MATCH THREAD: Benetton Treviso v Munster, 7.00 12 April

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thorns View Post
    Anyone else notice the step up in Archer & John Ryan ball carrying this year?

Marked improvement from the classic catch and flop tighthead technique so many others employ
    I just thought the same thing. particularly John Ryan, showing some good footwork and a bit of gas as well. That's really useful.

Comment

I never thought we’d be so stressed about playing Benetton in the league. It has taken on really big significance
      "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Before the Cardiff game I was thinking that we should maintain our best back-line (i.e. that played in Edinburgh) playing together for the next two games to give them a chance to gel together since we have rarely had them all on the pitch at one time this season. I was very happy with the selection against Cardiff on that basis, however after seeing the physicality of Benetton at the weekend, I am going to chicken out and say take no risks!! They could fill a hospital ward for us the way they are playing (not dirty but extremely physical).

I would go Alby & JJ (with Cronin & Bill J on the bench) Goggins and Sammy in the center and Wooton/ROM, Nash and Mike Haley in the back three.

Similarly I would give the forwards a rest also with LOC, Kevin O'Byrne, Parker, Billy, Darren O'Shea Fineen, Conor Oliver and Gavin Coombes. Maybe we could take a strong bench (the same one as for Saracens) to go on if the match is still in the balance in the last quarter.

At the end of the day we already have a home Q'final in the Pro-14 and would only gain one extra weekend off if we pip Glasgow to the top of the conference and if we have lost the Euro semi that is not such a big deal anyway. It is time to roll the dice and we have to give Europe our best shot. Let the front-line guys spend the week working on analysis and plays for Saracens because we are going to have to add something special for this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
          I never thought we’d be so stressed about playing Benetton in the league. It has taken on really big significance
          At this point I’m stressing about playing everyone- a full team in the middle of the season it’s not an issue- despite the fact that Treviso as much better this year. However, needing a win for a straight semi avoiding Leinster, needing Leinster to do us a favour even if we do win, and a week before a HCUP semi against the team I’d most like to beat, outside Leinster, of course we are stressing!

Comment

Last year around this time we had a lot of injuries and there was not much options for the selections. It's good to see that we now have plenty of options. The reserection of Benetton puts us in a difficult spot but at least we've a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post

Wow, that puts a rather different complexion on the selection possibilities for the weekend. Perhaps JVG is leaning a lot more towards "get some rest" rather than "play together more" after all. Potentially at least three of the first four listed could be involved - for starters, we'll probably have Loughman and O'Connor as the looseheads, giving Killer the weekend off. The tightheads are still likely to be Archer and Parker though. DOC2 is a candidate for playing either in the second or the back row, while Wootton can be added to the mix for the wings/bench. All depends how "second-string" JVG intends to go with this game - if it's a case of almost the entire pack, starting halfbacks and centres from the Edinburgh game being rested then tbh it's hard to see us winning. Players like Beirne and Farrell don't have a rake of gametime behind them in the way that e.g. Rory Scannell or John Ryan have, so there's an argument for including them.

Loughman, O'Byrne, Archer / O'Connor, Marshall, Parker
              Beirne, O'Shea / O'Callaghan
              Wycherley, Botha, JOD / Coombes
              Mathewson, Hanrahan / Cronin, Johnston
              Wootton, Goggin, Farrell, Sweetnam
              Haley / Arnold

Is that a strong enough 23 to win by a point in the Stadio di Monigo? Eight of those I've listed could be expected to be in the squad for Saracens, but only 3-4 of them might be expected to be starters - Beirne, Farrell, Haley and possibly Botha (assuming Cloete is our starting 7 rather than JOD, but who knows?). Beirne and Farrell are the ones I'd be most doubtful of being included, as while they're lighter on minutes played this season they're also pretty central to our plans and may be deemed too crucial to risk.
              DOC and Wootton were probably two of the biggest standouts from last weekends game. Woots got a yellow mid-way through the second half and didn't come back on. DOC ran aggressively all day.

Comment

Probably the best team we could field without frontliners and with an eye to game time for some who need it.

Loughman, Rhys Marshall, Cronin
                Billy Holland, Fineen
                JackO, Cloete, Arno
                Alby, JJ
                Dan Goggin and Sammy
                with Sweetnam, Nash and Mike Haley

That pack might be enough ...
                ​​​​​​​
                Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                  Probably the best team we could field without frontliners and with an eye to game time for some who need it.

Billy Holland, Fineen
                  JackO, Cloete, Arno
                  Alby, JJ
                  Dan Goggin and Sammy

Would go with that with Archer at 3 and possibly woots on the wing. wouldnt think we are a million miles away with that. Possibly could have a fairly strong bench to go with it.
                  Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Originally posted by scotscor View Post

Would go with that with Archer at 3 and possibly woots on the wing. wouldnt think we are a million miles away with that. Possibly could have a fairly strong bench to go with it.
                    Purely from a numbers POV, I think some of the big guns will have to be on the bench.

Comment

Even if Cronin does make it back - and there's been no report of him returning to training, he's still included among those "progressing with rehabilitation" - I can't see him coming in on the tight head side. I hope his rehab is going well - I took it as a positive sign when he was added to our HEC squad, but it's disappointing that we've heard nothing more positive since.
                      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Agreed, I’d be very surprised if Cronin ends up out of position when he returns
                        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

The only TV coverage I can find is on DAZN,whoever they are,or delayed,10.00 on Eir 2. Is that it?
                          The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Having been at the Benetton game at the weekend I'd say their biggest improvement in recent years is that they make far fewer errors than they used to. They'd never have scored that last-ditch try a few seasons ago. They must have gone through 40ish phases. Previously they'd have made some daft mistake and it would have been game over. They're very like Edinburgh to be honest. No great flair but very physical and very comfortable going through the phases.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post
                              Having been at the Benetton game at the weekend I'd say their biggest improvement in recent years is that they make far fewer errors than they used to. They'd never have scored that last-ditch try a few seasons ago. They must have gone through 40ish phases. Previously they'd have made some daft mistake and it would have been game over. They're very like Edinburgh to be honest. No great flair but very physical and very comfortable going through the phases.
                              That’s exactly my sense of them this year- something like 25 tries scored behind us from memory, but capable of making the game difficult for any opposition. A few years ago they did some serious giant killing at home in HCUP, then a fallow period, and now a comment, if dull side, capable of getting decent results regularly. Nor will the cave in at home.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post

Billy Holland, Fineen
                                JackO, Cloete, Arno
                                Alby, JJ
                                Dan Goggin and Sammy

The bookies (PP) are assuming that Munster will play a team of that strength and are expecting a Munster loss, Treviso are -1 in the handicap.

If Munster do (as I expect) and stick a few big guns in, the odds night change - and Munster might win.
                                Last edited by AdolphusGrigson; 9th-April-2019, 19:01.
                                ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                                AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Working...
                                X