Coaching Team

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wellboy View Post
    We just dont have the combination of ballast, ball carriers or handling with our players in the pack lads, regardless of tactics and coaching. How many carriers have we? Killer, Beirne, CJ and maybe O'Donoghue if he starts. Klein, Ryan, Scannell and Pete just dont carry well enough or challenge tacklers with ball in hand. Leinster and Saracens packs are brimming with top class ball carriers with great footwork and handling skills. Look at Leinster, their whole tight five can carry really well.

Im not knocking your theories i just think its fanciful to think that different tactics are all of a sudden going to make good players great and have us beating teams with 6-7 lions in them.
    Sure we might as well give up then!

Comment

We just dont have the combination of ballast, ball carriers or handling with our players in the pack lads, regardless of tactics and coaching. How many carriers have we? Killer, Beirne, CJ and maybe O'Donoghue if he starts. Klein, Ryan, Scannell and Pete just dont carry well enough or challenge tacklers with ball in hand. Leinster and Saracens packs are brimming with top class ball carriers with great footwork and handling skills. Look at Leinster, their whole tight five can carry really well.

Im not knocking your theories i just think its fanciful to think that different tactics are all of a sudden going to make good players great and have us beating teams with 6-7 lions in them.
      Good post and a reality check for many on here. We are a " top 4" team in Europe but the next step up is significant which change of tactics alone will not bridge. With limitation on ball carriers up front we are easy to defend against for top class defenses. Without platform our backs will always struggle as no space being created by moving defensive line backwards up front.

Comment

Originally posted by Redcafe1 View Post

Good post and a reality check for many on here. We are a " top 4" team in Europe but the next step up is significant which change of tactics alone will not bridge. With limitation on ball carriers up front we are easy to defend against for top class defenses. Without platform our backs will always struggle as no space being created by moving defensive line backwards up front.
        Reality check my hole. If we don't have the ball carriers, then why is our gameplan centred around carrying ball?

Comment

Only one team can win the cup every year, just because we are not at finals or winning it doesnt mean we cant enjoy the journey, im loving the fact we have made semi finals 3 years in a row, thats a phenomenal achievement and the two semis i was at were great trips/days out.

We could look to splash out on a world class tighthead, second row and openside and we would be competing with the very best then but do we really want to drop local lads and sacrifice our identity in the process? Even if we could afford it or get it past the IRFU im not sure i would want that...

We can still take Leinster next week btw and go on to win the Pro14, they are not quite there with Saracens and on our day with the right performance and start we can beat them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketchy View Post

Reality check my hole. If we don't have the ball carriers, then why is our gameplan centred around carrying ball?
            Come off the stage Sketchy, just how do you win matches without being able to carry ball?

The best teams all have grizzled packs who are comfortable getting over the gainline with power and footwork as well as having a passing threat.

Comment

Only one team can win the cup every year, just because we are not at finals or winning it doesnt mean we cant enjoy the journey, im loving the fact we have made semi finals 3 years in a row, thats a phenomenal achievement and the two semis i was at were great trips/days out.

We could look to splash out on a world class tighthead, second row and openside and we would be competing with the very best then but do we really want to drop local lads and sacrifice our identity in the process? Even if we could afford it or get it past the IRFU im not sure i would want that...

We can still take Leinster next week btw and go on to win the Pro14, they are not quite there with Saracens and on our day with the right performance and start we can beat them.
              It’s not about winning Europe. It’s about doing your best and maximising your potential. We haven’t fired a shot in 3 semi final. If that’s good enough for you then fair enough. I would agree with your sentiments about enjoying the journey etc, but provided that we had gotten the most out of the squad at our disposal. It’s what the team deserves.

Comment

We do not have the ball carrying quality necessary to compete against the very best - I don't like saying it but it is the truth.

Comment

Come off the stage Sketchy, just how do you win matches without being able to carry ball?

