Semi Final - Leinster v Munster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

Until our piano shifters start giving Murr ball to work off we could have Sonny Bill, Ashton, Dougie and Liam Williams out wide and all they'd be getting would be chilly.

​​​​​​I truly believe our issues are in the tight 5 and nothing is gonna improve until someone whips those ****ers to give the ball quicker and cleaner.
    ​​​​​
    munster have no on field coach, Sexton performs that role for Leinster
    He had a load of ball today. A load of it. They aren't an incredible tight 5 but they gave him ball. He just didn't use it quickly, pondered too much and then nearly always chose the wrong option.

His boxkicking wasn't even AIL standard.

Alby was noticeably better when he came on.
    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

A load of ballax written here. We lack aggression and forward momentum.
      Aggression being the most important.

Sort it out
      He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
        A load of ballax written here. We lack aggression and forward momentum.
        Aggression being the most important.

Sort it out
        for the majority of the first half the big carriers were making yards on almost every carry, after that is where the problem lies. too predictable, even today when it wasn't just one our runners, it was two out runners, and Leinster made the adjustment b/c there is relatively little deception going on. Look at Glasgow yesterday. they tore ulster apart b/c ulster had no clue where the ball was going. that is good attacking rugby, not this crap where you slog it out bear the gain line. some guys had good games, but after a while, if you aren't scoring tries against a team like Leinster, they're going to put some on you. that's just reality. keatley, bleyendaal, carbery......same story...great at times, not great when it counts...the one constant the past few years is felix jones. and i know i'm going to get blasted, and maybe its the pints talking, but i'd let murray go after the WC. he's not going to be around in 2023, so what is the use of keeping him on a central deal ? cooney or blade have surpassed him imo unless he regains his form of the past few years. let him make big cash in france/england/japan and keep alby to mentor mccarthy and casey for a year or two, then let one of them take the reins as the starting 9. many of the guys nearing or over 30 will be phased out over the next few years, why not start now so you develop a young 9/10 axis ?

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post

Ryan is a standard setter, tough, experienced and the academy players will benefit from that. On and off the pitch. Combine him with some of the academy lads and we may well move forward rather than the current static.
          Is Donnacha Ryan out of contract or is all this chatter just wishful thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

Until our piano shifters start giving Murr ball to work off we could have Sonny Bill, Ashton, Dougie and Liam Williams out wide and all they'd be getting would be chilly.

​​​​​​I truly believe our issues are in the tight 5 and nothing is gonna improve until someone whips those ****ers to give the ball quicker and cleaner.
            ​​​​​
            munster have no on field coach, Sexton performs that role for Leinster
            I can’t quite agree with that. Murray had loads of good ball to work with but he plays a Joe Schmidt slow methodical game which makes our backs virtually redundant. I see Murray as a great asset for Ireland but out of tune with his clubmates. I also DO lay blame on Felix for our toothless attack and our appalling skill set. Our use of the ball is dreadfully poor and our ball retention is likewise. One is the result of the other. Those skills are essential, they are coachable and they are correctable, but we have been talking about them for several seasons now and the common denominator is FJ. The other common denominator is JVG who did not address this problem and has allowed it to take root.
            Honeymoon is over, produce or leave.

Comment

Man that was a sickener. Must have had 60% + of possession in the first half and even when lowe was off the field we ended that 10 min spell 3-0 down.
              No plan in attack, coughed up the ball several times in their 22, no strike plays, munster were emasculated. Lowe is a dose, last player I hated that much was martin johnston.
              Good few words between conway and lowe at the end, couldnt make out what was going on from where we were stuck, anyone get a better view of it?

Comment

Whether we like it or not Munster have chosen to go down the South African rugby road and that has always been a muscle game which is grand if you’ve got the muscle but we haven’t the muscle to play it and win with it.
                Our best days were heavily influenced by a NZ/Aus input from players like Tipoki & Howlett etc. If we ever get the chance we need to go back there to that style. We will produce forwards that will compete enough it’s the other bit that needs a change of direction.
                And to the individuals who are lining up to insult me for expressing my view on this forum, you can’t delete it so live with it. Haha.

Comment

I was going to click a lot of likes on posts here halfway through reading posts, but by the end I couldn't, as something was said I didn't agree with.

