Coaching Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PEATB0G View Post

Thats what i've been told. FJ was told some time back about bringing in a more senior attack coach and after the initial blow to his confidence/ego came around to the idea.

The rest is a bit long winded. The dearth of coaching in schools rugby, and what its producing for Munster, was/is a point of concern for some power brokers of the game in the Munster so the idea was floated, and gained traction, of a technical director/coach responsible for the schools game. In an attempt to recruit someone of some standing for this role it was felt that some sort of a role with the senior team was going to have to be in the remit, 'Skills' being the obvious choice. With that FJ confronted JVG about what his role was going to be if there is going to a new attack coach and a new skills coach. The waffling response from JVG prompted FJ to head for the door, and given that Fla has no time for spoof he headed for the door in support. (There's also a rumour that Fla and JVG had a falling out a while back too so relations weren't wonderful there. thats 3rd hand info though).
    If dearth of coaching in schools/age grade rugby was such a concern then whats being done about the development officers as its their role or should be to be checking whats done in clubs and schools in coaching and enhancing and improving that.

Comment

(There's also a rumour that Fla and JVG had a falling out a while back too so relations weren't wonderful there. thats 3rd hand info though).
      Whenever there's been a big win (away to Leicester last year, scraping past Edinburgh in the quarters e.g.) the cameras always go to the Munster coach box and I have suspected a coolness between Fla and JVG - the congratulations are not warm or spontaneous but more formal. I wondered about that a lot - was it maybe some innate SA reserve? but my instinct was Fla was wary about JVG.
      With that damning evidence........I demand the jury convict!

Comment

Originally posted by Chrizzzie View Post

I thought he's being considered for La Rochelle back coach and not the head coach?
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190514-185402.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	2569585
        I am the million man.

Comment

I thought he's being considered for La Rochelle back coach and not the head coach?
          This is a quote from the 42 article about him:

“Jono Gibbes is there as the Director of Rugby and he wants someone to run the rugby programme, and that’s what I’m speaking to him about.

Comment

Thats what i've been told. FJ was told some time back about bringing in a more senior attack coach and after the initial blow to his confidence/ego came around to the idea.

The rest is a bit long winded. The dearth of coaching in schools rugby, and what its producing for Munster, was/is a point of concern for some power brokers of the game in the Munster so the idea was floated, and gained traction, of a technical director/coach responsible for the schools game. In an attempt to recruit someone of some standing for this role it was felt that some sort of a role with the senior team was going to have to be in the remit, 'Skills' being the obvious choice. With that FJ confronted JVG about what his role was going to be if there is going to a new attack coach and a new skills coach. The waffling response from JVG prompted FJ to head for the door, and given that Fla has no time for spoof he headed for the door in support. (There's also a rumour that Fla and JVG had a falling out a while back too so relations weren't wonderful there. thats 3rd hand info though).
            Hot if unpopulat take - given their relative infancy as coaches, Fla and Felix were extraordinarily lucky to get the jobs they have held here. Best of luck to them but they are the latest ANCO/FÁS products of Munster Rugby, who learned their trade at what is arguably still a top club, and not a place for beginners. If FJ feels hard done by in effectively being demoted, considering our attack play on his watch, he needs a reality check.

Comment

Franco Smith is replacing Conor O'Shea at Italy. Would Conor be a good coach for us?
              O Shea staying in Italy
              Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

From on Johnny Holland column RTÉ web site

...”With Felix and Jerry Flannery leaving the province there might be a small bit extra to play for. I don’t feel we are getting the truth surrounding their departure.

If Johann Van Graan is telling the truth about ‘competitive packages’ offered to both coaches then why would they be leaving their home province? Yeah, there would have been coaching personnel added and you can’t argue with it given that Munster are still falling down at the second last hurdle. Something is needed to get them up another 1-2 levels and over that line but I’m not sure the story adds up at the moment.”

Johnny typically chooses his words carefully. Twice we get ‘telling the truth’, and a ‘story doesn’t add up’.

