Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
    Lads, shut up about Billy.

A semi final of Europe match thread and your worrying about what some eejit wrote on Instagram and other eejits liked? Any of that gonna matter when he's barrelling down Rory Scannells channel? Or lifting off the back of the scrum and aiming to do damage to Murr and Tyler?

It's irrelevant and least, or suitable for a thread in bla bla at most.
    I’m sure the thread will wind it’s way back to on field matters, but he isn’t some eejit, he is one of their leading players, likely to play next week ( or would have been prior to the media storm). Yesterday he was abused and booed by opposition fans, when he took the field after an hour- presumably being held back to play against us. Do we, as fans travelling next week, do the same? Should we think about doing something different? Seems to me very much related to next weeks game- but I really do take your point.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

I’m sure the thread will wind it’s way back to on field matters, but he isn’t some eejit, he is one of their leading players, likely to play next week ( or would have been prior to the media storm). Yesterday he was abused and booed by opposition fans, when he took the field after an hour- presumably being held back to play against us. Do we, as fans travelling next week, do the same? Should we think about doing something different? Seems to me very much related to next weeks game- but I really do take your point.
      Don’t like the idea of booing. It’s too negative and that stuff can backfire. Just get behind our lads.

A few rainbow flags as a show of support wouldn’t go amiss though!

Comment

A few bars of Dancing Queen?
        There is one way to find out if a man is honest; ask him! If he says yes you know he\'s crooked.
        Groucho Marx

Comment

We need to focus on the rugby - get ourselves into the best possible physical and mental shape, and have a game plan which pits them in the back foot.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
            We need to focus on the rugby - get ourselves into the best possible physical and mental shape, and have a game plan which pits them in the back foot.
            Right so, I’m gonna do sudoku and aerobics in the living room every day this week and I’m gonna start drinking early on match day to get on the front foot.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Agree entirely with you from the second sentence onwards. I honestly do not know whether it is right to abuse the guy (on balance not), or expect him to keep his sincerely held, religiously grounded, views to himself. He has fame, visibility etc, and may genuinely feel that as a fervent believer in saving others souls that he should use that fame to promote his religion’s message. It is one, I should add for clarity, that I abhor absolutely. [For the Redford I am a questioning atheist, intrigued by the whole range of religious views that there are, and respectful of all/most they are sincerely held].

Next week, if he plays, what should our response as fans be? I hope we do not boo him as a player under the pretext of disagreeing with his views. Maybe we should wear some (rainbow) stripes along with our red? Give a blast of YMCA after the Fields/stand up and fight?
              I don’t agree with booing anything on a rugby field, I always look to support my team positively.

Comment

I'd be very wary of Munster fans deciding to roundly boo a lad on the basis of religious beliefs, no matter how you'd disagree with them. It's a bit more complex than a pantomine villain job. I'd fully expect it to happen though, as it did with Bristol yesterday.

People are also ignoring the issue around the cultural thing here. There's better ways to deal with this than demonising players from a very specific ethnic background.
                "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Don’t like the idea of booing. It’s too negative and that stuff can backfire. Just get behind our lads.

A few rainbow flags as a show of support wouldn’t go amiss though!
                  Good idea. Will bring a rainbow flag with my Munster flag. Thanks.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not a fan of booing but I really like the rainbow flag idea. Will see if I can source one to take with me.

EDIT - On another note, shall we leave any further discussion of that to the supporters thread, and keep this one for the game itself, team selections etc? That bolshy fecker Cowboy probably has a point.
                    Last edited by mr chips; 14th-April-2019, 12:45.
                    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

In reality, we're meeting the best side in the competition right now, and I feel we need to be at the peak of evolution as a team to beat them.The discussion after VG extended his deal and spoke about the need to bring new people into the backroom team was telling in that in shows that we're just not quite there yet.

So in many ways, it's all about performance. If we can show that we've come on to the extent that we're not going to be dominated the way were were two years ago, and then go on get silver way domestically, then as we can look forward with a lot of optimism. If we crash out next weekend, and fail to pick anything up in the Pro 14, then it's groundhog day.

I hope and feel it's the former, and if it is you never know how the result might actually go on Saturday. Also, we've been in a have to win mode for a few weeks now, which makes us more dangerous than usual. But still, it's just hard to see a win.
                      "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Right so, I’m gonna do sudoku and aerobics in the living room every day this week and I’m gonna start drinking early on match day to get on the front foot.
                        We all have a role. Drinking early but not too early is a balance you need to achieve. Believe. Irish by Birth, Munster by the grace of god.

Comment

There is a grandiose level of irony in booing a player because he stands up for his religious beliefs when it comes from Irish people a day after Good Friday as plenty of the fans in the stadium will have forsaken meat or drink and only recently have attended family confirmations to complete the recruitment process of landing the younger generation who don’t know any better into the warm embrace of the Catholic Church so they can be filled with similar nonsensical religious views.

Billy can believe what he wants, but he should have the brains to see that falou wagon is not one to hitch his beliefs to because Israel is on a path that will undoubtedly take him away from professional sport and something he will undoubtedly in time regret.

That said it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest if his perpetration was upset this week by a disciplinary hearing, or he was put off his game by some noise from the crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by busby View Post
                            In reality, we're meeting the best side in the competition right now, and I feel we need to be at the peak of evolution as a team to beat them.The discussion after VG extended his deal and spoke about the need to bring new people into the backroom team was telling in that in shows that we're just not quite there yet.

So in many ways, it's all about performance. If we can show that we've come on to the extent that we're not going to be dominated the way were were two years ago, and then go on get silver way domestically, then as we can look forward with a lot of optimism. If we crash out next weekend, and fail to pick anything up in the Pro 14, then it's groundhog day.

I hope and feel it's the former, and if it is you never know how the result might actually go on Saturday. Also, we've been in a have to win mode for a few weeks now, which makes us more dangerous than usual. But still, it's just hard to see a win.
                            If Munster perform as well as they can, and for 85 minutes, then barring accidents we'll win this.
                            we're good enough. We proved it twice against Leinster, losing in the Aviva solely because of the decisions of Ben Whitehouse. We proved it twice going toe to toe with Exeter and we proved it again against the Scotland pack in Edinburgh.
                            We'll need a little luck, which we're due, like all sides do but we're good enough to win.

Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Good point.

Let’s just bate them up and down the field for 80 minutes and set up a humdinger of a final against the other great traditional power of European rugby.
                              Toulouse?

Comment

Originally posted by Leargas View Post

Toulouse?
                                Bingo!

Comment

Working...
                                X