No announcement yet.

Coaching Team

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our back play is not where we would like it to be, it’s not where to coaches or player would like it to be either, but we have improved a lot in the last 12 months, our defense and passing has improved a lot. We are going in the right direction, the addition of Howley could be the key we need for the next step, I’m not happy about the apparent lack of interest in signing anyone and don’t believe it to be the case, hopefully there is something in the works.

Overall Rome wasn’t built in a day, and we have a chance to turnover Leinster in the RDS. That would put a right shine on the year.
    Last edited by lawrence; 7th-May-2019, 09:14.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Although they ended up with nothing this year, I think you can add Edinburgh to that list- and again the undeniable progress is down to a shrewd tough as nails head coach. I wonder sometimes whether JVG is just a bit too nice, that things are a bit too lacking in confrontation.
      Personally, I think JVG has brought a softer edge to Munster. I think he is too nice. Rugby is a game where huge respect is shown to the opposition. I find in his interviews he is overly complimentary pre and post game. Also, not a fan of his post loss mantra of: 'we will start the week again at zero. Every week we start at zero.' He has said it a hundred times this season, and I know it's a small thing, but to me it's a terrible mantra. Why would you wipe the slate clean from all the mistakes you made the previous week? We play like a team that isn't b*ll*cked for the mistakes made the previous weekend. Can you imagine Joe Schmidt wiping the slate clean like that? Not a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketchy View Post

Personally, I think JVG has brought a softer edge to Munster. I think he is too nice. Rugby is a game where huge respect is shown to the opposition. I find in his interviews he is overly complimentary pre and post game. Also, not a fan of his post loss mantra of: 'we will start the week again at zero. Every week we start at zero.' He has said it a hundred times this season, and I know it's a small thing, but to me it's a terrible mantra. Why would you wipe the slate clean from all the mistakes you made the previous week? We play like a team that isn't b*ll*cked for the mistakes made the previous weekend. Can you imagine Joe Schmidt wiping the slate clean like that? Not a chance.
        I think you're inferring way to much from his press conference utterances. There is simply no way that they ignore issues from the previous week. They players are always talking about the Monday video reviews and I've heard JVG talk about them too. Starting every week at zero is about not taking the baggage of a defeat or overconfidence from a victory into the next game.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

I think you're inferring way to much from his press conference utterances. There is simply no way that they ignore issues from the previous week. They players are always talking about the Monday video reviews and I've heard JVG talk about them too. Starting every week at zero is about not taking the baggage of a defeat or overconfidence from a victory into the next game.
          I didn't mean to suggest that they didn't review the issues in video sessions. I would of course expect them to do that. I just feel as a mantra it's weak. He seems to have dropped it in the last month or two, but I remember thinking that (for me) it doesn't create the right tone. And whatever tone is being rolled out, it seems to affect how we start games. We are very very slow starters.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketchy View Post

Also, not a fan of his post loss mantra of: 'we will start the week again at zero. Every week we start at zero.' He has said it a hundred times this season, and I know it's a small thing, but to me it's a terrible mantra. Why would you wipe the slate clean from all the mistakes you made the previous week?.
            Have you ever heard him say it after a bad loss, though? I can only remember him saying it after wins, where he means we have to start again as we move towards the next win
            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

It maybe inferring too much from the interviews, and I can’t recall him saying it after losses (but then there haven’t been that many)- I understand it as ‘we don’t get ahead of ourselves, etc’, but there’s only so far you can progress in a week, and if you start on Monday at zero, that must constrain how far you can get by Saturday. Of course this is a superficial reading of the comment- but I’d put it alongside POMs mantra about learning from performances- if it means anything it means we should be seeing improvement on the field in the particular areas where we have come up short. Very hard to see evidence of that against Connacht, and if we don’t see it against Leinster we will lose, and should really question just how much commitment there is to improving beyond the high level we are at.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post

Have you ever heard him say it after a bad loss, though? I can only remember him saying it after wins, where he means we have to start again as we move towards the next win
                As far as i remember he has said it after defeats as much as victories. A quick google threw up: https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...ro-465113.html

