Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coaching Team

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    https://www.the42.ie/analysis-austra...urce=shortlink

    Murray kinsella looking at Larkhams Australian attack.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Amar56 View Post
      https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...21-p5202o.html

      By the numbers puff piece but it's nice to see he flew to Argentina to help the juniors out. Looking forward to him building on McNamara's good work.
      Scouting for Munster has already started

      Comment


        Originally posted by Lonstonitis View Post

        Scouting for Munster has already started
        Scouting for assistant Coach or players?
        Has Fineen put Johnny down yet?

        Comment


          Jerry Flannery breaks his silence:

          'It just didn’t feel right for me': Jerry Flannery explains his Munster departure

          By Stephen Barry

          Irish Examiner

          Tuesday, July 30, 2019 - 06:08 PM

          Jerry Flannery has spoken about his decision to leave his role as forwards coach with Munster.

          Flannery, alongside backs coach Felix Jones, turned down the contract extensions they were offered in May, leaving the province scrambling to recruit their replacements for the following season.

          He says the decision to depart the Munster coaching set-up after five years came down to a "gut feeling".


          "It's a fantastic job coaching with Munster. I loved it and it was a really good environment to work in, so it wasn't an easy decision to make. But just as things went on, I felt like all good things come to an end," he told the Ireland Unfiltered podcast.

          "To come from barely scraping into Europe in my second year to consistently getting to semi-finals, I feel the team is in touching distance of winning now. That's a good place for a club to be in.

          "It just didn't feel right for me to stay on with Munster. It wasn't an easy decision but I think it's best that I step out for a year - I don't know how long.

          "I spoke to my partner and said, 'I may be miserable at the end of the year but then at least I'll know the coaching bug has me'.

          "But Munster are in a good place and they've signed really good coaches to replace me."


          Graham Rowntree will replace Flannery as forwards coach once his contract with Georgia comes to an end after the World Cup.

          Stephen Larkham has also been recruited to join head coach Johann van Graan and defence coach JP Ferreira.

          Flannery continued: "You get a gut feeling and it just didn't feel right for me.

          "Coaching is very, very demanding and it's selfish at times because your family and your kids have to sacrifice quite a lot.

          "If you look at Munster at the moment, the coaches that are there, Johann van Graan has travelled thousands of miles from South Africa. JP Ferreira has travelled from South Africa. Stephen Larkham's come all the way from Australia, Graham Rowntree over from England.

          "They're actually sacrificing a lot more in terms of having to uproot their families to come over here.

          "When I grew up, I could run up to Thomond Park from my family home. Where I live in Limerick now is very close to the training centre so we haven’t had to sacrifice the same as other coaches.

          "That will be probably a test if after a couple of years or a year I start to go, 'I really miss professional sport, I really miss coaching'.


          "There probably won't be an opportunity for me to go back into Munster and then I'd have to sit with my partner and say, 'Would you be open to the idea of maybe going abroad? Maybe going to England or France?', and weighing that up then.

          "But at the moment, I've been lucky enough that I could afford myself the opportunity to step out of the job with Munster and if Munster can go on and win a European Cup next year and the following year then I'll be delighted.

          "It's still the club I love."
          Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

          Comment


            Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
            Jerry Flannery breaks his silence:

            'It just didn’t feel right for me': Jerry Flannery explains his Munster departure

            By Stephen Barry

            Irish Examiner

            Tuesday, July 30, 2019 - 06:08 PM

            Jerry Flannery has spoken about his decision to leave his role as forwards coach with Munster.

            Flannery, alongside backs coach Felix Jones, turned down the contract extensions they were offered in May, leaving the province scrambling to recruit their replacements for the following season.

            He says the decision to depart the Munster coaching set-up after five years came down to a "gut feeling".


            "It's a fantastic job coaching with Munster. I loved it and it was a really good environment to work in, so it wasn't an easy decision to make. But just as things went on, I felt like all good things come to an end," he told the Ireland Unfiltered podcast.

