Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post

Now that is a funny post.

I am not convinced on Scannell - think he has the ability but not pushed on as he should have.

But Hayes was a consistently high performer and highly decorated, see this nice penalty try in what I think was his last match https://youtu.be/qzNmUPT45M8 and this match shows how the Murray of 2019 is a very different and I would say less effective player to the player of 2011. Has the game changed or has Joe changed the way he plays.
    Absolutely agree with you on Hayes.

I meant there’s no one to challenge Best over the last while.

Comment

Originally posted by blade View Post

Absolutely agree with you on Hayes.

I meant there’s no one to challenge Best over the last while.
      Ok. Read what you said differently. There was a lot of rewriting of the history books after Hayes departed. Ross was never in the same league although furlong definitely is. And perhaps better.

Comment

Ok. Read what you said differently. There was a lot of rewriting of the history books after Hayes departed. Ross was never in the same league although furlong definitely is. And perhaps better.
        Furlong is miles ahead of Hayes. Hayes was a relatively poor scrummager until he was in his 30s and never carried the ball. Offered nothing around the park in terms of handling or big carries. He was a great line-out lifter (partly due to his height) and had a good defensive work-rate for such a big man. But his level, even at his peak, was nowhere near Furlong.

Comment

Furlong was put up in the air twice ( embarrassing for a tight-head) over this season.
          Once against Connacht.. can’t remember the other opposition...maybe in an International. Hayes was never put in the air ! But, agree he’s a serious performer. Hayes was serious at the breakdown as well which freed up numbers when he cleaned out.

Comment

Furlong was put up in the air twice ( embarrassing for a tight-head) over this season.
            Once against Connacht.. can’t remember the other opposition...maybe in an International. Hayes was never put in the air ! But, agree he’s a serious performer. Hayes was serious at the breakdown as well which freed up numbers when he cleaned out.
            Your memory is short. Well into the mid-00s the Irish scrum was regularly beasted by France, England, Italy, Argentina, South Africa and others with Hayes at tight-head, in a way that has almost never happened with Furlong.

Comment

Originally posted by neliog93 View Post

Furlong is miles ahead of Hayes. Hayes was a relatively poor scrummager until he was in his 30s and never carried the ball. Offered nothing around the park in terms of handling or big carries. He was a great line-out lifter (partly due to his height) and had a good defensive work-rate for such a big man. But his level, even at his peak, was nowhere near Furlong.
              Hayes was very resilient. 11 seasons playing at a high level. 100+ caps. Two Heineken cups. Grand slam. Multiple triple crowns.

Comment

The positive side of Leinster winning tonight is that we can now say: We lost to the winner of the Heineken Cup (Saracens) in the semi, and the winner of the Pro 14 (Leinster) in the semi too!

Comment

Hayes was very resilient. 11 seasons playing at a high level. 100+ caps. Two Heineken cups. Grand slam. Multiple triple crowns.
                  Yes he was. Remarkably so. Doesn't change the fact he was nowhere near Furlong's level.

Comment

Originally posted by xRedmanx View Post
                    The positive side of Leinster winning tonight is that we can now say: We lost to the winner of the Heineken Cup (Saracens) in the semi, and the winner of the Pro 14 (Leinster) in the semi too!
                    The negative side is that we lost convincingly to both!

I'm probably in a small minority here, but my Munster highlight was the away HEC quarter-final win over a decent Edinburgh team. Away wins are still a rare enough commodity. Yes, Edinburgh's season fell apart after that, but doesn't the same usually happen to Munster once we exit Europe? Edinburgh had won their group convincingly and had put serious manners on the Warriors at Christmas. Winning away in Edinburgh showed that there is a bit more to Munster than just our Thomond "fortress".
                    "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                    Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post

The negative side is that we lost convincingly to both!

I'm probably in a small minority here, but my Munster highlight was the away HEC quarter-final win over a decent Edinburgh team. Away wins are still a rare enough commodity. Yes, Edinburgh's season fell apart after that, but doesn't the same usually happen to Munster once we exit Europe? Edinburgh had won their group convincingly and had put serious manners on the Warriors at Christmas. Winning away in Edinburgh showed that there is a bit more to Munster than just our Thomond "fortress".
                      Agree with you- and as pointed out earlier, a heck of a lot went badly for us but towards the end there was that undeniable momentum we all love.

Comment

Originally posted by neliog93 View Post

Your memory is short. Well into the mid-00s the Irish scrum was regularly beasted by France, England, Italy, Argentina, South Africa and others with Hayes at tight-head, in a way that has almost never happened with Furlong.
                        Hayes was never put in the air as stated in my post.
                        Furlong is some player but he was done badly against Wales this year. Different players but both great props. Pity the Munster Academy didn’t take Furlong into Munster after they met himself and his Father. Furlong apparently wore a Munster jersey that day. Our Academy Manager (past) and some others in the Academy didn’t think he was up to it.

Comment

Hayes was never put in the air as stated in my post.
                          Furlong is some player but he was done badly against Wales this year. Different players but both great props. Pity the Munster Academy didn’t take Furlong into Munster after they met himself and his Father. Furlong apparently wore a Munster jersey that day. Our Academy Manager (past) and some others in the Academy didn’t think he was up to it.
                          So the reason that Munster academy haven’t produced strong scrummaging props is because the academy management couldn’t spot obvious talent. Good job they’re in the past, for Munster and Ireland rugby both
                          Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Do you have a link to this? Or do you just have inside info?

Comment

Working...
                            X