X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=lactose intolerant;n2565468]

**** him, hope he gets the sack

Lar is back
    Last edited by ustix; 14th-April-2019, 09:15.
    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by lactose intolerant View Post

**** him, hope he gets the sack too!!

Would love if Munster came out to warm up next week in rainbow patterned tops with "Rugby is for Everyone" or some message like that printed on them!!
      Rugby is for everyone? Even drunk atheist idolators?

welcome back chief.

Comment

Bristol defeated Saracens 23-21

Comment

They played it's raining men over the PA system
          When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Billy got plenty of noise from the crowd apparently

Comment

Originally posted by B.A. View Post
              They played it's raining men over the PA system
              That is feckin genius!
              Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Think Billy has to be in trouble. Retract or don't play. Same story with the Ulster players after they were cleared by the courts.

Clubs cannot afford to upset sponsors who can't be seen to support views which are incompatible with their corporate message.

https://www.saracens.com/club/sponsors
                Last edited by AdolphusGrigson; 13th-April-2019, 22:37.
                ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
                  Think Billy has to be in trouble. Retract or don't play. Same story with the Ulster players after they were cleared by the courts.

Clubs cannot afford to upset sponsors who can't be seen to support views which are incompatible with their corporate message.

https://www.saracens.com/club/sponsors
                  He got some fierce abuse when he came on in Bristol. Thankfully these numpties speaking freely has given the overwhelming majority of rugby supporters the opportunity to make it crystal clear that such antediluvian attitudes are anomalous in the game of rugby. Most of us are proud to be supporters of a game in which Nigel Owens, Joy Neville, Gareth Thomas etc etc no longer have to hide themselves in a closet.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post

He got some fierce abuse when he came on in Bristol. Thankfully these numpties speaking freely has given the overwhelming majority of rugby supporters the opportunity to make it crystal clear that such antediluvian attitudes are anomalous in the game of rugby. Most of us are proud to be supporters of a game in which Nigel Owens, Joy Neville, Gareth Thomas etc etc no longer have to hide themselves in a closet.
                    There seems to a certain coyness in the British media about discussing any action against him.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post

Agree entirely with you from the second sentence onwards. I honestly do not know whether it is right to abuse the guy (on balance not), or expect him to keep his sincerely held, religiously grounded, views to himself. He has fame, visibility etc, and may genuinely feel that as a fervent believer in saving others souls that he should use that fame to promote his religion’s message. It is one, I should add for clarity, that I abhor absolutely. [For the Redford I am a questioning atheist, intrigued by the whole range of religious views that there are, and respectful of all/most they are sincerely held].

Next week, if he plays, what should our response as fans be? I hope we do not boo him as a player under the pretext of disagreeing with his views. Maybe we should wear some (rainbow) stripes along with our red? Give a blast of YMCA after the Fields/stand up and fight?
                      Last edited by jagawayagain; 14th-April-2019, 09:01.

Comment

Billy may be right, though I think it highly improbable that there is a divine retribution awaiting perceived transgressors.

I have to say I like Billy and whilst I find his views objectionable I can't help admiring his guts for speaking out, knowing as he does the likely reaction.

I also think he should face a ban or at least a warning of a ban if there is a repeat and Rugby should make, like Billy its own principled stand.

Comment

Lads, shut up about Billy.

A semi final of Europe match thread and your worrying about what some eejit wrote on Instagram and other eejits liked? Any of that gonna matter when he's barrelling down Rory Scannells channel? Or lifting off the back of the scrum and aiming to do damage to Murr and Tyler?

It's irrelevant and least, or suitable for a thread in bla bla at most.

I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

I agree with you, but it is complicated- for those of us who do not share their convictions, and for those who believe them fervently.

The belief that they are right is simply not enough for them, for these evangelical types they need to convert the sinner to the right path. Growing up in sixties Cork in an RC household not unlike many others, and chanting the creed like everyone else on a Sunday, it imbued a sense securing in the ‘one tried holy etc etc’, other than pennies for the ‘black babies’ there wasn’t much sense of missionary, or evangelising. There was even less of that among the few COI we knew- quite the opposite. In Britain, and elsewhere, the evangelical (often right wing) side of COE etc has a far greater hold now, and it has grown over the last 20+ years. It’s a fundamentalism that shares much with similarly hardliners in other faith groups, and ‘testifying’ openly to that belief is part of good practice as a believer. The point at which such statements become a ‘hate crime’ is a very very difficult issue, but must be confronted at some stage. I think on balance we cannot/should not seek to silence these people, merely ensure that we as supporters speak more loudly in favour of respect and tolerance.
                            Living over here in England and elsewhere (including Salt Lake City at one point) I’ve come across plenty of evangelicals and I agree completely with your depiction of their motivations.

I wouldn’t seek to silence anybody unless they’re inciting violence or mistreatment of others, and that isn’t what Folau or Billy were trying to do, but they have to understand that just expressing these views can cause harm to some and there are consequences for that.

Saving somebody’s soul, whether they want it saved or not, has long been a great excuse to cause all sorts of harm in this life, intentional or otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

A semi final of Europe match thread and your worrying about what some eejit wrote on Instagram and other eejits liked? Any of that gonna matter when he's barrelling down Rory Scannells channel? Or lifting off the back of the scrum and aiming to do damage to Murr and Tyler?

Selections and availability of players is relevant on a match thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

Good point.

Let’s just bate them up and down the field for 80 minutes and set up a humdinger of a final against the other great traditional power of European rugby.

Comment

Working...
                                X