            "To come from barely scraping into Europe in my second year to consistently getting to semi-finals, I feel the team is in touching distance of winning now. That's a good place for a club to be in.

            "It just didn't feel right for me to stay on with Munster. It wasn't an easy decision but I think it's best that I step out for a year - I don't know how long.

            "I spoke to my partner and said, 'I may be miserable at the end of the year but then at least I'll know the coaching bug has me'.

            "But Munster are in a good place and they've signed really good coaches to replace me."


            Graham Rowntree will replace Flannery as forwards coach once his contract with Georgia comes to an end after the World Cup.

            Stephen Larkham has also been recruited to join head coach Johann van Graan and defence coach JP Ferreira.

            Flannery continued: "You get a gut feeling and it just didn't feel right for me.

            "Coaching is very, very demanding and it's selfish at times because your family and your kids have to sacrifice quite a lot.

            "If you look at Munster at the moment, the coaches that are there, Johann van Graan has travelled thousands of miles from South Africa. JP Ferreira has travelled from South Africa. Stephen Larkham's come all the way from Australia, Graham Rowntree over from England.

            "They're actually sacrificing a lot more in terms of having to uproot their families to come over here.

            "When I grew up, I could run up to Thomond Park from my family home. Where I live in Limerick now is very close to the training centre so we haven’t had to sacrifice the same as other coaches.

            "That will be probably a test if after a couple of years or a year I start to go, 'I really miss professional sport, I really miss coaching'.


            "There probably won't be an opportunity for me to go back into Munster and then I'd have to sit with my partner and say, 'Would you be open to the idea of maybe going abroad? Maybe going to England or France?', and weighing that up then.

            "But at the moment, I've been lucky enough that I could afford myself the opportunity to step out of the job with Munster and if Munster can go on and win a European Cup next year and the following year then I'll be delighted.

            "It's still the club I love."
            I read this yesterday on Joe.ie. On the one hand he seems burned out from coaching and wanted to spend time with his family, who have made a lot of sacrifices, but then on the other hand he talks about walking away from a renewal being a gut feeling.

            Comment


              Maybe it was just no fun anymore, a huge sacrifice with little payback?
              Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

              Comment


                Anyone know what date Larkham arrives? All I heard was August.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by dropkick View Post
                  Anyone know what date Larkham arrives? All I heard was August.
                  I was thinking about that yesterday. I hoped that he would be in situ when the players arrive from their current break for the second block of pre-season. But as you said nothing has been said other than August.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by barryfitz87 View Post

                    I read this yesterday on Joe.ie. On the one hand he seems burned out from coaching and wanted to spend time with his family, who have made a lot of sacrifices, but then on the other hand he talks about walking away from a renewal being a gut feeling.
                    It wasn’t very clear but I understood it to mean that he wasn’t sure a career in coaching, with all its sacrifices, was for him so he stepped away from it. If in a year or two he’s itching to get back in, he’ll know that it’s what he wants.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by barryfitz87 View Post

                      I was thinking about that yesterday. I hoped that he would be in situ when the players arrive from their current break for the second block of pre-season. But as you said nothing has been said other than August.
                      JVG said in an interview at the start of pre season that he'd be here for block 2, so I'd expect him in next week.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

                        JVG said in an interview at the start of pre season that he'd be here for block 2, so I'd expect him in next week.
                        Excited to see what he can do with Joey, Tyler, JJ and Scannell at 10/12 to add a bit more creativity to our back line. There’s ability there that’s untapped.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

                          Excited to see what he can do with Joey, Tyler, JJ and Scannell at 10/12 to add a bit more creativity to our back line. There’s ability there that’s untapped.
                          And Mr Farrell better be up for it after his comments last season
                          Has Fineen put Johnny down yet?

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by FORWARD.... View Post

                            And Mr Farrell better be up for it after his comments last season
                            Oh ye of little faith. After half a season with Larkham Chris will release his inner Jonah Lomu and god help anybody who tries to tackle him.

                            Comment


                              Play your cards right there Chippy and you could be well in.

                              Comment


                                It's JJ
                                Life is good

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X