Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coaching Team

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Chrizzzie View Post
    Larkham would be an interesting option and also immediately available for the upcoming season.
    I’d imagine working with Larkham would be good for Joey, among others, and has the playing record that would impress when it comes to developing underage support structures. The question, inevitable with all players, is whether he can coach- but falling out with Cheika is surely a point in his favour!!

    Comment


      Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

      I’d imagine working with Larkham would be good for Joey, among others, and has the playing record that would impress when it comes to developing underage support structures. The question, inevitable with all players, is whether he can coach- but falling out with Cheika is surely a point in his favour!!
      It's amazing that he stayed with Cheika for 4 years

      Comment


        It's good to see us targeting coaches with experience at test level and that we're a big enough draw to get them in the door for interview. Makes Howley look like less of a certainty.

        Comment


          Larkham would be a great signing. He must be the leading contender.

          ​​​​​​

          Comment


            Originally posted by <BM> View Post
            It's good to see us targeting coaches with experience at test level and that we're a big enough draw to get them in the door for interview. Makes Howley look like less of a certainty.
            I agree, but we need to be clear on whether it’s coaching experience at international level (so not ROG), experience of coaching internationally (so yes to ROG), or test level playing experience (so yes to ROG).

            Comment


              Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

              How do you know that?

              Regardless, if they’re leaving because of JVG’s decision to beef up his team with a more experienced, more senior coach, that doesn’t make him a bad manager. In fact, being prepared to make a tough decision that ruffles feathers is often the sign of a very good one.
              They were offered new improved terms and still chose to walk .. is that a sign of good management ?
              Not in my opinion. I don't rate VanGraan, no secret there. We've been like Coach kindergarden for the last few years [outside of Erasmus], certainly since Penney left. It's an indictment of the whole organisation to be fair. Piss poor decisions are being made.
              Calm yourself sir.. you\'re going to give yourself skin failure.

              Comment


                Originally posted by sledger2003 View Post

                They were offered new improved terms and still chose to walk .. is that a sign of good management ?
                Not in my opinion. I don't rate VanGraan, no secret there. We've been like Coach kindergarden for the last few years [outside of Erasmus], certainly since Penney left. It's an indictment of the whole organisation to be fair. Piss poor decisions are being made.
                Which they are trying to rectify. This week we have been linked with howley and now Larkham. Majority of premiership teams would love to be linked to names like that for a back coach.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by sledger2003 View Post

                  They were offered new improved terms and still chose to walk .. is that a sign of good management ?
                  Not in my opinion. I don't rate VanGraan, no secret there. We've been like Coach kindergarden for the last few years [outside of Erasmus], certainly since Penney left. It's an indictment of the whole organisation to be fair. Piss poor decisions are being made.
                  I doubt any of know the details- and without that it’s very hard to make a sensible call on what happened. For example, improved terms (more money?) for the same role/level of responsibility, looks like a no brainier if you are happy with the current role; being moved sideways or downwards with improved terms, may not be at all attractive if you are ambitious.

                  Rassie’s arrival was the best thing that happened to the old coaching ticket, his departure was a bit of a mess, but although many organisations would not allow the incumbent to have any role whatsoever in appointing a successor, JVGs appointment has Rassie’s name all over it. I personally do not think he did, or would have, ‘sold us a pup’.

                  Along with everyone else I’m disappointed we didn’t make more progress this year (but a win on Saturday would be a step forward), but despite being substantially stronger in paper, we are still a long way short on the pitch. If we had mare no, or just superficial changes I think we would all be wondering why. Whether JVG got rid of Felix/Fla or wanted to move 1/2 of them aside/downwards, is his prerogative- but the buck will stop at his table if we fill those positions badly, or we fail to improve.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by sledger2003 View Post

