No announcement yet.

The Semifinal Match Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Were underdogs, but not by much, there is a determination in this squad only bettered by the squad in the early 2000s untill we won it, it is going to be done battle, Game of Thrones me hole, this is where the action is

Comment

First day of game week. May everybody do the absolute bare minimum in work for the next 4 days

Comment

I like the plan of kicking the ball to Billy as we did in the 1st half a couple of years ago. He didn't know what to do with it on his own 10 metre line, and the most destructive ball carrier was taken out of the game for a couple of phases. Maybe even give him the same welcome Chabal had from Paul O'Connell and Donncha O'Callaghan way back when, but put him firmly into touch. I think this is how foundations can be built. I also think attacking their lineout is the way to gain the upper hand - from memory it's not the cleanest, and we have proven that to be one of our strengths.

I think Cloete will start as he's immense at slowing the ball up and being a loon around the pitch. We can not their seriously talented backs get the ball and run at us, all rounds lead to a loss if Liam Williams and the like have a field day with ball in hand.

Comment

We are a very different side to that they faced a couple of years ago- and I hope smarter. Out doing them physically was beyond us then, and would be now, I suspect- we need to be less predictable- if we play to a pattern they will strangle us. Our increased ability to win turn overs (Cloete and Beirne) will be important, as will Farrell’s ability to line break out wide. I like the idea of Kleyn making sure we don’t get out muscled. Although I think he has done well for his first season- I think this is a Conway at FB game, rather than Haley, who is more predictable when counter attacking. We need to unsettle their Farrell as much and as soon as possible- he is a fine player- but he is still weaker mentally than physically- a real wind-up job for POM there. Need a big game from Murray, mixing things up well. I wish Joey was playing- but even if he made it fitness wise at this stage the disruption his being subbed caused against Edinburgh is too great a risk, although himself vs Farrell would be good viewing. It’s going to be a long week!!

Comment

I was worried against Cardiff that Tyler was hiding defensively, thought JJ was excellent for his last two games, and is currently reaching places that Tyler can't (even when on form). I'm no fan of JJ, but think of Joey is fit, JJ should be on the bench ahead of Tyler. Else, its a toss up between the two of them.
            Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Originally posted by MOS View Post
              I like the plan of kicking the ball to Billy as we did in the 1st half a couple of years ago. He didn't know what to do with it on his own 10 metre line, and the most destructive ball carrier was taken out of the game for a couple of phases. Maybe even give him the same welcome Chabal had from Paul O'Connell and Donncha O'Callaghan way back when, but put him firmly into touch. I think this is how foundations can be built. I also think attacking their lineout is the way to gain the upper hand - from memory it's not the cleanest, and we have proven that to be one of our strengths.

I think Cloete will start as he's immense at slowing the ball up and being a loon around the pitch. We can not their seriously talented backs get the ball and run at us, all rounds lead to a loss if Liam Williams and the like have a field day with ball in hand.
              Wasn't Billy V receiving our backfield kicks Englands route 1 to beating Ireland this season? I wouldnt want to be tackling him at full pace when he has a 20 yard run up. And even if he didn't take it into contact, he'd draw defenders & pass out to Williams.

Comment

Picture from the squad in Limerick today, I love the ball overhead!

"There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                  Ball is being suspended mid-air by the combined will of the squad.

Only Munster can do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                    Where are they getting that weather? I'm just 2km away and it's been nothing but winter gales and rain all day!
                    "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                    Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

We are a defence oriented side these times, I hope it's sufficient to hold Sarries out until it boils down to a key moment or two.

There will be panicking, there will be idiots saying we are crap and don't deserve the semi final slot during the game, on here. However there will also be fervent support, and organisation on the field. The players know this is a high hill to climb but to my eye they look as confident as I think ive seen a Munster squad in donkey's years.

I hope I'm not wrong but there is just something in the air this year for my 2 cents.
                      I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by mickiemcfist View Post

Wasn't Billy V receiving our backfield kicks Englands route 1 to beating Ireland this season? I wouldnt want to be tackling him at full pace when he has a 20 yard run up. And even if he didn't take it into contact, he'd draw defenders & pass out to Williams.

I think (hope) he was referring to kick offs as opposed to exits, because box kicking to him on purpose is about the worst idea I’ve heard in a long time.

Comment

Billy receiving just a warning from Saracens, so will probably play.
                          ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                          AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

RTÉ says the same and helpfully adds...

Follow Munster v Saracens (kick-off 5.30pm, Saturday) & Leinster v Toulouse (3.15pm, Sunday)

Astute readers of other threads will realise they have managed to correct some of the earlier misinformation (they had us playing Exeter), but alas their attention span didn’t extend to correcting the kick off time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                              We are a defence oriented side these times, I hope it's sufficient to hold Sarries out until it boils down to a key moment or two.

There will be panicking, there will be idiots saying we are crap and don't deserve the semi final slot during the game, on here. However there will also be fervent support, and organisation on the field. The players know this is a high hill to climb but to my eye they look as confident as I think ive seen a Munster squad in donkey's years.

I hope I'm not wrong but there is just something in the air this year for my 2 cents.
                              Our defence is solid but we need to follow the template of Wales V England and make them tackle themselves to exhaustion. They are simply too big for us to trust ourselves to defend for 200 plus tackles. We must keep hold of the pill for long periods. JOD is key to JVG’s plans, imho, if he isn’t fit I think he will go CJ 6, POM 7, Arno 8 with possibly Billy and Fineen as the bench cover. Cloete will have his day, but he is surplus to requirements with Garces reffing. This is going to be completely and utterly brutal.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

I think (hope) he was referring to kick offs as opposed to exits, because box kicking to him on purpose is about the worst idea I’ve heard in a long time.
                                Box kicking to Saracens is a bad idea. The bandy legged assassin is as good a back three player as anyone on the planet.

Comment

Working...
                                X