Coaching Team

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ROG's views post Saracens loss:

"Players are influenced by the game plan of their coaches. Earls, Sweetnam and Conway look exciting at times, but it’s not there at the moment. Munster don’t go to width. It’s a pressure-focused game and that’s part of Munster DNA. We have always been strong up front but Munster sides in the past have been able to play ball in hand too and I wouldn’t say they were that superior, man-for-man, compared to the current squad.

Johann van Graan recognises now their game doesn’t work when the heat is really on, so even if Munster had to regress a bit for a short time, then so what? It’s not like they don’t have individual quality to maintain their status as a top four club in Europe. But it’s indisputable after seven successive semi-final losses that they need to tweak things like getting their skill levels up and playing at a higher tempo. They were two scores down with time running short last Saturday and decided to box kick.

It’s the perennial nature versus nurture argument. I am out of Ireland seven years now so I can’t accurately compare Munster and working with the Crusaders. A lot of it does come down to natural ability, but repetition is very important here, there’s a big emphasis on passing in every single session. Working the skillset on a daily basis under pressure is crucial for marginal gains"

Comment

ROG very vocal on Munster departures!!!

Comment

It’s clear ROG hasn’t a clue what went on either so it’s just more speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
          Ronan O'Gara in the Examiner this morning:
          I don’t know what type of coaches Felix and Jerry are, but I know one thing — they are good people and they are pretty easy to get along with. There must be some serious fracture if they’ve decided to walk away.
          We are in a spot of bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
            It’s clear ROG hasn’t a clue what went on either so it’s just more speculation.
            I would doubt that.

Comment

See BJ is back in town,....!!!!!
              Article by Nigel Melville - Gloucester Coach

Fingers get burned when the home fire is stoked in Munster. I suggest that any rugby fan who hasn\'t visited Thomond Park should get over there for the next Heineken Cup match. Only by being in Limerick on a big match day can you understand why the place is such a fortress.

Nigel Melville Tuesday January 20 2004 The Guardian

Comment

For a lot of the game in Coventry, Munster relied on one or two out passes with the receiver going into contact. After repeated phases of this, a box kick was the next gambit which way more often than not merely gave the ball back to Sarries.

Sarries started the second half, remember, we kicked the ball back to them and the next Munster player to touch the ball was Tyler at the restart after their try.

There has to be a better way.

A stat that is often quoted is "points per visit to the opponent's 22". A more interesting one, IMO, would be "points per minute inside the opponent's"

Munster seem to me to spend a rake of time picking and going close to the line and when that doesn't work, they pick and go some more.

Granted, they didn't do much of that v Saracens but only because they never got close to the line.

Comment

Have it on good authority (someone I am confident of) that the contracts offered both JF and FJ were improved contracts on what they have had - maybe they felt they deserved better, who knows.
                  I can understand FJ feeling it necessary to go - after all, the criticisms were pretty pointed in the direction of a sterile, cliched attack. Fla is a surprise, as we have improved set piece work.
                  Whatever ROG says, he's out of here a long time - I took more notice of Donal Lenihan in De Paper after the semi final where he spoke of our approach in attack being average at best, and requiring a different approach to progress.
                  JVG is not my dream coach but he inherited both JF and FJ and they have had plenty opportunity to impress. Felt that giving a high profile backs coach job to someone with very little experieence was mad, which did not work out with Dutchie Holland at the time.
                  At this stage, and I believe in common with a lot of supporters, I would like to see available cash spent on top level coaching, to improve what we have here, than necessarily going after a marquee player.
                  Finally, if things were getting toxic in the camp, I doubt that, even IRFU aside, that Joey, Farrell, Beirne would have extended their existing deals, and that Casey would have stayed.

Comment

Originally posted by isola ciarrai View Post
                    Finally, if things were getting toxic in the camp, I doubt that, even IRFU aside, that Joey, Farrell, Beirne would have extended their existing deals, and that Casey would have stayed.
                    This. V.Important. And encouraging.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post

This. V.Important. And encouraging.
                      Or wishful thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by isola ciarrai View Post
                        Have it on good authority (someone I am confident of) that the contracts offered both JF and FJ were improved contracts on what they have had - maybe they felt they deserved better, who knows.
                        I can understand FJ feeling it necessary to go - after all, the criticisms were pretty pointed in the direction of a sterile, cliched attack. Fla is a surprise, as we have improved set piece work.
                        Whatever ROG says, he's out of here a long time - I took more notice of Donal Lenihan in De Paper after the semi final where he spoke of our approach in attack being average at best, and requiring a different approach to progress.
                        JVG is not my dream coach but he inherited both JF and FJ and they have had plenty opportunity to impress. Felt that giving a high profile backs coach job to someone with very little experieence was mad, which did not work out with Dutchie Holland at the time.
                        At this stage, and I believe in common with a lot of supporters, I would like to see available cash spent on top level coaching, to improve what we have here, than necessarily going after a marquee player.
                        This chimes with other reports- realistically you come in as head hocho, you look at how things work, and you decide, if you have that liberty, when you make changes in the support team you inherited. The teams play, Farrellls comment and those of JVG, showed there was widespread recognition that a better/different job needed doing. Nobody, fans like us, players, management is happy we fail to get beyond semi level. That doesn’t mean there’s trouble behind the scenes, but someone- presumably JVG- will have to have decided on a way forward. It’s a reasonable guess that someone coming in to coordinate attack would be above felix and fla. better money aside, some might feel that wasn’t like a demotion, another guy might think hell, I’m doing fine, my role doesn’t need to be diminished, but if that’s what’s happening then I’m off. None of that is implosion, meltdown, etc., JVG got an extended contract, I’d imagine/hope that was on the basis of presenting a compelling case for how particular targets might be achieved, the investment/changes needed etc. Big change doesn’t mean high drama, but it’s fascinating to speculate on who might be appointed, and the implications of that for how we play.

Comment

Originally posted by glorob View Post

Or wishful thinking?
                          They extended their contracts , why is it wishful thinking?

Comment

In my view its good that FJ is on the way out as our attack is so pedestrian in big games, as long as there is an improvement in terms of his replacement, this will be very positive for us and we will see the benefits immediately. im not overly convinced that leinster are that far ahead either, Sexton has been the man for so long but take him out and they look ordinary. We have the future irish out half on our roster which is massive for us, if we get the right attack coach, then we can move up to that final level.

Comment

Or wishful thinking?
                              You seem determined to lay the fault at the feet of JVG or the Munster management but it’s just as likely the lads simply got an enticing opportunity elsewhere and/or didn’t want to work underneath an incoming “senior coach”.

They may even simply have felt that, having given their all and fallen at the semi-final hurdle again, they needed to go away to learn and progress as coaches, that they aren’t the men to take Munster to the next level (yet).

There hasn’t been a whiff of disharmony in the Munster camp all season. The team hasn’t shown even a tiny bit of discontent. Top players have signed contract extensions. ROG’s suggestion of some big “fracture” just doesn’t add up.

Comment

Or wishful thinking?
                                It's positive thinking. Unlike your wishful thinking.

Gets my vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X