Semi Final - Leinster v Munster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cornerboy View Post
    Negativity comes naturally to many people.
    It sure does, and being detached from reality comes naturally to many others.

Comment

Im not sure whats disappointing me more - the negativity towards our season and where we are as a club from both fans and media or the fact that we lost at the weekend to a better team. Right now ive come to terms with result but im still pissed at peoples reaction.

Some perspective is needed here:
      1. We reached our third semi in europe in a row, our 5th in 8 seasons. That is phenomenal considering the financial resources compared to other clubs
      2. We were missing some key players at times throughout the season. Carbery after a great start for 3 months, Farrell until christmas, When we got a run of games with our first choice backline we looked impressive.
      3. The two key games we were beaten in (Saracens and Leinster) we were clearly beaten by better teams with double the international starters we have here in Munster. The decisive try from Cronin involved skills and ability our front row just dont have and im not sure any coaching will change that.

I was extremely positive after the first half, we went toe to toe with them, bettered their scrum and made good inroads through midfield with some crisp passing. After the yellow and Cronins try it took the wind from under us and we crumbled while trying to exert pressure on them chasing the game. Poor individual and team execution. The score line flattered them i felt despite media reports.

We have some tasty young players coming through in the next 2-3 years and with the right people (i know we will deliver on our coaching ticket) and a little more expansion to the game plan we will be thereabouts next season. I actually watched the game with two recent ex players who think were not very far away from cracking things.

We just need a little luck, keep believing lads.

Comment

Just to add to the above I think the gutter journalism currently out there from dublin centric media is really pissing me off. Leinster were barely beaten by Saracens while we were "hockeyed" by Leinster. Complete sh*te to be honest. Guys on off the ball asking are we close to the third province. Leinster have a better first 15 no doubt thats why the have the majority of the starting Irish team but we are not far away from them like we showed in the first 40mins and back in December. Saracens are a different kettle of fish and even if Leinster win the pro14 they still have the same soul searching as we do because they are a million miles from winning in Europe like we are once Saracens maintain where they area.

Comment

Originally posted by wellboy View Post
          Just to add to the above I think the gutter journalism currently out there from dublin centric media is really pissing me off. Leinster were barely beaten by Saracens while we were "hockeyed" by Leinster. Complete sh*te to be honest. Guys on off the ball asking are we close to the third province. Leinster have a better first 15 no doubt thats why the have the majority of the starting Irish team but we are not far away from them like we showed in the first 40mins and back in December. Saracens are a different kettle of fish and even if Leinster win the pro14 they still have the same soul searching as we do because they are a million miles from winning in Europe like we are once Saracens maintain where they area.
          Putting Gutter journalism aside ,leinster were a hell of a lot closer to beating saracens than we were to beating leinster.
          Still there's a light I hold before me
          You're the measure of my dreams
          The measure of my dreams.

Comment

Leinster have a better 23, and then your judging two teams on how they played when matches last 80 minutes not 40. If you apply the 40 minutes judgement to how good teams are then Edinburgh and Treviso are ahead of us.

A bit of reality, On a good day we can put it up to any Leinster side, but it will take a poor Leinster side or performance for us to win, on our day at home we can beat almost everyone in the 3 leagues and would get the better of nearly all of them away from home, but in knockout full strength rugby Sarries and Leinster are ahead of us and by more than one score at that.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post

Putting Gutter journalism aside ,leinster were a hell of a lot closer to beating saracens than we were to beating leinster.
              Couldnt disagree more. remarkably similar games. Saracens kept Leinster scoreless after 32mins and pulled away after being neck and neck at half time. In that second half there was no doubt who was winning that game a lot like us v Leinster. You could replay that final and Saracens will win it 9 times out of 10, they are better than anyone else by a mile and the gap between the chasers is less obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

Leinster have a better 23, and then your judging two teams on how they played when matches last 80 minutes not 40. If you apply the 40 minutes judgement to how good teams are then Edinburgh and Treviso are ahead of us.

