MATCH THREAD: Munster Vs Cardiff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigLad View Post

People going about theatrics etc but take a shoulder off a 20 stone man unexpectedly and then come back to me.
    and also hit off Loughman because of said shoulder

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post

Not sure what the thinking is- next weeks game is the more difficult in order to get a home semi.

Whilst many may not agree -the Sarries game should not take preference over a home Pro 14 semi-final and a likely pro14 final.

Get to Sarries game with 2 wins should be a priority.
      If someone picks up a knock tomorrow and needs a week to recover, they'll miss the subsequent game. i.e. Treviso - not ideal, but we'll still be in at the sharp end of the Pro14 either way. This looks like what has happened with Jack O'Donoghue - he's certainly not overburdened with minutes on the field, and is one of those who would have benefited from as much gametime as possible. But after the concussion he picked up in Edinburgh, he's not even on the bench for tomorrow. He should hopefully be available the following week though.

If someone picks up a knock against Treviso and needs a week to recover then they too will miss the game subsequent to that one, which happens to be the HEC semi final. Obviously, lose that and we are out of that competition, and we need our strongest available side playing on top form to have any chance at all of winning. In spite of their great progress this season, Treviso are still not as great a challenge as Saracens.

The other issue is player exhaustion, which did for us in Bordeaux last year. I don't want to see the frontliners flogged when we have replacements available in several key positions who are up to the task of beating Treviso and keeping us in the hunt for a home semi in the Pro14. A good example there is Wycherley - I've huge time for him, and there's no doubt in my mind that if he plays in Italy instead of POM we should still have what it takes to win. There's also no doubt in my mind as to whether we'd be stronger with him or POM starting at 6 against Saracens.
      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by scotscor View Post
        yeah, if Cronin was available would be great to see him play, I'd like to see all who traveled and didn't start get a game.
        Possibly:
        Loughman, Rhys, Archer (who was very strong when he came on)
        Fineen Holland
        ? Botha Cloete
        Alby, JJ
        Sweets Goggin Arnold? Wooten
        Haley

Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Tyler Bleyendaal, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Kevin O’Byrne, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony (C), Chris Cloete, Arno Botha.

4/15.

Very poor punditry.
        Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
        Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post

If someone picks up a knock tomorrow and needs a week to recover, they'll miss the subsequent game. i.e. Treviso - not ideal, but we'll still be in at the sharp end of the Pro14 either way. This looks like what has happened with Jack O'Donoghue - he's certainly not overburdened with minutes on the field, and is one of those who would have benefited from as much gametime as possible. But after the concussion he picked up in Edinburgh, he's not even on the bench for tomorrow. He should hopefully be available the following week though.

If someone picks up a knock against Treviso and needs a week to recover then they too will miss the game subsequent to that one, which happens to be the HEC semi final. Obviously, lose that and we are out of that competition, and we need our strongest available side playing on top form to have any chance at all of winning. In spite of their great progress this season, Treviso are still not as great a challenge as Saracens.

The other issue is player exhaustion, which did for us in Bordeaux last year. I don't want to see the frontliners flogged when we have replacements available in several key positions who are up to the task of beating Treviso and keeping us in the hunt for a home semi in the Pro14. A good example there is Wycherley - I've huge time for him, and there's no doubt in my mind that if he plays in Italy instead of POM we should still have what it takes to win. There's also no doubt in my mind as to whether we'd be stronger with him or POM starting at 6 against Saracens.
          We don't have two intercontinental flights between the quarter and semi this season, so exhaustion shouldn't be an issue. And outside of Murray, POM and Earls every one of them has had a few weeks off during the 6 nations (And those 3 didn't play against Zebre). As I said earlier in the thread I expect the starters this week on the bench or rested and the bench players starting, You can't wrap them up in cotton wool. They could as easily turn an ankle in training.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

We don't have two intercontinental flights between the quarter and semi this season, so exhaustion shouldn't be an issue.
            I think that was a bigger issue last year than intended and it must have affected the team. I was in Baltimore (Cork) at the same time and that travelling was fairly tough too .

"I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
            Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post

The sharp end of the Pro14 yes - but there is a big difference between at home in a semi or away to Leinster. Given that it is away to Saracens in the semi of the Hcup - the Pro14 is the best chance of silverware and vital for rankings next year in HCup and should be prioritised.

Priorities are rarely publicly admitted anyway - so even with a strong team for Treviso - it could be in prep for Sarries - so we may never know where the priority lies unless Van the Gran decides to share...
              ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
              AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

The sharp end of the Pro14 yes - but there is a big difference between at home in a semi or away to Leinster. Given that it is away to Saracens in the semi of the Hcup - the Pro14 is the best chance of silverware and vital for rankings next year in HCup and should be prioritised.

Priorities are rarely publicly admitted anyway - so even with a strong team for Treviso - it could be in prep for Sarries - so we may never know where the priority lies unless Van the Gran decides to share...
                I have no doubt that before jvg stepped through customs at Shannon he knew that the hcup was the priority and results from it would be used to deem his reign a success or failure.

Comment

The priority is the HEC. Wonder no more.

Comment

The priority is silverware. We have a strong chance in the league and pretty low chance in the cup. If you offered me both I'd take the cup first, but I certainly don't see an issue with both having equal priority right now.
                    Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

The priority is silverware. We have a strong chance in the league and pretty low chance in the cup. If you offered me both I'd take the cup first, but I certainly don't see an issue with both having equal priority right now.
                      3 semi finals is not a bad record for Van the Gran. I think Munster need to strengthen a bit more to win the HCup - although not far off with additions this year. I think "equal priority" is fair enough as you have to balance importance of competition with chances of success.
                      ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                      AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

The priority is the HEC. Wonder no more.
                        So why haven't we massively rotated like you said we would?

Comment

Succinctly and excellently put.

The priority is winning, what is won remains to be seen. Just have to learn to win these key games and hope for the best
                          I am the million man.

Comment

Any silverware would be a huge achievement. I certainly wouldn’t be undervaluing the PRO14. Think the days of only judging a season by the Heineken Cup are gone. Especially with the Semi-finals/Final of the PRO14 after the Heineken Cup final. I don’t see why we should need to prioritise one over another. We have a large enough squad to compete on both fronts.
                            "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

Can't make tomorrow's Cardiff game - 2 seats available to good home.

Tickets gone.
                              Last edited by anno12; 4th-April-2019, 22:11.

Comment

Originally posted by anno12 View Post
                                Can't make tomorrow's Cardiff game - 2 seats available to good home
                                I’ll take them if you still have them. I’ll private message you.
                                The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Working...
                                X