The kids are alright!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The kids are alright!

Last night we saw a job done by the Munster kids away against one of the leading teams in the other conference. I was amongst the sceptics beforehand, feeling that when our internationals are away, that the rest of the squad doesn't have enough depth and quality to do the business, especially on the road.

At 10-0 down in the first ten minutes, confirmation was on its way. But boy, did the team view things differently. And the difference was that the team never once looked beaten, even though several times Benetton punched holes in our defence and scored some excellent tries.

I had doubted the ability of Munster Rugby to produce enough future top players to match our supporters' expectations, but last night we saw real evidence that lads especially like Dan Goggin, Gavin Coombes, Fineen Wycherley, Shane Daly and Liam O'Connor, all playing in the same match, can rise to the occasion and fashion a win from behind (coming from ten points down to lead, and later from eleven points down to win).

And add in "seasoned" young fellas like JOD, Darren Sweetnam, JJ and Sammy, and there are a lot of genuine reasons for confidence.

All credit to the players themselves but also the entire coaching staff and management. Yes, it's only one match, but this win over Benetton Treviso feels a lot more important than all the other times we beat them.

The kids are alright it seems.

"I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
    Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Hear hear. In previous years, a win over Treviso wouldn't have been particularly remarkable, even if it was a team of mostly kids/backup players/injury returnees. Not now that Treviso have become such a strong side, particularly at home, having only lost there twice this season until we came along.

Also, "head off a Superquinn sausage" is my new favourite insult.
    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Great post Blackwarrior-

Comment

Great to see so many young players coming through. We also have the U20 grand slam winners, some not in the academy yet. It's the start of another quality home grown generation of players.

​​​​

Comment

Working...
        X