No announcement yet.

Irish Indo Hatchet Job - Ouch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s a fairly lackluster apology but at least it puts on record that they were wrong

Small step in the right direction.

Is this the first time a sports team had to challenge one of their sponsors/partners for saying something ‘misleading ‘ (lying) about them in public?
    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

TBH I’ve avoideding pretty much all rugby news sites since the Saracens semi. The pure unadulterated sh**e that’s been written and said, from the Irish Sports outlets, the likes RTÉ, Newstalk, Independent, the Times, even the Examiner is quite spectacular. And of you have the same few old Munster players who jumped in for a pay day, as there’s been a few, O Gara, Quinlan, Wood etc.

Look there’s always going to be problems with bias, whether intensional or not, towards a target market in this case Leinster were half the population/capital/media are based but overthetop tabloid muck really shows we have a serious problem in this country with fair and proportioned sports media.
      "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

Originally posted by KerryRed View Post
        TBH I’ve avoideding pretty much all rugby news sites since the Saracens semi. The pure unadulterated sh**e that’s been written and said, from the Irish Sports outlets, the likes RTÉ, Newstalk, Independent, the Times, even the Examiner is quite spectacular. And of you have the same few old Munster players who jumped in for a pay day, as there’s been a few, O Gara, Quinlan, Wood etc.

Look there’s always going to be problems with bias, whether intensional or not, towards a target market in this case Leinster were half the population/capital/media are based but overthetop tabloid muck really shows we have a serious problem in this country with fair and proportioned sports media.
        None of what you say changes the fact that Munster are off the pace and have to fix that. Moaning about and avoiding rugby media is silly. What do you read then?
        "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
        Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post

None of what you say changes the fact that Munster are off the pace and have to fix that. Moaning about and avoiding rugby media is silly. What do you read then?
          They were off the pace. And not for the first time at the end of a season. And I’ve many thoughts on why. But that’s not the topic. The criticism is simply too far. This is the group “Irish Ondo Hatchet Job” no? My point was clear that the bad press around Munster is simply way over the top. Also I read quite a lot, even pieces I disagree just as long as it’s not click bait, or just pure take down piece.

The reality is Saracens & Leinster are on a different level to every other side in Europe. They are basically the level of strong national sides. Leinster are basically Ireland and Sarries England. Sarries have a rich owner, not taking away from the fact there actually well run. All be it at a massive loss. Leinster while they don’t have there money, do have great resources and the population, and can recruit from a hugely talented underage pool of players coming up year in year out. This is very difficult, next to impossible to compete with.

That’s the reality. I’d rather the media just tell it as it is rather then tapping into this tabloid nonsense/hysteria questioning everything down to Munsters very own identity. Each trying to out do each other looking for views/clicks. Hard to think of any other sports team in Ireland who gets such a bad rap as Munster do.

It’s also a reality many clubs with our stature/status as you would, would love to be in the position we are at. We got to 3 Heineken Cup semi’s in a row. A great improvement on the two years beforehand, were we didn’t get out of the group stage. When you look at historically good sides like Leicester, Glouchester, Bath, Northampton, Ospreys, Cardiff etc. Many badly struggling to compete. They’d kill to be in our position. That’s also a reality. Even a side like Glasgow, who’s done really well in the PRO14 over recent years haven’t gotten there ever.

Its just a real pity there’s always such bad vibes around us pretty much all the time nowadays. Much of which is unwarranted. Seems like we’ve just become a cheap and easy target.
          Last edited by KerryRed; 26th-May-2019, 21:19.
          "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

I may be alone- but I think Exeter will beat Sarries next weekend- will we have to revise this Saracens and Leinster are on a different level to everyone else stuff? Given our draw away and good win at home- where would that leave us? I think the gap between these two, and others, is exaggerated, but it is still too big for us at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
              "Neil Francis and the Sunday Independent apologise to both Felix Jones and Jerry Flannery."

Right at the very end here
              Does anyone have a link to the original article? Can't find it on the indos website
              I don\'t really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.They really are a reference in the game,to beat them you really have to play a perfect match

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
                I may be alone- but I think Exeter will beat Sarries next weekend- will we have to revise this Saracens and Leinster are on a different level to everyone else stuff? Given our draw away and good win at home- where would that leave us? I think the gap between these two, and others, is exaggerated, but it is still too big for us at the moment.
                Sarries beat them pretty easily the last two times they met in the finals, I think the Chiefs can win, but I'm not counting on it. To me, Leinster are better than Munster at the moment, but I agree the gulf is exaggerated. yesterday they needed a fluke bounce to score a try in a game they won by 3. Munster get trashed for winning tight away at edinburgh; Leinster are legends b/c a ball had a serious amount of spin on it. they beat glasgow in a downpour, are hailed as heroes. Crapping on Munster is a bit of a media sport at the moment. What gets me is they they'll name teams in the "top 4 in europe" and not include Munster despite them being there for the past three seasons. "they were lucky to win" , "they won ugly". maybe, but THEY F#$%ING WON. Clermont gets put on that list, they were in the challenge cup this year, but Munster is awful. got it. There is a serious amount of disrespect being thrown Munster's way and it has gotten ridiculous. Munster can beat Leinster, the game at Thomond showed it, and to be honest, the first half at the rds was one missed opportunity after the next. Oh, and I'm getting a bit tired of Leinster players getting a pass in the media for injuring opponents with dirty or semi dirty hits. "he didn't mean to do it", "there was no ill intent". get real. lowe meant to take out conwway, furlong meant to nail cloete, he meant to nail brown yesterday, kearney knew exactly what he was doing to hogg, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post

off the pace is one thing, but the media are acting like the team is garbage from top to bottom. final 4 in both comps for the second year running is nothing to sneeze at. Plenty of clubs would love to have that sort of consistency.

Comment

It’s a fact that the Dublin press love giving it to Munster over the “ home of rugby” c**p that Munster dishes out over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                      It’s a fairly lackluster apology but at least it puts on record that they were wrong

Small step in the right direction.

Is this the first time a sports team had to challenge one of their sponsors/partners for saying something ‘misleading ‘ (lying) about them in public?
                      They had to issue an apology to one of their own columnists last year (Brolly) so doesn't bother them too much I'd say.

Munster shouldn't be in the business of interfering with what media outlets report and write about them (excluding libellous stuff of course). However, both Munster and the Indo made a stupid decision with a sponsorship which was always going to blur that line. The sooner it ends, the better.
                      "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Originally posted by busby View Post

They had to issue an apology to one of their own columnists last year (Brolly) so doesn't bother them too much I'd say.

Munster shouldn't be in the business of interfering with what media outlets report and write about them (excluding libellous stuff of course). However, both Munster and the Indo made a stupid decision with a sponsorship which was always going to blur that line. The sooner it ends, the better.
                        When a media outlet states that two employees had been sacked from an organisation then I think both the employees and org are completely justified in forcing the Indo to correct themselves.

Comment

Working...
                        X