Coaching Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post

Oh ye of little faith. After half a season with Larkham Chris will release his inner Jonah Lomu and god help anybody who tries to tackle him.
    Half a season? I thought we were all expecting results Day 1
    Has Fineen put Johnny down yet?

Comment

Originally posted by FORWARD.... View Post

And Mr Farrell better be up for it after his comments last season
      In fairness, when he’s given any decent ball Farrell delivers what he promises. He’s been stymied by our style and his comments were fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

In fairness, when he’s given any decent ball Farrell delivers what he promises. He’s been stymied by our style and his comments were fair enough.
        They were, but it was surprising they were made as openly as they were. In the event they revealed that quite a lot was wrong with the coaching set up, and I’m delighted this has been addressed.

Comment

Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post
          Play your cards right there Chippy and you could be well in.
          Sadly it was not to be ...
          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by FORWARD.... View Post

Half a season? I thought we were all expecting results Day 1
            Farrell will be in Japan.

Comment

When the players come back from Japan Larkham will have very little time to get our internationals into whatever systems he works on with the others, potentially Murray, Carberry, Farrell, Conway and Earls in the back line. Depending on how far Ireland goes in the World Cup should be interesting with a fairly short run up to European Cup

Comment

It wasn’t very clear but I understood it to mean that he wasn’t sure a career in coaching, with all its sacrifices, was for him so he stepped away from it. If in a year or two he’s itching to get back in, he’ll know that it’s what he wants.
                Thought he came across really well in interview and spoke in detail with his answers.

Re leaving there was a comment or two - quickly rectified - that tells me he mightn't have been happy with the five's a crowd situation of two, possibly three new heads coming in. Either that or the direction they were going in.

Complete guesswork here, but for me both he and Felix were dropped in the deep end with huge disruption above them and very quickly promoted to the top of their respective pathways. Whether premature or not; for money reasons, whatever, but after five years slogging their guts out I can see how demotion would feel like a kick in the teeth from a management board addressing its own mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Amar56 View Post

Thought he came across really well in interview and spoke in detail with his answers.

Re leaving there was a comment or two - quickly rectified - that tells me he mightn't have been happy with the five's a crowd situation of two, possibly three new heads coming in. Either that or the direction they were going in.

Complete guesswork here, but for me both he and Felix were dropped in the deep end with huge disruption above them and very quickly promoted to the top of their respective pathways. Whether premature or not; for money reasons, whatever, but after five years slogging their guts out I can see how demotion would feel like a kick in the teeth from a management board addressing its own mistakes.
                  They weren’t bringing in a forwards coach until Fla decided to leave. They were bringing in a senior attack coach. A demotion of sorts for Felix but not for Fla.

Comment

Originally posted by locomotion View Post
                    When the players come back from Japan Larkham will have very little time to get our internationals into whatever systems he works on with the others, potentially Murray, Carberry, Farrell, Conway and Earls in the back line. Depending on how far Ireland goes in the World Cup should be interesting with a fairly short run up to European Cup
                    I’d presume they will have a few weeks off as well, after the RWC, otherwise it’ll be one heck of a season for a few of them. Would imagine that will allow time for Larkham to make clear what he’s expecting.

Comment

They weren’t bringing in a forwards coach until Fla decided to leave. They were bringing in a senior attack coach. A demotion of sorts for Felix but not for Fla.
                      He was on Joe.ie's House of Rugby and said that he just wanted to take a year out to see if coaching was really what he wanted to do. He talked about all that is involved in being a coach and how he is enjoying being able to bring his kids to the creche etc.He seemed burned out and said that if come May he really misses coaching then he will know that it is what he really wants to do.

Comment

Originally posted by barryfitz87 View Post

He was on Joe.ie's House of Rugby and said that he just wanted to take a year out to see if coaching was really what he wanted to do. He talked about all that is involved in being a coach and how he is enjoying being able to bring his kids to the creche etc.He seemed burned out and said that if come May he really misses coaching then he will know that it is what he really wants to do.
                        Yep, see my earlier post to that effect. Just quashing Amar's theory that he left because they were bringing in 2 or 3 coaches and he was being "demoted". It was nothing like that. Even the theory that he left "in solidarity with Felix" seemed a bit unlikely.

Fans that we are, we have a tendency to think that nobody would ever voluntarily leave a job with Munster, either as a player or as a coach, unless they were mismanaged or mistreated in some way. Consequently every time somebody moves on the managements get dog's abuse on here, with opinions like "people don't quit jobs, they quit managers" trotted out as fact. The reality is that not everybody is cut out for it and just decide it's not for them.

Fair play to Fla for his honesty by the way.

Comment

Quash away, MB. Though unless you're alluding to inside info on what 'really' happened I wouldn't worry too much about controlling the narrative here - partly cause it's all random opinions on the interweb anyway and besides, no one cares.

My point was more that 'if' they were offered lesser roles as the result of being promoted too soon by the branch I can see why anyone in their shoes would walk. Flannery strikes me as a very honest and open guy in interview, though probably the last thing he'd ever want is to do is air grievances with the club he grew up dreaming of playing for and then coached. Sure family played a part but strikes me a bit odd you'd give five years of your life to something that really took you through the ringer and leave just when it looks like reaping the reward for all the hard work you've put in. As for it being FACT that only one new coach was coming that's not clear either. JVG in April:

"Hopefully we can keep everyone involved and maybe look at bringing in some additional faces and some new blood with some new ideas but that’s all for next season"

Doesn't sound like one person to me, but I don't lose sleep over it. The lads have moved on, wish them every success.

Comment

Originally posted by Amar56 View Post
                            Quash away, MB. Though unless you're alluding to inside info on what 'really' happened I wouldn't worry too much about controlling the narrative here - partly cause it's all random opinions on the interweb anyway and besides, no one cares.

My point was more that 'if' they were offered lesser roles as the result of being promoted too soon by the branch I can see why anyone in their shoes would walk. Flannery strikes me as a very honest and open guy in interview, though probably the last thing he'd ever want is to do is air grievances with the club he grew up dreaming of playing for and then coached. Sure family played a part but strikes me a bit odd you'd give five years of your life to something that really took you through the ringer and leave just when it looks like reaping the reward for all the hard work you've put in. As for it being FACT that only one new coach was coming that's not clear either. JVG in April:

"Hopefully we can keep everyone involved and maybe look at bringing in some additional faces and some new blood with some new ideas but that’s all for next season"

Doesn't sound like one person to me, but I don't lose sleep over it. The lads have moved on, wish them every success.
                            And keep wearing that tinfoil hat Amar!

Comment

I could listen to Jerry Flannery all day. Here he is on his decision to quit Munster, how he ended up at Arsenal and dealing with the millionaire kids there,(at the start of the video) what it means to be part of Munster as a player and as a coach, and reflecting on Axel Foley (at the end of the video).
                              edit: He also says that munster are in the best shape for 10 years and while Munster can win silverware this year he doesn't think they will.
                              Last edited by rathbaner; Today, 13:47.
                              Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/08/...ad-update-178/

Comment

Working...
                                X