Coaching Team

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by North Country Spider View Post
    Is it a jvg call though If so its a bit hypocritical because wasn't he saying the lads were staying and one more might arrive?
    They were offered deals, on improved terms according to the IT, so he may have expected, or at least hoped, they’d stay.

We don’t know why they didn’t. New coaches coming in, a better offer from somewhere else (Deccie perhaps?), or maybe they just had enough after another tough season that ended at the semi-final stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

They were offered deals, on improved terms according to the IT, so he may have expected, or at least hoped, they’d stay.

We don’t know why they didn’t.
      I'd guess they were planning an announcement after the Pro14 semi or final but heard that the story was about to break in the media. Hence the shock announcement.

This just up on The Examiner;
      Following the announcement, Munster Rugby Acting CEO Philip Quinn, said that every effort was made to retain the coaching duo "with competitive terms".

Mr Quinn said that they are hugely disappointed but understand their decisions and wished the pair well for the future.

Last edited by rathbaner; 7th-May-2019, 19:31.
      Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Need more info. If no-one comes in soon or is announced soon that suggests they were not pushed. Difficult to see how the ​​​real story​​​​ or close enough to it won't come out.
        ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
        AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Pity Munster didn’t put Fla / Felix in the Academy for a few years. Potentially good coaches but no pathway created for them but Munster. We also need a top class Rugby analyst that has sampled international rugby in another country. My wish list would also have Lenihan in as Manger to get us back in the big time.

Comment

I'm sorry to see the lads go and am grateful to them both for their huge contributions to Munster. I've posted previously that I wanted us to reap the benefits of the time invested in developing them as coaches - instead, now another side or probably two will be the ones to gain from our loss, so disappointingly this won't be happening after all.

And now that it won't be happening, I really hope we can target and secure coaches with a clear track record of success at a high level - i.e. coaches more than just a year or two into their new careers after retiring as players. This means that despite my great admiration for Paulie as a player and as a leader, I won't be adding my voice to any chorus calling for him to join us in any sort of coaching role right now. In another three or even five years, once he's had the chance to show he has what it takes, that would be entirely different, but not at this stage. ROG would be a very different proposition, but of course he's just signed a three-year deal in La Rochelle.

I see both sides of the discussion about Howley - we absolutely should be aiming for someone of his stature, but I also accept the point others have made about his style of attack being somewhat blunter than that of other coaches who operate at the same level as him. But it's good to have that calibre of candidate in the frame nonetheless.
            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Just say Howley comes in, POC comes in, or whoever, where would that put Jones and Fla in terms of say in terms of tactics etc, they were clearly taking a step down the ladder and are ambitious in their careers and said thanks but no thanks, wouldn’t read too much into it in terms of harmony etc. it’s normal for coaches to have differences of opinion on game plans etc Van Grann has every right to choose his coaching staff and wants/needs more experience around him

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
                Best of luck to the two lads.

Interesting that they are both off. Perhaps there was a view that we have also been underperforming in areas beyond the backs?
                I think people should note that attack coach doesn’t just relate to the backs, the attack coach will also direct how the forwards attack, in addition to our overall attacking shape and patterns. Even kicking is part of our attack.

Fair to say everyone has had enough of one out runners repeated ad naseum, no deception, no offloads, lack of variety in our game. Our attack has been brutal and frankly we are well off the pace of the very top clubs in Europe. That’s not to say it can’t be fixed, a few subtle changes like ball in 2 hands, turning to your support and passing, tip ons (ala Ulster this season) will open up a lot more space and holes. We should emulate the scarlets 2017 side who constantly looked for doglegs and then they were gone (even if the guy making the break into space got tackled it’d be a desperation tackle and he’d offload to one of two support runners) we truck it up into a connected flat wall of defenders and then give CJ stick when he doesn’t make ground when getting tackled by 2 forwards.

Will the real Ronan John Ross O’Gara please stand up?! Having said that Howley would be great, this is the standard we need, Leinster got McBryde recently so that’s enough said never mind Lancaster. For the forwards, as much as I love Poc it would be a risky move but I guess if anyone can step up and inspire its him.
                Last edited by Talking Sense; 7th-May-2019, 23:41.
                \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

POC has kinda failed at two coaching roles which is weird with his knowledge and experience.
                  Would he be a better Manager ?

Comment

We need to, as a rule stop taking former players as coaches unless they have spent enough time elsewhere and learned a bit elsewhere, proven themselves elsewhere also. The temptation is probably financial but Felix is the second coach who has not been a success after coming in directly from being a player.

Comment

Originally posted by blade View Post
                      POC has kinda failed at two coaching roles which is weird with his knowledge and experience.
                      Would he be a better Manager ?
                      Not weird at all. There's plenty of examples of great players across many sports who fail as coaches. It's a totally different skill set.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

Not weird at all. There's plenty of examples of great players across many sports who fail as coaches. It's a totally different skill set.
                        It’s especially so for guys who were massively driven as players. It does mean POC won’t succeed, but right now it’s not what we need. I’m tempted to think ROG isn’t either, although he’s certainly someone I’d love to see back at some stage.

Comment

Alas, it's hard not to look into the summer and think we are back to square one again. Earlsy has yet another coaching ticket to look forward to preseason with.

​​​​​Hope to Christ we finally see a bit of stability soon, we seem to have had more coaches than JJ Kavanagh
                          I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                            Alas, it's hard not to look into the summer and think we are back to square one again. Earlsy has yet another coaching ticket to look forward to preseason with.

​​​​​Hope to Christ we finally see a bit of stability soon, we seem to have had more coaches than JJ Kavanagh
                            G’wan JJ
                            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Dear oh dear
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-05-07 at 21.57.36.png
Views:	142
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	2568758
                              Attached Files
                              Has Fineen put Johnny down yet?

Comment

Chapeau sir
                                When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Working...
                                X