No announcement yet.

MATCH THREAD: Benetton Treviso v Munster, 7.00 12 April

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great game. Great atmosphere. Great to be here.

Bad hangover though.
    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
      Great game. Great atmosphere. Great to be here.

Bad hangover though.
      Great game to catch. Did you (honestly) think they were going to win?
      ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
      AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Brilliant performance last night.

Billy is a fantastic captain - leads by example, keeps his head under pressure, keeps others’ heads from dropping, and has exactly the right approach with the ref.

Alby was quietly excellent too. JJ and he looked very good together. Two live wires.

Fineen, JOD and Coombes were made for a fast paced encounter like this. Big, mobile, athletic and hungry. They tackled, carried and scrapped all night and then DOC arrived and did more of the same.

Special word for Stephen Archer. There was a time when he looked unfit, disinterested and his scrummaging was poor. Couldn’t understand why we persisted with him but by God he’s a completely different player the last couple of seasons. Works his socks off and has quietly become an excellent all round TH.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post

Not against Skelton and Kruis I wouldn’t simply because of heft. That said, Billy has been phenomenal in 2019.
          Billy has been great- but a fit Jk has the bully factor that Billy seems too nice a guy to have, and that we will need against Sarries. I’d imagine he’ll bench, but with whom, I wonder? Fantastic to have such competition at this stage of the season, presumably one from Jod/Cloete with Arno starting and Fineen ( who had an excellent game last night) missing out?

Comment

Ably is a fantastic player. With Conor missing a lot next season and McCarthy green I'd bet JVG is thinking hard to get him a longer contract. Cronin is quite decent but nothing more to be frank. With Conor and Alby and Carbery and Tyler at 9& 10 what a combination. He just managed to get to the line last night, his legs were just about gone. Cronin was sent on pronto.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Billy has been great- but a fit Jk has the bully factor that Billy seems too nice a guy to have, and that we will need against Sarries. I’d imagine he’ll bench, but with whom, I wonder? Fantastic to have such competition at this stage of the season, presumably one from Jod/Cloete with Arno starting and Fineen ( who had an excellent game last night) missing out?
              Yeah, suspect we’ll go with Kleyn and Tadhg with Billy’s dependability on the bench.

Suspect we’ll start JOD with Botha for impact but could well be the other way round. We’ll need big men to go toe to toe with that pack, so might make sense to start Arno and have a mobile, versatile lad like JOD to come in later when people are tiring. Tough call!

Don’t think we’ll see Cloete in the squad. POM and Tadhg can do the ground work and he struggles a bit against very physical teams.

Comment

Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post
                Ably is a fantastic player. With Conor missing a lot next season and McCarthy green I'd bet JVG is thinking hard to get him a longer contract. Cronin is quite decent but nothing more to be frank. With Conor and Alby and Carbery and Tyler at 9& 10 what a combination. He just managed to get to the line last night, his legs were just about gone. Cronin was sent on pronto.
                Agree- about Alby- don’t know enough about McCarthy to judge, but I’m not sure we needed another unproven guy, we have talent coming through- and Cronin is just on his first season.

Comment

Pity Cunmiskey was not there to witness the win. He benchmarked Leinster v Treviso the week before and decided Munster would lose.

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post

Great game to catch. Did you (honestly) think they were going to win?
                    No. We all thought a loss was coming. Doubles the pleasure.
                    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
                      Pity Cummiskey was not there to witness the win. He benchmarked Leinster v Treviso the week before and decided Munster would lose.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Agree- about Alby- don’t know enough about McCarthy to judge, but I’m not sure we needed another unproven guy, we have talent coming through- and Cronin is just on his first season.
                        Would much prefer we keep Alby and either one of Cronin and McCarthy rather than both. Trust our academy to provide a fourth choice.

The ideal is a top class starter (Murray), a quality experienced back-up (Alby), a good up-and-comer (McCarthy or Cronin) and a couple of young lads for development and emergencies (Stafford/Casey).

Four senior players is one two many and I fear we’ll lose Alby once Murray’s back from the RWC. Shame because he’s clearly a very positive influence (running extra skills sessions etc.) as well as a very fine SH. Also, a slightly mad Kiwi always works for us (Tipoki and Dougie!).

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Would much prefer we keep Alby and either one of Cronin and McCarthy rather than both. Trust our academy to provide a fourth choice.

The ideal is a top class starter (Murray), a quality experienced back-up (Alby), a good up-and-comer (McCarthy or Cronin) and a couple of young lads for development and emergencies (Stafford/Casey).

Four senior players is one two many and I fear we’ll lose Alby once Murray’s back from the RWC. Shame because he’s clearly a very positive influence (running extra skills sessions etc.) as well as a very fine SH. Also, a slightly mad Kiwi always works for us (Tipoki and Dougie!).
                          Alby provides huge leadership for the young guys too. He’s always talking, giving direction & instructions
                          "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Special word for Stephen Archer. There was a time when he looked unfit, disinterested and his scrummaging was poor. Couldn’t understand why we persisted with him but by God he’s a completely different player the last couple of seasons. Works his socks off and has quietly become an excellent all round TH.
                            Think he’s just managed to stay injury free for a few years now. Some difference it can make for a player struggling for a number of years with constant injuries. Couldn’t of been easy. Nought between him and Ryan now, which is a great place to be in.
                            "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

This is Shirley the best squad Munster have ever had.
                              ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                              AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Agree entirely, which is why the McCarthy move still puzzles and worries ( will probably cost us alby, unless Murray gets injured at RWC). I didn’t realise alby runs extra skills sessions- love it when senior players provide that added value, I believe Botha is partly responsible for our front row development along with a lot of hard work by the lads concerned.

Comment

Working...
                                X