No announcement yet.

MATCH THREAD: Benetton Treviso v Munster, 7.00 12 April

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The winning of the games was the ten minutes we played with sweets in the Bin. A great break by Finnen, fast ruck ball and good carrying that resulted in the archer incident and them going down to 14. Great to see us ignore the whitehouse nonsense and just play the game.

Comment

Watching the game back this morning Sammy Arnold had a blinder. Some crunching dominant tackles and got back to stop a certain try as well.

Great result for the wider squad, and great to see guys perform when it matters. Whitehouse on Archer incident is laughable, he is so poor.

Hopefully the noisy neighbours do us a favour today and the Westies win at home.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by redinD2 View Post
        Watching the game back this morning Sammy Arnold had a blinder. Some crunching dominant tackles and got back to stop a certain try as well.

Great result for the wider squad, and great to see guys perform when it matters. Whitehouse on Archer incident is laughable, he is so poor.

Hopefully the noisy neighbours do us a favour today and the Westies win at home.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
        I was very impressed with goggin as well, bar one miss kick his kicking was very good, his offload for Daly’s try was brilliant, plays with his head up and is strong in defense.

Coombs looks a natural replacement for stander down the road, a great balance of youth, experience, homegrown talent and shrewd imports on display last night. Great win.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
          Let's be honest.
          I don't think many thought that we could have beaten Treviso that well.
          A point or two win would have been a great result.
          A bonus point loss yeah! no shame in that considering the squad.
          A bonus point win was brilliant.
          Treviso are serious players and deserve a playoff result.
          Last edited by onthe 22; 13th-April-2019, 13:46.
          Stay cool .None of us are in the brain trust,right!

Comment

I watched the game at 10 last evening. Based on comments here, I was expecting Whitehouse to be awful. IMO he had one of his better games.

He got a penalty call badly wrong in the 1st half. Cloete turned over their ball in breakdown and was pinged. He was told to release it after be won it. Bizarre decision and gifted them 3 points.

The yellow for the shoulder charge was also a terrible call. ''Medium Force'' Inane stuff.

However, he stood up to the Italian TMO well, in awarding the try to Daly.

He took an age over most decisions but he was much better than usual. The criticism on here was way OTT, IMO.

I'm delighted for JJ. We finally saw what he can do. Looking forward to more.

That performance will lift everybody and sets us up for a great run in.

Comment

Originally posted by The Yak View Post
              I watched the game at 10 last evening. Based on comments here, I was expecting Whitehouse to be awful. IMO he had one of his better games.

He got a penalty call badly wrong in the 1st half. Cloete turned over their ball in breakdown and was pinged. He was told to release it after be won it. Bizarre decision and gifted them 3 points.

The yellow for the shoulder charge was also a terrible call. ''Medium Force'' Inane stuff.

He took an age over most decisions but he was much better than usual. The criticism on here was way OTT, IMO.

Yeah I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Agree entirely, which is why the McCarthy move still puzzles and worries ( will probably cost us alby, unless Murray gets injured at RWC). I didn’t realise alby runs extra skills sessions- love it when senior players provide that added value, I believe Botha is partly responsible for our front row development along with a lot of hard work by the lads concerned.
                BJ?
                Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post

BJ?
                  Yes

Comment

Originally posted by The Yak View Post

Inclined to agree somewhat. He gave a few dubious calls earlier in the match, including the Cloete one, but tbh I felt he swung a bit our way after bottling the RC for Benvenito.

Comment

Originally posted by onthe 22 View Post

Let's be honest.
                      I don't think many thought that we could have beaten Treviso that well.
                      A point or two win would have been a great result.
                      A bonus point loss yeah! no shame in that considering the squad.
                      A bonus point win was brilliant.
                      Treviso are serious players and deserve a playoff result.
                      Still nice for him to be put into his box. Well done Munster.

All things considered, it seems impossible for them to maintain focus for a game that matters to Benetton. The Italians might even label it the most important match in the club’s 87-year history. Victory, of any sort, should see them make the play-offs and a probable quarter-final in Belfast with a Dublin semi-final against Leinster to follow if they can keep their best ever season on track.

Such contrasting motivations lean the result in only one direction.

Verdict: Treviso win.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardP View Post

Inclined to agree somewhat. He gave a few dubious calls earlier in the match, including the Cloete one, but tbh I felt he swung a bit our way after bottling the RC for Benvenito.
                        Whether he was unfair to us earlier, and made up for it later, was harsher on Benetton later and easier earlier, stood up to the TMO or spent huge amounts of time being sure of his decision, in other words that it evened out- what we saw, again, was an incompetent performance. Being randomly wrong throughout, and hence not ‘biased’, isn’t how games should be refereed. He seems to lack ability to manage players in a friendly/respectful way.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Whether he was unfair to us earlier, and made up for it later, was harsher on Benetton later and easier earlier, stood up to the TMO or spent huge amounts of time being sure of his decision, in other words that it evened out- what we saw, again, was an incompetent performance. Being randomly wrong throughout, and hence not ‘biased’, isn’t how games should be refereed. He seems to lack ability to manage players in a friendly/respectful way.
                          I’m not sure he is unfair, I think he is just bad, the Treviso lock had two turnovers that looked fair and got pinged both times.

Comment

I love the way Billy dealt with Whitehouse. He asked the right question '' How was that not a red card''

Whitehouse then came up with inane nonsense '' it was a medium force shoulder charge'' and Billy replied '''' What does that mean''

He made his feelings very clear without being in any way offensive. Whitehouse could not offer a satisfactory explanation and actually didn't screw us over again.

This was the perfect way to deal with a poor ref. POM isn't as calm as Billy
                            Last edited by The Yak; 14th-April-2019, 19:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Would much prefer we keep Alby and either one of Cronin and McCarthy rather than both. Trust our academy to provide a fourth choice.

The ideal is a top class starter (Murray), a quality experienced back-up (Alby), a good up-and-comer (McCarthy or Cronin) and a couple of young lads for development and emergencies (Stafford/Casey).

Four senior players is one two many and I fear we’ll lose Alby once Murray’s back from the RWC. Shame because he’s clearly a very positive influence (running extra skills sessions etc.) as well as a very fine SH. Also, a slightly mad Kiwi always works for us (Tipoki and Dougie!).
                              Next season with world cup is ideal time for all the younger players to get pro14 games etc with less pressure than normal seasons. Cronin is 27 how the hell is he an up and comer even if he's came through the club game.
                              McCarthy is 24 with 30 plus pro appearances. More than enough to be playing pro14 games and being back up to Murray for the bigger games

Comment

James Coughlan was something like 27 or 28 before he started getting regular first-team rugby with us. He'd been playing regular club rugby up to that point, and then ended up having a good 5 years as a starter for us before heading to Pau.
                                Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Working...
                                X