                    They were offered new improved terms and still chose to walk .. is that a sign of good management ?
                    Not in my opinion. I don't rate VanGraan, no secret there. We've been like Coach kindergarden for the last few years [outside of Erasmus], certainly since Penney left. It's an indictment of the whole organisation to be fair. Piss poor decisions are being made.
                    Yeah, on the surface that doesn't look good for JVG, but to be fair, I think the writing was on the wall for Jones once it became known that an outside attack coach was being looked at. For Chris Farrell to come out with that strong of a message concerning the attack during an interview says a lot. I have a feeling that frustration with the game plans must have been building within the squad; what gets me is that they have shown flashes during the season. Away to Connacht and Gloucester, they played very well in attack. Those teams aren't Saracens, but they're not teams you can just roll at their home ground. As for Flannery, who knows why he left, maybe he has an offer elsewhere that hasn't been reported yet, maybe he wants to go the ROG route and go overseas to expand his knowledge of the game, maybe he wants to focus on non-rugby things, who knows.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

                      I doubt any of know the details- and without that it’s very hard to make a sensible call on what happened. For example, improved terms (more money?) for the same role/level of responsibility, looks like a no brainier if you are happy with the current role; being moved sideways or downwards with improved terms, may not be at all attractive if you are ambitious.

                      Rassie’s arrival was the best thing that happened to the old coaching ticket, his departure was a bit of a mess, but although many organisations would not allow the incumbent to have any role whatsoever in appointing a successor, JVGs appointment has Rassie’s name all over it. I personally do not think he did, or would have, ‘sold us a pup’.

                      Along with everyone else I’m disappointed we didn’t make more progress this year (but a win on Saturday would be a step forward), but despite being substantially stronger in paper, we are still a long way short on the pitch. If we had mare no, or just superficial changes I think we would all be wondering why. Whether JVG got rid of Felix/Fla or wanted to move 1/2 of them aside/downwards, is his prerogative- but the buck will stop at his table if we fill those positions badly, or we fail to improve.
                      Yep, agree with a lot of that.
                      Calm yourself sir.. you\'re going to give yourself skin failure.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

                        .... what gets me is that they have shown flashes during the season. Away to Connacht and Gloucester, they played very well in attack. Those teams aren't Saracens, but they're not teams you can just roll at their home ground.
                        And Joey Carbery played in both those games, no coincidence, and you can’t blame all that on Felix or Fla. Joey was MOTM in both games too
                        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

                        Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

                        Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by sledger2003 View Post

                          They were offered new improved terms and still chose to walk .. is that a sign of good management ?
                          Not in my opinion. I don't rate VanGraan, no secret there. We've been like Coach kindergarden for the last few years [outside of Erasmus], certainly since Penney left. It's an indictment of the whole organisation to be fair. Piss poor decisions are being made.
                          We are a top 3-4 team in Europe for the last couple of years. you could have McCall, Leo and Lancaster in our coaching team and we would not win a champions cup - we are still short the players. To get those players in we need the IRFU to back us, that is what needs to happen. Making comments about what did or did not happen without actually knowing the facts is just BS.
                          We have issues with our attack - that would appear to be being addressed, again we need the IRFU to back us to ensure we get the right person and same with forwards coach.

                          Comment


                            The best thing about Larkham is that he could provide one element that we have not had since ROG left.

                            An experienced 10 as a coach could develop the OH’s that we have, because since ROG finished none of our 10’s have reached their potential, and as far as I remember we have never had a former 10 on the coaching staff, and having a coach who knows 10 inside out is easily more important than a player who knows 15.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                              The best thing about Larkham is that he could provide one element that we have not had since ROG left.

                              An experienced 10 as a coach could develop the OH’s that we have, because since ROG finished none of our 10’s have reached their potential, and as far as I remember we have never had a former 10 on the coaching staff, and having a coach who knows 10 inside out is easily more important than a player who knows 15.
                              Interesting, Larkham was a running outhalf if I remember. I don't think he kicked much at all, quite different to what we are used to.
                              When things go wrong, blame McGahan

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by B.A. View Post

                                Interesting, Larkham was a running outhalf if I remember. I don't think he kicked much at all, quite different to what we are used to.
                                Superb tactical and offensive kicker also BA from what i remember.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X