The best teams all have grizzled packs who are comfortable getting over the gainline with power and footwork as well as having a passing threat.
                  I’ll stay on the stage thanks.

Where did I say we wouldn’t carry ball? If you can’t identify our current failings then there’s not much point in continuing.

Comment

It’s not about winning Europe. It’s about doing your best and maximising your potential. We haven’t fired a shot in 3 semi final. If that’s good enough for you then fair enough. I would agree with your sentiments about enjoying the journey etc, but provided that we had gotten the most out of the squad at our disposal. It’s what the team deserves.
                    We are maximising our potential!!!!!!!

None of our tight five are first choice international players yet we have made the semi final of the european cup three years in a row and been beaten by better teams packed full of established internationals and lions players. Come to think of it we only have 4 starting Irish internationals in our 15 with some decent backups.

Each year we have improved in those semi finals and gave it a real lash against Saracens but came up short.

Comment

I’ll stay on the stage thanks.

Where did I say we wouldn’t carry ball? If you can’t identify our current failings then there’s not much point in continuing.
                      Going around in circles here. You asked why our game plan is centred around carrying ball, we are playing rugby here and every team carries the ball. You cant get around it.

We have failings for sure but not all failings can be fixed unfortunately. We dont have perfect players and even with small tweeks in attack and forwards approach it wont magic us a HEC. Our best bet is to hope we can develop some of our players coming through into top international players in the future.

By the way i find it a little insulting the way some posters on here think we have some easy flaws they can see that some of our coaches and players can neither see themselves nor resolve. if the game was that simple that an armchair pundit had the answer surely we would all be out there on the sideline!

Comment

Going around in circles here. You asked why our game plan is centred around carrying ball, we are playing rugby here and every team carries the ball. You cant get around it.

We have failings for sure but not all failings can be fixed unfortunately. We dont have perfect players and even with small tweeks in attack and forwards approach it wont magic us a HEC. Our best bet is to hope we can develop some of our players coming through into top international players in the future.

By the way i find it a little insulting the way some posters on here think we have some easy flaws they can see that some of our coaches and players can neither see themselves nor resolve. if the game was that simple that an armchair pundit had the answer surely we would all be out there on the sideline!
                        I would suggest that you’re the one going around in circles. But that’s just my view.

Why are you exclusively insulted by other posters views? Because you coach? JvG clearly identified issues in our attack. So we’re not alone in our views.

Finally, your explanation about rugby being a ball carrying game is insulting. We’re clearly miles apart in terms of our opinions, so let’s leave it there. Ive made my point and you have too. All the best.

Comment

There's a fair bit of irony in that last sentence. Both the players(Chris Farrell) and the coaches(Van Graan) have literally come out and said Munster attack's needs some work. I've yet to hear any of the coaches and players say that the front-5 is the issue.

Not saying that the front-5's lack of ball carriers is/isn't a issue, simply that it is impossible to tell, given our current game plan. Every time Munster carried the ball, it was a one-out collision, up against 3 Saracens' defenders. Likewise in defense, we had one defender against their 3/4 players, driving behind the ball-carrier. The reason they were outnumbering us at every single collision was because of the respective attacks. Munster's defense had to be more spread-out, as there was always the option of the tip-on pass out the back. On the other side, Saracens' defense were able to group-up and double-team Munster's attackers, as there was never a real danger of Munster going out the back.

Comment

We need to start again at the top.
                            Need a serious manager now ! Someone that can challenge and add to the overall system.

Comment

Originally posted by blade View Post
                              We need to start again at the top.
                              Need a serious manager now ! Someone that can challenge and add to the overall system.
                              Who would you propose and what should they do?

Comment

Ronan O'Gara in the Examiner this morning:
                                I don’t know what type of coaches Felix and Jerry are, but I know one thing — they are good people and they are pretty easy to get along with. There must be some serious fracture if they’ve decided to walk away.
                                Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                X