No announcement yet.

Coaching Team

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skills coach to me is bigger than the other two roles. Think it envelopes both of them. If players cant throw 2 out passes or run shearing angles then your depriving a skills coach of the tools he needs to make any meaningful change.
    \"If you can dream it, you can do it\".
    \"To the cowardly and unfaithful, nothing is possible\"

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post
      https://www.the42.ie/dave-johnston-m...39088-May2019/

More evidence of a poorly managed and coached squad.
      Not very encouraging to be honest.
      He told it as he saw it.
      The lack of confidence he felt in his ability to contribute was pretty disappointing.
      Stay cool .None of us are in the brain trust,right!

Comment

Originally posted by onthe 22 View Post

He told it as he saw it.
        The lack of confidence he felt in his ability to contribute was pretty disappointing.
        although you could also come at it from another angle and say maybe he just wasn't good enough to break into the team. We are a team in the top 4 in Europe and he is with Ealing Trailfinders.
        When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Originally posted by B.A. View Post

although you could also come at it from another angle and say maybe he just wasn't good enough to break into the team. We are a team in the top 4 in Europe and he is with Ealing Trailfinders.
          having read the article it sounds like he was not able to adjust his game and in such a competitive environment you either thrive or fallout of the system - and it is presumably set up like that deliberately. Perhaps it is different elsewhere - but I doubt it.
          ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
          AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post

having read the article it sounds like he was not able to adjust his game and in such a competitive environment you either thrive or fallout of the system - and it is presumably set up like that deliberately. Perhaps it is different elsewhere - but I doubt it.
            You have to make sure you don’t lose people who would thrive with a different approach, or more support- very costly to waste talent. I’m not saying he would/should have made it, but I think the academy’s success should be judged on the number who it enables to progress, not the number who survive it. This must surely be so where we don’t have the amount of talent available that Leinster have.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

You have to make sure you don’t lose people who would thrive with a different approach, or more support- very costly to waste talent. I’m not saying he would/should have made it, but I think the academy’s success should be judged on the number who it enables to progress, not the number who survive it. This must surely be so where we don’t have the amount of talent available that Leinster have.
              Yep fair enough. Just having read what DJ said there was nothing in there that left the impression with me that the problem was with the academy.
              ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
              AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

https://www.the42.ie/dave-johnston-m...39088-May2019/

More evidence of a poorly managed and coached squad.
                Interesting article, we are hard working but completely over coached. Needs to be a change in environment, we have outstanding players but they have been badly let down by the coaches.
                JVG has been here 18 months now and we have gone backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by onthe 22 View Post

He told it as he saw it.
                  To be honest he probably should never have got a senior contract in Munster. Unfortunately, doesn’t have the skill set for the highest level.
                  He was never a “stand out player” for Garryowen in the AIL. Hopefully he kicks on and reaches his potential in another environment.

Comment

Dave Johnston was enabled to progress from the academy. He got a two year senior contract. At the end of those two years though he wasn't deemed good enough and was released. The fact that he's at Ealing in the Championship says that maybe that's his level.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

Dave Johnston was enabled to progress from the academy. He got a two year senior contract. At the end of those two years though he wasn't deemed good enough and was released. The fact that he's at Ealing in the Championship says that maybe that's his level.
                      It may well do- but if the experience he reported is generally true in the academy, then we need to worry about how we are managing and developing the talent there. We want a greater flow of talent coming through the pipes, and avoid leakage.

Comment

Interesting looking at Glasgow lately. They used to be bottom of the league along with connacht and were turgid to watch.

They've gone from being very boring to playing the best attacking rugby in the league and all this despite being a selling club. Why? Because they've had 2 fantastic coaches. Townsend started things off and then they went and got Dave Rennie who is one of the top rated coaches in super rugby, winning the competition twice.

It was easier to sell a change of style to Glasgow supporters. Munster is a different story as Rob Penney found out. Maybe the Munster fans are ready for change now as ROG mentioned today.
                        https://youtu.be/RA71sy58o8Y

Comment

Mike Prendergast to Racing 92 (from Stade Francais) confirmed

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rug...-38138247.html

Comment

It may well do- but if the experience he reported is generally true in the academy, then we need to worry about how we are managing and developing the talent there. We want a greater flow of talent coming through the pipes, and avoid leakage.
                            I wouldn't see it that way, if anything he should have been "leakage" earlier on. The academy seems to have done its job & got him a senior contract, he just wasn't good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by mickiemcfist View Post

I wouldn't see it that way, if anything he should have been "leakage" earlier on. The academy seems to have done its job & got him a senior contract, he just wasn't good enough.
                              I can see how in one sense the academy does it’s job of a guy gets a senior contract- on the other hand what matters is that we actually strengthen the long term quality of the squad, and in that case it fails if the guy doesn’t really make it. I’m not arguing about him per se, there may have been many reasons for his failure to thrive, including lack of ability, but the general point is that even among these elite young players, they will develop at different rates, and face different challenges from each other- just doesn’t make sense to have a one size fits all approach, if focusing on the individual development needs would achieve more success overall (it does in most other spheres of life).

Comment

Interesting looking at Glasgow lately. They used to be bottom of the league along with connacht and were turgid to watch.

They've gone from being very boring to playing the best attacking rugby in the league and all this despite being a selling club. Why? Because they've had 2 fantastic coaches. Townsend started things off and then they went and got Dave Rennie who is one of the top rated coaches in super rugby, winning the competition twice.

It was easier to sell a change of style to Glasgow supporters. Munster is a different story as Rob Penney found out. Maybe the Munster fans are ready for change now as ROG mentioned today.
                                https://youtu.be/RA71sy58o8Y

I think it would be welcomed as it is clear that you can't just push the other top teams around the park and expect to walk off with a win. there has to be more of an attack focused on creating and exploiting space for carriers.

Comment

Working...
                                X