No announcement yet.

Coaching Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading Larkhams comments gives us a little insight into what he's going to do. He mentioned the decision making by the forwards from the games he's watched back from last season. I presume he's talking about one out runners and heads down rugby.

Also mentioned the backs need more detail.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
      [h=1]Let's imagine the Twickenham massacre serves as some sort of wake-up call for Ireland, normal service resumes, Ireland beats Scotland and Japan and Ireland in the World Cup and are rewarded with a quarterfinal against South Africa.
      Great slip of the pen there Cowboy! Know the feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post
        Reading Larkhams comments gives us a little insight into what he's going to do. He mentioned the decision making by the forwards from the games he's watched back from last season. I presume he's talking about one out runners and heads down rugby.

Unfortunately he also says we got loads of tries in Cork, but the reality was we played some very weakened sides there. He also admits elsewhere he knows little about NH rugby, so I’m far more interested in what he thinks about the skill levels he sees in training, and players at an individual level (eg JJ vs TB)- but I doubt we’ll hear that. At this early stage it’s all largely BS, but I’m really hopeful we will see an evolution in style, and nit just in the senior squad. I’m not optimistic about winning a cup this year (although home semi in PRO14 looks more likely), but I really do want to see forward who seek to dominate opponents, and backs that carry a (hopefully several) real threat. I also want to see real clarity about what is happening (and the future) in key positions- especially 9 & 10.

Comment

I'm glad he's keeping his powder dry tbh. If he's going to make some changes he shouldn't publicise the detail. That'd only give the opposition things to look for and counter.

It'll be interesting to see how he can nurture the skillful players.
          Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
          Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

I don't give a sh!t what he says in public interviews to be honest. He might talk a good game a do nothing to impact our style of play or he may stutter and sound like a bluffer and revolutionize our style. Lets just wait and see how he gets the time performing with ball in hand over the course of the full season.

Comment

Ideally less hoofing from 9 and less one out brave but futile stuff. Players will be pleased to have such respected working with them.

Comment

Any chance Larkham could tog out for us? Some talent https://youtu.be/DeV92r24NHY
                When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Originally posted by B.A. View Post
                  Any chance Larkham could tog out for us? Some talent https://youtu.be/DeV92r24NHY
                  Nice to see big Jim Williams giving the scoring pass about half way through that video.

Comment

I know that the additions of Rowntree and Larkham are fantastic but I don't think that we will see the full benefits of their coaching experience until next season. Larkham wasn't with the squad until two weeks ago and Rowntree won't be there until mid to late October given Georgia's last World Cup game isn't until October 11th. Then on top of that we currently have 12 players away at the World Cup and I can't imagine we will see them before the end of November. So how much time will the coaching team have to work with their full squad before the HC games start, not enough time in my opinion. But I hope that I'm wrong

Comment

Originally posted by barryfitz87 View Post
                      I know that the additions of Rowntree and Larkham are fantastic but I don't think that we will see the full benefits of their coaching experience until next season. Larkham wasn't with the squad until two weeks ago and Rowntree won't be there until mid to late October given Georgia's last World Cup game isn't until October 11th. Then on top of that we currently have 12 players away at the World Cup and I can't imagine we will see them before the end of November. So how much time will the coaching team have to work with their full squad before the HC games start, not enough time in my opinion. But I hope that I'm wrong
                      I agree with you, we need to be patient. But there’s another reason, as you say we have 12 guys going to japan- all of them starting internationals (or there abouts). That means we have top class players, and we are not a bad side. There are no quick fixes that will suddenly make us hcup winners. It’s easy to make a bit of improvement to a bad side, what we need is to evolve a style of play, and a full squad, that can beat excellent sides. Inevitably that will take time- but I believe we have the players, and now the back room staff, to do so.

Comment

One area where Larkham can make a quick impression is in power plays. Have a few moves in the locker for the business end of the season that can unlock the best defences.

I'd agree though that it'll take at least 12 months until we see things running smoothly.

Comment

One area where Larkham can make a quick impression is in power plays. Have a few moves in the locker for the business end of the season that can unlock the best defences.

I'd agree though that it'll take at least 12 months until we see things running smoothly.
                          I'd sort of agree. The area for me is inside the oppositions 22. We're more than capable of getting ourselves into dangerous positions, but then huff and puff through the phases while top class defences just soak us up.

Whether it's set moves or just a greater ability to keep the ball alive and challenge defensive structures, he could have a massive and visible impact if he can make us more efficient in the opposition 22.
                          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Dodged a bullet? Did he make a visit to Limerick FC when he was here?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rug...-38507122.html

Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

With Georgia's exit today, how long before Rowntree arrives? I can imagine the charms of Tiblisi wear off pretty quickly.
                              When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

I'd say Felix will have a busy week helping to analyze the Japanese !

Comment

Working...
                                X