It was a fairly even game, the score board doesn't reflect that. Possession and territory seemed very even.
                  ​​​​​​
                  A disappointing season, but we lost both semi finals to Saracens and Leinster - the top 2 teams in Europe.

Comment

Regarding Japan.......that was the Irish front five playing in blue yesterday, maybe Best for Cronin, they were going backwards all day at scrun time.

Munster were good at scrum time and lineout, had plenty of possession, defended pretty well but just never looked like scoring. It was frustrating to watch Munster with ball in hand. Contrary to a lot of opinion here, I thought Haley was one of our better players barring one missed tackle at the end.
                    Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

I see lack of discipline is the reason we lost yesterday is the soundbites coming out. We could be still up there and would not score a try. There is no doubt that during the first half that leinster were there for the taking but the team just did not have the tools to unlock leinster. Maybe new voices will help but really do not know where we are going. Tired of transition. Tired of going to Dublin and elsewhere getting beat whether thats leinster saracent scarlets glasgow racing. Just cancelled all my glasgow bookings.....happening a lot now. Yesterday may have been the lowest....watching leinster supporters streaming out of the ground with 5 minutes to go aint right. Need a few weeks off maybe and the glass will start to fill again.

Comment

I'm beginning to wonder if we should look at Beirne at 6 and let him focus on what he does best maybe bring fineen in at second row. POM looks like he's a spent force these days. Maybe POM to 7? He proved he was as good as the best opensides in the world against Hooper and pocock in the aus series.
                        When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Originally posted by xRedmanx View Post
                          I was going to click a lot of likes on posts here halfway through reading posts, but by the end I couldn't, as something was said I didn't agree with.

It was a fairly even game, the score board doesn't reflect that. Possession and territory seemed very even.
                          ​​​​​​
                          A disappointing season, but we lost both semi finals to Saracens and Leinster - the top 2 teams in Europe.

It wasn't an even game. We could be out there now and we wouldn't have found a way through their defence. Same with Sarries.

It doesn't matter if we have possession or territory. We don't know what to do with either except plug away with one out runners until we get turned over.

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Its hard to pick positives out of yesterday, killer was, I thought, our best player, Rory made more ground than usual, perhaps that was down to Joey- who was, I thought decent throughout, and both Fineen and JOD looked dynamic and hungry when the came on. One embarrassing miss aside, Haley tackled very well- I’d have thought Conway would have been covering his wing- he and Earls were closed down and ran crossways too often, scannell made himself a big target and should know better... it’s getting negative again, so I’ll stop.

Comment

It’s disheartening and disappointing and we can blame the coaches or the players but when it comes down to it they were just better. What I hate about this time after a loss is that people look for people to blame.
                              There’s people saying oh POM is past it, the same guy a few weeks ago people were saying was having the season of his life, the same player who won Munster player of the year, nominated European and player of year etc.
                              People were angry and gutted that Fla and Jones are going and suddenly now it’s good riddance.

There are two issues here one is the current team who I really don’t think are far off and hopefully with new coaches, particularly a new set of eyes on our attack, we will be closer next year. We have the players and ability but at the moment we’re not there yet. It’s pretty tiring to keep saying it or hearing it but I genuinely think we’re not far off.

The other main issue is future players coming through and there lies the problem. What’s worse is the way things are going, Munster rugby, even if we do everything right it seems will need to work twice as hard to compete with Leinster.

The population of Dublin (not including greater Dublin as they call it) is bigger than the population of Munster combined. Leave that sink in.
                              Our biggest, Cork, has 542,868. Dublin has 1.345 million, more than double that of Cork.

You look at the money that’s in private schools and it’s rugby. There are 51 fee paying schools in Ireland, there’s approximately 40 of those schools in Leinster. Now not all of those are relevant as they mightn’t be rugby schools and not all players coming through are from fee paying schools but that’s the way things seem to be going.

We cant compete with that. We don’t have the money, the private schools or the population to compete with that. It’s a pity that’s what it’s come down to but sadly it has. We could do everything right and it wouldn’t go anywhere near levelling the playing field.
                              What do we do, what’s the answer to it? I don’t know. Try and work really, really hard on quality v quantity, try to focus on GAA country like West Cork and Kerry maybe but even then, it’s a mountain we’re facing.
                              Last edited by Stringer9; 19th-May-2019, 09:38.
                              The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but Lowe whooping and hollering ala WWF after a tackle looked very out of place. You have to admire his energy though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X