It would be great to get an announcement soon about replacements, hopefully the levels of appointment that will look like a step up from what we’ve had, otherwise hares will run and run.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
                  From on Johnny Holland column RTÉ web site

...”With Felix and Jerry Flannery leaving the province there might be a small bit extra to play for. I don’t feel we are getting the truth surrounding their departure.

If Johann Van Graan is telling the truth about ‘competitive packages’ offered to both coaches then why would they be leaving their home province? Yeah, there would have been coaching personnel added and you can’t argue with it given that Munster are still falling down at the second last hurdle. Something is needed to get them up another 1-2 levels and over that line but I’m not sure the story adds up at the moment.”

Johnny typically chooses his words carefully. Twice we get ‘telling the truth’, and a ‘story doesn’t add up’.

It would be great to get an announcement soon about replacements, hopefully the levels of appointment that will look like a step up from what we’ve had, otherwise hares will run and run.
                  JVG being the boss and the 'winner' in any power struggle if you like, he has the power to determine the narrative. If, as seems likely they left in a sulk, well, that's an attack on JVG and naturally he will spin it as something unreasonable by Fla and FJ. Dems the ways. We have been blunt, very blunt in attack and most good tries have come from quality players seizing an opening. We don't look a threat. Take Connacht for example, with less resources, with ball in hand they continually stretch defenses and look likely. So something is not working.

Comment

Originally posted by mickiemcfist View Post

That's not at all true - I've left 2 superb managers that I miss working with to this day.
                    One because he was happy to stay there for the rest of his career & I wasn't waiting until I was 40 to take his job, the other because I was offered a ridiculous step up in another firm on a multiple of the salary I'd been on previously.
                    In this case it doesn't look like either of them has a new job to go to now does it ........
                    Calm yourself sir.. you\'re going to give yourself skin failure.

Comment

Felix Jones is not a top attack coach. That's the reality. A good coach (or manager), understands the strengths of his team and devises plans to get the best out of them. We have been much less than the sum of our parts in attack. He's had 2 years to get something going and there's been no progress.

Comment

Originally posted by sledger2003 View Post

In this case it doesn't look like either of them has a new job to go to now does it ........
                        How do you know that?

Regardless, if they’re leaving because of JVG’s decision to beef up his team with a more experienced, more senior coach, that doesn’t make him a bad manager. In fact, being prepared to make a tough decision that ruffles feathers is often the sign of a very good one.

Comment

I think Van Graan is an undercover Leinster operative who moved Joey down south, has him conveniently "injured" to sabotage our European chances and then lowball offers our forwards and backs coaches to force them to leave. Mission accomplished!

Click image for larger version

Name:	50583832_703851093345646_9057310151582600130_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	2569618

Comment

Originally posted by isola ciarrai View Post

Hot if unpopulat take - given their relative infancy as coaches, Fla and Felix were extraordinarily lucky to get the jobs they have held here. Best of luck to them but they are the latest ANCO/FÁS products of Munster Rugby, who learned their trade at what is arguably still a top club, and not a place for beginners. If FJ feels hard done by in effectively being demoted, considering our attack play on his watch, he needs a reality check.

Yup. FJ can't have any complaints.

I just hope the Munster organisation learn from this. Don't use the team to train up young coaches. Let them prove themselves first at lower level or abroad.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

How do you know that?

Regardless, if they’re leaving because of JVG’s decision to beef up his team with a more experienced, more senior coach, that doesn’t make him a bad manager. In fact, being prepared to make a tough decision that ruffles feathers is often the sign of a very good one.
                              Nobody knows exactly why they are leaving (except themselves). There are a multitude of possibilities.

Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                              Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

O'Gara on OTB this morning, where the 42 comments came from, effectively said he's looking at a head coach role now, said he had 3/4 offers/conversations in France and possibility of staying with the Crusaders. I can imagine he's waiting on the top job with Munster when the time and environment is right.

Comment

Working...
                                X