Semi Final - Leinster v Munster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some perspective is needed here:
    1. We reached our third semi in europe in a row, our 5th in 8 seasons. That is phenomenal considering the financial resources compared to other clubs
    2. We were missing some key players at times throughout the season. Carbery after a great start for 3 months, Farrell until christmas, When we got a run of games with our first choice backline we looked impressive.
    3. The two key games we were beaten in (Saracens and Leinster) we were clearly beaten by better teams with double the international starters we have here in Munster. The decisive try from Cronin involved skills and ability our front row just dont have and im not sure any coaching will change that.

I agree with the above- a lot of fancied teams were knocked out in group stages and would love our consistency

Hopefully next year.........

Comment

And their two tries were scored by a Munsterman and a Kiwi.

Comment

Problems for Munster in this game revolved around the back row. POM was good in the line-out but he was physically dominated by Ruddock and the Leinster back row. Huge disparity in the stats and in overall impression. Conan outplayed the Munster back row to an embarrassing degree, and VDF was outstanding while Stander looked uncomfortable at 7 despite a couple of good carries (also did his usual carries straight into contact and then to ground without making any metres). That was the winning and losing of the game. The Munster tight five competed well in the set-pieces against more vaunted opponents; the back row was the difference.

In the backs, a few things didn't help either - Murray is still way off and must be looking over his shoulder at Cooney and others for the RWC. Carbery wasn't bad considering his lack of game-time but ultimately wasn't at the level required. Conway was more interested in getting in a fight than playing rugby, Haley was a disaster, embarrassing at times. The centres were quite good at least.

Comment

I actually thought Haley was good Saturday. And I felt calm with him for once

Comment

Originally posted by MunsterBakery View Post
            Try at the end aside, I agree. His tackling was superb, obviously other than that .

Comment

Need a world class Hooker now to move forward. Scannell is blocking most of our phase play at the moment. Gets in the way most of the time. Never seen him run more than 4 steps with the ball. Also, a poor scrummager he pops up first when the pressure comes on and puts our props and scrum under pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by MunsterBakery View Post
                Couldnt agree more. Haley has become a fall guy. When posters are writing critical pieces they automatically throw in the line "and Haley isnt good enough", regardless of how he plays.
                Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by cornerboy View Post

Couldnt agree more. Haley has become a fall guy. When posters are writing critical pieces they automatically throw in the line "and Haley isnt good enough", regardless of how he plays.
                  He wasn't as bad as some people make out, bit he wasn't as good as other people make out either. That missed tackle was Bobertesque.

My main gripe is that Conway is - by some distance - the best full back in the country. Why not play him there?
                  Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by oilean View Post
                    Some perspective is needed here:
                    1. We reached our third semi in europe in a row, our 5th in 8 seasons. That is phenomenal considering the financial resources compared to other clubs
                    2. We were missing some key players at times throughout the season. Carbery after a great start for 3 months, Farrell until christmas, When we got a run of games with our first choice backline we looked impressive.
                    3. The two key games we were beaten in (Saracens and Leinster) we were clearly beaten by better teams with double the international starters we have here in Munster. The decisive try from Cronin involved skills and ability our front row just dont have and im not sure any coaching will change that.

I agree with the above- a lot of fancied teams were knocked out in group stages and would love our consistency

Hopefully next year.........

If we're happy being a team that tops out at this point then clearly it's job done. We've been here or hereabouts for a decade.

Our back line has not looked impressive against a decent defence all year, whatever the line up.

And yes, we were clearly beaten by better teams. That's what a lot of people are unhappy about.

The issue for me is fairly simple. This Munster team, on the pitch, is less than the sum of its parts. We lack structure and cohesion in the backs, and we have no clear attacking philosophy. Nor is there any sign of one emerging.
                    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by cornerboy View Post

He's not good enough. Lacking in pace and incision coming forward, and prone to errors.

He's adequate at best. And he's not as good a full back as Conway.
                      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by wellboy View Post
                        Just to add to the above I think the gutter journalism currently out there from dublin centric media is really pissing me off. Leinster were barely beaten by Saracens while we were "hockeyed" by Leinster. Complete sh*te to be honest. Guys on off the ball asking are we close to the third province. Leinster have a better first 15 no doubt thats why the have the majority of the starting Irish team but we are not far away from them like we showed in the first 40mins and back in December. Saracens are a different kettle of fish and even if Leinster win the pro14 they still have the same soul searching as we do because they are a million miles from winning in Europe like we are once Saracens maintain where they area.
                        One or two injuries, a suspension and the refereeing of offside line and lateral passes would bring Sarries right back into the chasing back.
                        And then there's the old salary cap thingimmyjip
                        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by blade View Post
                          Need a world class Hooker now to move forward. Scannell is blocking most of our phase play at the moment. Gets in the way most of the time. Never seen him run more than 4 steps with the ball. Also, a poor scrummager he pops up first when the pressure comes on and puts our props and scrum under pressure.
                          I don't see a new hooker as a priority - we have NS, RM and KOB, I don't agree he is a poor scummager at all and given that it appears Sean Cronin seems to have dipped in Joe's eyes, I think he may be on the bench some the World cup, with the captaincy keeping (wrongly in my view) keeping Rory on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Redcafe1 View Post

I don't see a new hooker as a priority - we have NS, RM and KOB, I don't agree he is a poor scummager at all and given that it appears Sean Cronin seems to have dipped in Joe's eyes, I think he may be on the bench some the World cup, with the captaincy keeping (wrongly in my view) keeping Rory on the team.
                            In the modern game Hookers need to able to carry.
                            Our Hooker can’t and never will and it’s killing us. Sean isn’t out of favor because of rugby! . Agree, serious lack of hookers in the country at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by blade View Post

In the modern game Hookers need to able to carry.
                              Our Hooker can’t and never will and it’s killing us. Sean isn’t out of favor because of rugby! . Agree, serious lack of hookers in the country at the moment.
                              Without dismissing your opinion out of hand let me just dismiss your opinion out of hand. Niall Scannell is the best setpiece hooker in the country - his scrummaging and throwing is superb. He's also an excellent ball carrier in the tight - a very similar player to Jamie George actually. Front rows develop later than others and he is well on his way to being an international class hooker if he can maintain fitness like this year.

Cronin is unrivalled as a ball carrier in his position in Ireland, Dane Coles aside i dont think think theres another in world rugby and certainly not in Irish rugby since Woody, unfortunately he cant hit a barn door when it matters in the biggest games and thats his downfall (missed another two at the weekend).

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

He's not good enough. Lacking in pace and incision coming forward, and prone to errors.

He's adequate at best. And he's not as good a full back as Conway.
                                He’s not lacking in pace
                                "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Working...
                                X