Round 21 - Munster v Connacht

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FORWARD.... View Post

I suppose I should know, (but I don't) but does this have any implications for the seedings for the HEC draw for next season?
    And do Leinster get the remedial conference again next season in this competition?
    I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
      Glasgow get their 4th try

interestingly the overall points table after the final week of the league is:

Glasgow 81
      Munster 77
      Leinster 76
      Ulster 63
      Connacht 61
      Ospreys 58
      Benetton 57
      Cardiff 54
      Scarlets 52
      Edinburgh 51
      Cheetahs 46
      Dragons 26
      Kings 22
      Zebre 19
      You’d think they’d take the prior season into account as well. Surely they would. Not sure how it’s done.

Do they take the knock outs into account. Do they take average out the points of each countries teams, if so Scotland would be ahead of Wales.

Not sure if they know themselves.
      "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

The Pro 14 seedings for next year's Heineken Cup will.be as follows:
        1st Champions.
        2nd Runners up.
        3rd The losing Semi-Finalists with the better league record.
        4th The losing Semi-Finalists with the worse league record
        5th The losing Quarter-Finalists with the better league record.
        6th The losing Quarter-Finalists with the worse league record
        7th The Play-off winners.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobyglen View Post

Both are running on empty and nowhere near their best. Should have been given time off till the Leinster game. Every season we arrive at this point with a wrecked squad, due to our abrasive style and poor management of key players in dead rubber games.

Total b*****it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
          Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Tobyglen View Post

Both are running on empty and nowhere near their best. Should have been given time off till the Leinster game. Every season we arrive at this point with a wrecked squad, due to our abrasive style and poor management of key players in dead rubber games.
            Utter rubbish

Comment

Originally posted by Redcafe1 View Post

Utter rubbish
              Agree completely. Our player management this year has been excellent, and here we have sometimes moaned about the effects it has on the lack of game time in certain partnerships. Some players, after a defeat like last week- will want to get it out of their systems- and they are experienced enough to listen to that.

A young side went to Treviso a few weeks ago and beat them well when it mattered to them. I’d like a slightly stronger version of that take the field next week- with a bench strong enough to get us out of difficulties.

Comment

Not sure what others think but I believe attack was much better yesterday. Maybe Felix does listen to us. Cronin had a very good game considering that he only knew minutes before ko that he had to play. I'm looking forward to see more of him next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                  The Pro 14 seedings for next year's Heineken Cup will.be as follows:
                  1st Champions.
                  2nd Runners up.
                  3rd The losing Semi-Finalists with the better league record.
                  4th The losing Semi-Finalists with the worse league record
                  5th The losing Quarter-Finalists with the better league record.
                  6th The losing Quarter-Finalists with the worse league record
                  7th The Play-off winners.
                  This is go for us no? Assuming we go out in the semis and either Ulster/Conn do also then we are 3rd seed...Or am I misunderstanding that?

Comment

Originally posted by macca1983 View Post

This is go for us no? Assuming we go out in the semis and either Ulster/Conn do also then we are 3rd seed...Or am I misunderstanding that?
                    That's how I understand it.

Comment

I thought O'Mahony was back to his very best yesterday. I'd be inclined to agree that Stander is a bit of a worry, though. Massive work rate(particularly in defense), but he is losing far too many collisions in attack, for an international number 8. Maybe it's down to an injury/fatigue, but for me anyway, he isn't having the same impact he had 12/24 months ago. Two examples of this were the one-on-one tackles by Griffin and McKeon. On both occasions he should have had the momentum, on both occasions he was driven backwards.

When you consider that ball-carrying isn't Cloete's or O'Mahony's main strength, there is a lot of pressure on the front-5 to do the bally-carrying. With this in mind, is there any argument for starting Botha/Coombes at number 8 and having a fired-up Stander on the bench?

Comment

Disappointing game. Still far too much box kicking, and no real discernible offensive game plan. Very difficult to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
                          Disappointing game. Still far too much box kicking, and no real discernible offensive game plan. Very difficult to watch.
                          One of those games that best forgotten. I think we would have been much better off picking a few more backup players who would have had a lot more motivation. Connacht had a weak side out, and we didn't need POM or CJ to win that game. Would have been much better off bringing them in next week hungry and rested. We have to pick pretty much our best team v Benetton. And agreed that POM was good last night but that CJs overall form is a worry. He's not playing badly but looks far from an Irish or even Lions first pick #8

Comment

Solid enough performance. Was a bit loose and error strewn at times but no real complaints.

Stander is being asked to do too much. Back row needs another good carrier, be it a bruiser like Botha or athlete like JOD. Cloete hasn’t got the size, and to be honest I think he’s a bit overrated. Very willing but doesn’t actually win that many turnovers and is a bit of a penalty machine.

Cronin was pretty good I thought. Definitely more up to speed now and put his stamp on things. Had my doubts but maybe he’ll make it at this level.

Comment

I love POMs aggression and drive but he really annoyed Sir again last night. Stander is far more reasoned when dealing with refs. We need the refs on our side against the Leinster and Saracens of this world. Saracens dodged a second yellow late in the Wasps game at the weekend. You need somebody that the ref is willing to listen to and can’t just dismiss because they have a petulant air about them. Makes them more likely to check it themselves first with TMO etc in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                                Solid enough performance. Was a bit loose and error strewn at times but no real complaints.

Stander is being asked to do too much. Back row needs another good carrier, be it a bruiser like Botha or athlete like JOD. Cloete hasn’t got the size, and to be honest I think he’s a bit overrated. Very willing but doesn’t actually win that many turnovers and is a bit of a penalty machine.

Cronin was pretty good I thought. Definitely more up to speed now and put his stamp on things. Had my doubts but maybe he’ll make it at this level.

I don't agree that another carrier is needed. I think we need more movement. The ball has to move more instead of going from ruck to ruck and we need more movement from players to give more attacking options and put opposition defences under more pressure which will in turn open up space for the ball carriers like CJ.

It would suit JOD too because he needs space. He isn't going to bosh his way forward.

I just think heavy traffic ball carriers are overrated these days except for scoring tries from close range. Every team has a defence coach, all packs are roughly the same size and they can all chop tackle. So I think space has to be created firstly, then the ball carrying can be effective.

​​​​​​
                                Id agree that CJ is being asked to do too much. He is like a battering ram and yet JVG wants to play him every minute possible even though Arno Botha and Coombes are there too. Very poor player management imo.

Comment

Working...
                                X