin Coombes, Botha, JOD and ta a stretch TOD at 6 in Pro14 level), then we have 5 more in the academy (Aherne, Kelly, EOC, JOS, Hodnett). That is 12 contracted players (plus TOD) for 6 positions in the 23 (4, 5, 6, 8, 19, 20). How can that be considered in need of short term cover?

Comment

Agreed, this is the time for our up & coming players will to stake a claim and showcase their abilities. Otherwise what's the point in having them on the roster?
      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Missing 12 first team players until November possibly. Would be a good chance to see some of the more promising young fellas given a chance but if JVG sees the need for outside signings then clearly some of the younger lads aren't up to it yet.

Comment

So any 3 month signings on the cards?
          Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
            So any 3 month signings on the cards?
            Indo says “Waratah’s Jed Holloway”, apparently covers second and back row....where it seems to me we have real talent coming through who could do with a consistent run of games, and Billy, TOD and other experienced players.

Comment

Not really sure we need any, would prefer to give some of our own lads game time, Wycherley, O Shea, Holland, O Connor etc. at lock instead of bringing in a short term signings. Other teams will have similar problems. We have a big squad let’s use it and give lads a chance. Other sides will be in the same boat.

Also we’re in an easier conference this year without Glasgow. Less points this year will win it.
              "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

Originally posted by Lonstonitis View Post
                Missing 12 first team players until November possibly. Would be a good chance to see some of the more promising young fellas given a chance but if JVG sees the need for outside signings then clearly some of the younger lads aren't up to it yet.

Or JVG could be only looking short to medium term results to make himself look good.

​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post

Or JVG could be only looking short to medium term results to make himself look good.

​​​​
                  So damned if does and damned if he doesn't?

Comment

​​​​
                    Jaysus that’s some perspective of the Munster management team!!
                    "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

​​​​
                      To be fair, with the signing of Larkham and Rowntree, cutting corners is probably one thing you can't accuse Munster of. They're investing (what I assume is) serious money for top top quality coaches to push on their current squad.

On a side note, Craig Casey feels like a new signing for Munster. I really hope to see him a bit this season. Looks a fantastic player.

Comment

Has Paddy Butler signed for Munster? JJ Hanrahan put up a video this morning and Butler was in full gear

Comment

Has Paddy Butler signed for Munster? JJ Hanrahan put up a video this morning and Butler was in full gear
                          Interesting. Perhaps he could be RWC cover. I think he could do a great job for Connacht. He is a HEC pool stage player for sure if he stays fit. I think he might block Coombes, JOS and Hodnett for us and we need to invest in them if we are going to progress (same reason I don't like the Botha signing or the Indo's reports above of Holloway)

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post

Interesting. Perhaps he could be RWC cover. I think he could do a great job for Connacht. He is a HEC pool stage player for sure if he stays fit. I think he might block Coombes, JOS and Hodnett for us and we need to invest in them if we are going to progress (same reason I don't like the Botha signing or the Indo's reports above of Holloway)
                            Interesting. JJ did say they were in Killarney where Munster had an open session today. Had he been playing regularly with Pau? is he still contracted there?

Comment

He was released by Pau at the end of last season, partly due to the new requirements in the TOP14 regarding the numbers of players in squads who were not "developed in France" (JIFF - French acronym for "players developed within France").

Its also why so many islanders are getting offered contracts at 18 in French academies even down at Federal 1 level (below the ProD2)

Comment

Yes as World Cup cover

Comment

Working...
                                X