Coaching Team

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

I hope they can make the difference, but it's not a little step imo. Progression in these competitions in logarithmic. The gap between winning the competition and losing a semi final can be as great as the gap between losing a semi and not getting out of the group.

The final few percentage points of performance that makes the difference are very hard won.

If you take Munster's original route to the trophy, I'd say that the team that won in 06 was unrecognisable in impact and performance to the team that lost, say, to Wasps in 2004.

The Leinster team that beat us at Croke Park in 2009 was a totally different beast to the one we eliminated at Landsdowne in 2006.

The Munster team that wins this competition again - if it does - will need to be a long way ahead of where they are now.
    We need a dose of ****ing stability too, more chefs than menus lately
    I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

Haha never heard that saying before, love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

It's interesting. Stability is clearly best for sustained success. But the impact of Townsend at Glasgow, Lam at Connacht and Lancaster at Leinster suggests that the right coach connected to the right set up can have a very rapid impact.

Keeping that impact going is where stability becomes important, I think. But I'm sceptical these days of the idea that a coach needs 3 seasons to embed a way of playing and see results. A lot of good coaches are making a mark quite quickly. It may take 3 seasons to come to a peak, but initial change can be rapid.
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

It's interesting. Stability is clearly best for sustained success. But the impact of Townsend at Glasgow, Lam at Connacht and Lancaster at Leinster suggests that the right coach connected to the right set up can have a very rapid impact.

Keeping that impact going is where stability becomes important, I think. But I'm sceptical these days of the idea that a coach needs 3 seasons to embed a way of playing and see results. A lot of good coaches are making a mark quite quickly. It may take 3 seasons to come to a peak, but initial change can be rapid.
          I’d agree, three seasons is a luxury in the modern game. One reason why you can expect some initial impact is that, if you can reassure the players that it’s a long term change, and you impress from the outset, they stop fretting about stuff they never really needed to think about, and morale gets a jolt. The first 100 days and all that. I’d imagine the Skype will be fairly busy between Limerick and Georgia and Australia? over the summer- and would hope that there’s a strong sense from preseason that we are moving on with a plan, rather than waiting until mid October. I wonder whether Rowntree will be over at some stage, and involved, before he heads off to Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

I’d agree, three seasons is a luxury in the modern game. One reason why you can expect some initial impact is that, if you can reassure the players that it’s a long term change, and you impress from the outset, they stop fretting about stuff they never really needed to think about, and morale gets a jolt. The first 100 days and all that. I’d imagine the Skype will be fairly busy between Limerick and Georgia and Australia? over the summer- and would hope that there’s a strong sense from preseason that we are moving on with a plan, rather than waiting until mid October. I wonder whether Rowntree will be over at some stage, and involved, before he heads off to Japan.
            They're going to have their work cut out. Key players will be conditioned to peak in the autumn. Christ knows where the season goes from there, even before you start counting injuries.

But I'd be happy if I see us failing to implement a new game plan rather than succeeding in implementing the current one, to be honest.
            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

The shtate of play is dis: Quinnie and others believe Larkham is a done deal. This is being put out with such conviction it's clear the parties are happy with the plan and have shook on it. While it MIGHT change the chances are minimal and no doubt Larkham has his family onside, so it would take something like an act of Satan to change it now. Oldschoolsocks who works hand in paw with beelzebub nearly had a coronary when he heard the news which proves my point. It's all over and done, bar the weeping and wailing from Koyleys.

Comment

Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post
                The shtate of play is dis: Quinnie and others believe Larkham is a done deal. This is being put out with such conviction it's clear the parties are happy with the plan and have shook on it. While it MIGHT change the chances are minimal and no doubt Larkham has his family onside, so it would take something like an act of Satan to change it now. Oldschoolsocks who works hand in paw with beelzebub nearly had a coronary when he heard the news which proves my point. It's all over and done, bar the weeping and wailing from Koyleys.
                Sadley, Koyleys is no more. Not sure where the Heino brigade hang out now but a few more venues are off the list since the pro 14 "celebrations"
                Has Fineen put Johnny down yet?

Comment

hold on, why is my name being taken vain here? I was in severe pain seeing the punctuation in the previous post. The word, then the comma, then the space - it’s not difficult...
                  Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post
                    hold on, why is my name being taken vain here? I was in severe pain seeing the punctuation in the previous post. The word, then the comma, then the space - it’s not difficult...
                    '......in vain'.

Polyurethane disdain I do maintain.

Comment

'......in vain'.

Polyurethane disdain I do maintain.
                      Got it now, I’m actually all for some decent coaches being hired down south for a change. Only issue then is will the senior players be open the change...
                      Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post

Got it now, I’m actually all for some decent coaches being hired down south for a change. Only issue then is will the senior players be open the change...
                        I wouldn’t worry too much about that, those players (and others) are desperate to win something, and will be more than aware of how far short they have fallen each year. [and frankly if they don’t then there are always opportunities elsewhere].

Comment

Er, anyone hazard a guess about the delay?

Bit odd for it to hit the news like that and go quiet for nearly a week.

Comment

It was not a done deal last week. The Indo breaking the story should not be considered a sealed deal. Still working on it as of last week, I suspect if both parties are happy with the offer it will be announced in the next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonstonitis View Post
                              It was not a done deal last week. The Indo breaking the story should not be considered a sealed deal. Still working on it as of last week, I suspect if both parties are happy with the offer it will be announced in the next week.

I wouldn't pay much attention to the Indo, but people who would generally be reliable on such things agreed.

I wouldn't worry too much about a week in the context of getting from "agreed in principal" to "announced" in a contract though. Could just be sat somewhere waiting on a signature.

Comment

Originally posted by isola ciarrai View Post
                                With Rowntree, excited to se how he can help Josh Wycherley, Rhys,Boomer O'Connor, and hopefully James Cronin, Loughman, Niall Scannell. Imagine he can also contribute to seeing how Hodnett, Finneen, Jacko, Sean O'Connor,Ivan Coombes, Darrenn O'Shea progress.
                                I agree, I think we actually have the makings of a new dynasty with the right coaching and prudent selection practices.

Comment

Working...
                                X