A bit of reality, On a good day we can put it up to any Leinster side, but it will take a poor Leinster side or performance for us to win, on our day at home we can beat almost everyone in the 3 leagues and would get the better of nearly all of them away from home, but in knockout full strength rugby Sarries and Leinster are ahead of us and by more than one score at that.

Hard to disagree with that, and why i cant undestand the crisis angle from media and some fans. When you are not goog enough you are not good enough, but that does not equate to crisis.

If Leinster have the majority of the Irish starting team ahead of our own Irish options why are we expecting to beat them? I wouldnt swap our current situation as a club ahead of any other in Europe except Leinster, Saracens, Toulouse (some talent coming through!) or maybe Racing. And even with Saracens success on the field i would prefer to be where we are now with our own identity and fan base in place.

Comment

I had a look at the brook:
                  "To misuse boxing parlance - they are not in our weight division - but few are. That does not mean the aren't reaching the achievements the IRFU consider acceptable.
                  There are problems, a toxic level of entitlement by the fans & what seems dysfunctional coaching / management set up, coupled with a worrying approach to player development"

I am glad they are enjoying their teams well deserved victory at the weekend. But the wheel always turns, we will be back.
                  "If all the wild horsemen of the apocalypse came around the corner O'Mahony would charge straight back at them."
                  Will Greenwood

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Fantastic View Post
                    "To misuse boxing parlance - they are not in our weight division - but few are. That does not mean the aren't reaching the achievements the IRFU consider acceptable.
                    There are problems, a toxic level of entitlement by the fans & what seems dysfunctional coaching / management set up, coupled with a worrying approach to player development"

I am glad they are enjoying their teams well deserved victory at the weekend. But the wheel always turns, we will be back.
                    Is that from our old pal Dave?

Comment

Spot on. Saracens beat both of us by double scores, and held Leinster scoreless in second half.
                      "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Hard to disagree with that, and why i cant undestand the crisis angle from media and some fans. When you are not goog enough you are not good enough, but that does not equate to crisis.

If Leinster have the majority of the Irish starting team ahead of our own Irish options why are we expecting to beat them? I wouldnt swap our current situation as a club ahead of any other in Europe except Leinster, Saracens, Toulouse (some talent coming through!) or maybe Racing. And even with Saracens success on the field i would prefer to be where we are now with our own identity and fan base in place.

Last week Cork hurling was in Crisis, this Week Tipperary are favorites for All Ireland Glory because Limerick are shot. People pay to much attention to the opinions of hacks and clowns.

Its simple enough for MR, we didnt win everything this year so we need to improve, the same happened last year and we made serious improvements (Carbery & Beirne), just not enough because the other teams improved as well. The same goes for all the provinces, Ulster have made improvements also, but they are still off the pace to challenge for a League or Cup title, their additions could be offset by their losses player wise also. Connacht have made improvements also but they are going to find it tough challenging in the League and Cup next season. Leinster will need to improve also if they are going to beat a team like Sarries, or an improving Toulouse team.

Next season will be different, the best teams could well struggle because of how many players they give to the national side for the RWC & 6N, they will most likely suffer more injuries also.

The only question we have to answer is will the limited resources be spent in the right place to bring about the improvements needed.

Comment

".....toxic level of entitlement by the fans....."
                          1/. Big mistake. It's an awful site.

2/. That actually made me laugh.

Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                          Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by glorob View Post

Is that from our old pal Dave?
                            Its not our friend Dave.
                            I have been enjoying the smugness of the Leinster fans online/in the press.You'd swear they're the all All Blacks.
                            I maybe in the minority, but i hope Glasgow stuff them at the weekend.
                            "If all the wild horsemen of the apocalypse came around the corner O'Mahony would charge straight back at them."
                            Will Greenwood

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post

2/. That actually made me laugh.

Those lads have never heard of irony me thinks.
                              Will Greenwood

Comment

Its not our friend Dave.
                                I have been enjoying the smugness of the Leinster fans online/in the press.You'd swear they're the all All Blacks.
                                I maybe in the minority, but i hope Glasgow stuff them at the weekend.
                                You are not in the minority.

Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Working...
                                X