It's potentially a very small thing, but for me it doesn't create the right culture. I could be completely wrong. But compare to Lancaster's 'comfort in chaos' mantra, and how much les Blues buy into that, and suddenly a small thing can have a more significant effect. Interestingly though he hasn't said it in about two months

Comment

I kind of agree with Sketchy regarding the start from zero thing. It has occurred to me that, psychologically, after a bad loss like Saracens, we want the players to carry the frustration and the bitterness through the rest of the season. We want them coming onto the field angry against every opponent throughout the knock out stages, looking to redeem themselves and make a point to the press and everybody else.

We saw a bit of it in the Connacht game but it fizzled out pretty quickly and we were flat as a pancake against Treviso. The Munster that won HECs were masters at nurturing and using that pain, not "going back to zero" every time.

If the team that goes out to play Leinster isn't chomping at the bit I'll be very worried about the coaching team's ability to set the right tone. Ice in the mind is all well and good but rugby is still a game where you need the bit of fire in the belly.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                    I kind of agree with Sketchy regarding the start from zero thing. It has occurred to me that, psychologically, after a bad loss like Saracens, we want the players to carry the frustration and the bitterness through the rest of the season. We want them coming onto the field angry against every opponent throughout the knock out stages, looking to redeem themselves and make a point to the press and everybody else.

We saw a bit of it in the Connacht game but it fizzled out pretty quickly and we were flat as a pancake against Treviso. The Munster that won HECs were masters at nurturing and using that pain, not "going back to zero" every time.

If the team that goes out to play Leinster isn't chomping at the bit I'll be very worried about the coaching team's ability to set the right tone. Ice in the mind is all well and good but rugby is still a game where you need the bit of fire in the belly.
                    The frustration and bitterness thing belongs in the past. It got us a long way in a different era, but doesn't get you past the better teams anymore. Every game should be treated with equal respect. That's how teams like Leinster and Saracens do it and it is how we should be doing it too. If anything we didn't show enough respect to Benetton.

Comment

The frustration and bitterness thing belongs in the past. It got us a long way in a different era, but doesn't get you past the better teams anymore. Every game should be treated with equal respect. That's how teams like Leinster and Saracens do it and it is how we should be doing it too. If anything we didn't show enough respect to Benetton.
                      I agree on the pitch, but not overall. The value of anger and bitterness isn't in producing a one off performance of boot, bite and bollock in response. You're right that piss and vinegar doesn't cut it any more.

It's in creating an environment where guys push themselves harder, train more aggressively, are more ruthless in their appraisal of their own skills and what they need to do about them.

One of the interesting things in POC's book was that, even at pro level, there's a group of dedicated, focused individuals that set the tone and the level when it comes to training and drag the others up with them.

That's where I'd hope it's manifesting - in total commitment and drive the other 6 days of the week.
                      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

It’s not a substitute for technique, fitness etc. but when you come up against a team like Sarries or Leinster, you need to tap into that emotion.

Look at the way England came at us in the 6Ns. There was a lot of anger in the performance, especially in the first half. They were looking to make a statement against a team that had put them in the shade. They were not “starting from zero”.

Look at our own performance against Leinster after Christmas. We met fire with fire in a way that we hadn’t in some time. A lot of lads had a statement to make and it added that little bit of bite to every tackle and carry (as Fineen demonstrated).

Rugby is a physical sport. Anger and aggression will always make a difference.

Comment

Felix and Fla are leaving at the end of the season per Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by milfordpie View Post
                            Felix and Fla are leaving at the end of the season per Twitter
                            Both turned down contract offers.

https://munsterrugby.ie/2019/05/07/c...-the-province/

Comment

Both leaving at the same time is a worry. Suggests things are less than rosy in the coaching team.

Comment

Not good, especially for continuity. Maybe some of the coaches being mentioned coming in made them reconsider their own decisions
                                "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Working...
                                X