MATCH THREAD: Munster Vs Cardiff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MATCH THREAD: Munster Vs Cardiff

We have a poor record against Cardiff recently so it would be nice to put them back in their box
    Starts
    5th-April-2019 19:35
    Ends
    5th-April-2019 21:35
    When things go wrong, blame McGahan

We need to win this one well- as well as all the others at this stage of the year.

Depends how much they spent last week celebrating the 6N, 5 tries against Scarlett’s the week before and a rest last week could make it very difficult for us. They are away to us and Connacht in successive weeks, and in a head to head against our western cousins. if Connacht have recover from the Sale debacle, an away Zebre fixture is about as handy as it gets, and if Munster win, they can secure a quarter final next week in from of their own fans. Cardiff certainly have a lot to play for.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
      We need to win this one well- as well as all the others at this stage of the year.

Depends how much they spent last week celebrating the 6N, 5 tries against Scarlett’s the week before and a rest last week could make it very difficult for us. They are away to us and Connacht in successive weeks, and in a head to head against our western cousins. if Connacht have recover from the Sale debacle, an away Zebre fixture is about as handy as it gets, and if Munster win, they can secure a quarter final next week in from of their own fans. Cardiff certainly have a lot to play for.
      The reality is that the Pro 14 is Munster's best chance of getting to a final and getting a trophy. Sacrilegious, I know, but Munster probably need to prioritise the league...
      ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
      AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post

The reality is that the Pro 14 is Munster's best chance of getting to a final and getting a trophy. Sacrilegious, I know, but Munster probably need to prioritise the league...
        Good luck making a case for that! If we were at risk of not qualifying for Europe next year than sure that might make sense but we'll never prioritise trying to win a Pro14 over a European Cup.

Comment

Having left home to head for Embra on Friday at 05:00 and not getting back home 'till 01:15 this morning, I'm really looking forward to travelling to this game.

By foot.

Comment

Hopefully Joey can get 80 mins this week or away in treviso to get sharp for saracens. Cardiff scraping for their life a pro 14 qtr and euro qualifying after a few years in the challenge cup.

Comment

Ye need to win this one and win it well
              When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
                Ye need to win this one and win it well
                Could that be classed as encouragement...…...
                Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by BigLad View Post
                  Hopefully Joey can get 80 mins this week or away in treviso to get sharp for saracens. Cardiff scraping for their life a pro 14 qtr and euro qualifying after a few years in the challenge cup.
                  Joey's injury is hamstring related - no way he play this week, let alone get 80 in. We will be lucky if he is available for the semi.

Comment

Plenty of tv coverage of this one if you are unable to go to the game. Eir Sport 1 / Premier Sports 2 / TG4 / S4C

Comment

While we won well enough in this fixture last season, the memory of losing to them at home in 2016 still lingers and they've certainly managed to beat us pretty comprehensively in their own home ground - we lost there 37-13 in September and 25-18 in February last year, so at this stage we owe them. They're the strongest of the Welsh sides at present on 52 points, the same as third-placed Connacht, but are fourth in our conference based on a points differential of just 6. So their first target for the weekend is a win that denies us a losing BP into the bargain (which would improve their points difference), followed by a BP win to give them a chance of staying on level pegging with Connacht who are away to Zebre and could well get a try BP of their own. They'll be coming at us hammer and tongs!

In terms of our selection, I'd expect to see a mix of frontliners and lads fighting to be frontliners - a few of those who didn't make the squad for Edinburgh might get the nod, guys like Cloete (especially if JOD needs more time to recover from the concussion) and Wycherley. Probably no point in having a stab at a 23 for this game before the squad update, but one thought has been at the back of my mind for a couple of weeks now. With James Cronin having been added to our European squad, I would hope that he's not far away from making an appearance either in this game or against Treviso - after all, even if everything goes our way we've an absolute maximum of two European games left. I know it's probably wishful thinking, but seeing his name in the squad would give us a wee boost. And it's not beyond the bounds of possibility - I've said before that JVG seems to like throwing a few curveballs with his selections, such as having Wycherley and O'Shea start in the second row against Zebre the previous weekend. Other than that, it's really a two-game interval before the semi-final so a lot of our confimed first-teamers should be rested for one of them so as to avoid ending up flogged as they face into the business end of the season.
                      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                        While we won well enough in this fixture last season, the memory of losing to them at home in 2016 still lingers and they've certainly managed to beat us pretty comprehensively in their own home ground - we lost there 37-13 in September and 25-18 in February last year, so at this stage we owe them. They're the strongest of the Welsh sides at present on 52 points, the same as third-placed Connacht, but are fourth in our conference based on a points differential of just 6. So their first target for the weekend is a win that denies us a losing BP into the bargain (which would improve their points difference), followed by a BP win to give them a chance of staying on level pegging with Connacht who are away to Zebre and could well get a try BP of their own. They'll be coming at us hammer and tongs!

In terms of our selection, I'd expect to see a mix of frontliners and lads fighting to be frontliners - a few of those who didn't make the squad for Edinburgh might get the nod, guys like Cloete (especially if JOD needs more time to recover from the concussion) and Wycherley. Probably no point in having a stab at a 23 for this game before the squad update, but one thought has been at the back of my mind for a couple of weeks now. With James Cronin having been added to our European squad, I would hope that he's not far away from making an appearance either in this game or against Treviso - after all, even if everything goes our way we've an absolute maximum of two European games left. I know it's probably wishful thinking, but seeing his name in the squad would give us a wee boost. And it's not beyond the bounds of possibility - I've said before that JVG seems to like throwing a few curveballs with his selections, such as having Wycherley and O'Shea start in the second row against Zebre the previous weekend. Other than that, it's really a two-game interval before the semi-final so a lot of our confimed first-teamers should be rested for one of them so as to avoid ending up flogged as they face into the business end of the season.
                        Keith Earls and Niall Scannell were on press duty today - usually players who are going to be playing do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Good luck making a case for that! If we were at risk of not qualifying for Europe next year than sure that might make sense but we'll never prioritise trying to win a Pro14 over a European Cup.
                          That's a mindset that belongs in the past. We've a better chance of winning the Pro14 than the HEC. You don't bin the one you've a better chance of winning on the off chance that you might win the other. We haven't won ANYTHING in 8 years.

I'd expect a slightly rotated team this week with a few more rested in Treviso, but strong teams both weeks. What was obvious from last weekend is that the international players need more game time in red.
                          Last edited by Wallyman; 1st-April-2019, 13:31.

Comment

Bill J or JJ to start at 10 for me with Tyler in reserve. Joey even if available should be rested .

Comment

yeah, if Cronin was available would be great to see him play, I'd like to see all who traveled and didn't start get a game.
                              Possibly:
                              Loughman, Rhys, Archer (who was very strong when he came on)
                              Fineen Holland
                              ? Botha Cloete
                              Alby, JJ
                              Sweets Goggin Arnold? Wooten
                              Haley

Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Working...
                              X