Semi Final - Leinster v Munster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
    Pro14 teams usually suffer in Europe after a RWC because of the heavy contribution to the national sides, so next season may be written off regardless of shenanigans in the Munster set up.
    ​​​​​​
    But the first three months of it we'll be without Killer, Scannell, Ryan, POM, CJ, Murray, Carbery Earls, Farrell, and possibly Beirne & Conway.

We've had the biggest player clear out in years too, I'm not sure but IIRC 8 players have retired or moved on from Munster's books.

​​​​​With three or four new coaches on board and a few of the youngsters stepping up too it's inevitable we'll see significant changes, but success may be less likely come what may.

You'd have to think that the coaches have identified particular weaknesses in the player roster and that the big reduction in the wage bill may be pointing to one or two more signings post RWC.

And in any case we're still in year one of what's likely to be a three year process.
    We've been in year one, or occasionally year 2, of a three year process for 10 years now.

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

I think you’re being harsh. We have no idea why the lads are leaving. It’s not necessarily all about JVG. For all we know they left because the players had lost faith in them (see Farrell’s recent interview).

He recruited Beirne and Carbery, both of whom have been happy enough with him to sign contract extensions already.

Fineen and Goggin have made good progress this year. Loughman is now a regular Pro14 starter. Cronin is looking promising and a few more like SOC, Coombes and Daly are getting some games. He even gave Casey a cap, albeit due to last minute injury, which can’t have hurt our efforts to fend off other teams’ interest. That’s not a particularly bad record of player development.
      It's not really about why they left, for me. It's about the fact that (assuming everyone is being honest in their public statements) Munster offered two contracts to existing staff members in the expectation of having them accepted, and appear at least on the face of it to have been surprised that they turned them down.

Unless the offers and the statements are just for the sake of form and this was the outcome that was expected and desired, someone has taken their eye off the ball in a reasonably dramatic fashion.
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	EBA3C28C-4831-4D3A-91E4-2239F20B0188.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	2569415
        Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

It's not really about why they left, for me. It's about the fact that (assuming everyone is being honest in their public statements) Munster offered two contracts to existing staff members in the expectation of having them accepted, and appear at least on the face of it to have been surprised that they turned them down.

Unless the offers and the statements are just for the sake of form and this was the outcome that was expected and desired, someone has taken their eye off the ball in a reasonably dramatic fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
          Click image for larger version

Name:	EBA3C28C-4831-4D3A-91E4-2239F20B0188.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	2569415
          Great insights from Cummiskey again- the man is a mine of information.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

A strange obsession he has with Munster.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

We've been in year one, or occasionally year 2, of a three year process for 10 years now.
              Frustrating of course but Penney's departure is on Munster caving in to the clamour that Munster can only play one way regardless of who's wearing the shirt.
              No one could have foreseen the Axel tragedy and subsequent Rassie debacle.
              In that context hanging on to Van Graan for two more years would probably make him the longest serving head coach since Kidney.
              Given the chaos of the past 10 years it's a credit to so many players that they've maintained the degree of loyalty to the club that they have.
              Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

This game would have been easier if Leinster had won. They're wounded now and will want to make amends.
                I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                  This game would have been easier if Leinster had won. They're wounded now and will want to make amends.
                  Yep, they’ll be tired though. I expect they’ll start pretty ferociously, which is what they usually try to do, but if we can hold them out (or hold onto the ball) for the first 20 or so, we’ll have a good shot at overpowering them as the game goes on.

I want to see a bit of anger from our lads too. Still a big point to prove.

Comment

And it's a great chance to win a semi and wreck their season at the same time.

So far only Donal Lenihan has pointed out that they were short of talent on the bench because Jordi and Joey were missing. I'd like to see more whinging on this tbh.
                    Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                      They won last years heineken cup and beat us at same stage ,semi final in rds so i dont think it will make much difference.
                      for some of their players its a first loss in a major final ,thats going to hurt a bit for sure ,its up to us to see if we can inflict more pain and doubt in their heads .
                      i expect changes on their side but really its up to them to put their best team on the field at any given time. Talk of b teams by some is rubbish ,we can only play whats in front of us . If we are good enough we will win
                      Still there's a light I hold before me
                      You're the measure of my dreams
                      The measure of my dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

He really does hate Munster...…...I love his insecurity.

Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post

A strange obsession he has with Munster.
                          He lost the rag altogether with his main squeeze yesterday - giving some of the Leinster players 4/10 in his player ratings. For the good of his emotional wellbeing they're on a break at the moment, so he's seeking solace in his favourite side piece - trashing Munster.

Comment

Munster to win a tight game by one score i reckon. Not because Leinster are tired or feeling down or playing a B-team . Munster for all their troubles are a very good team with some very good players and have the beating of that Leinster team.

If we win, Leinster are not suddenly a bad team nor are we are a great team and vice versa. May the best team win.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuka View Post
                              Munster to win a tight game by one score i reckon. Not because Leinster are tired or feeling down or playing a B-team . Munster for all their troubles are a very good team with some very good players and have the beating of that Leinster team.

If we win, Leinster are not suddenly a bad team nor are we are a great team and vice versa. May the best team win.
                              That’s far too logical and sensible for this thread
                              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Leinster will be hurting badly and will want to put the loss behind them, Munster will be foaming at the mouth with all the crap we’ve been taking since the QF.

We have got to take our chances. We all know it’ll be an incredibly physical game. Schmidt probably holding his breath for the 80mins praying for no injuries.
                                We have to play smart, I’m not sure how we will plan on approaching the game when it comes to attacking but if it’s anything like Benetton we might as well stay at home. We can win but we need to be extremely clinical and bring massive intensity. If we bring the intensity we brought to the December match...and maybe Wycherley we can do it.
                                The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Working...
                                X