Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scarlets V Munster Saturday 2nd March 17.00 eir sport 1, Premier Sports, S4C, TG4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sea Horse View Post

I hadn't thought of that. Leinster are so far ahead in their conference that they may not feel the need to field a full-strength team a week before a European Semi-final (I'm assuming Leinster will be in the semi-final).
    Like a lot of posters here, I think I had that match down as a probable Glasgow loss. Now I'm much less sure of that.
    Leinster need 3 points out of last 5 games to guarantee topping the group or else treviso to drop 3 points in the last 5 games.

Likely after the game against the cheetahs this weekend to have it wrapped up.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
      Leinster need 3 points out of last 5 games to guarantee topping the group or else treviso to drop 3 points in the last 5 games.

Likely after the game against the cheetahs this weekend to have it wrapped up.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
      And that’s some achievement- my impression is that they’ve also had no better luck than us on injuries- but 20plus point ahead of their group, just 2 losses and bonus points in three quarters of all of their games- I hope they keep this up until April.

Comment

Obey.....obey...
        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Horse View Post

I hadn't thought of that. Leinster are so far ahead in their conference that they may not feel the need to field a full-strength team a week before a European Semi-final (I'm assuming Leinster will be in the semi-final).
          Like a lot of posters here, I think I had that match down as a probable Glasgow loss. Now I'm much less sure of that.
          I made the point on another thread that there's no 'soft' match against Leinster.

Firstly, we all like to have a good 'ding dong' of a match just ahead of a European Cup match to get players ready for European level, we used to have Leinster the week before the Heineken Cup back in the day.

Secondly, even if Leinster rest front line players including those players coming back from Ireland duty, the young tyros that they pick will be dying for a chance to show the world what they can do. They don't often get the chance to start and when they do they will give it their all if they ever want to wear that shirt again.

I could see them wrapping certain players in cotton wool all right, but no more than that.

Comment

Assuming Glasgow are out of Europe by then they will play their 1st team, something they have seldom pulled together this season.

I suspect this might be too strong a team against a second string, even if is Leinster's.

So it might come down to last game of season when they play Edinburgh, who seem to have the hex on them.

it could be vety tight at the top of the table on Sunday if they get 5 PTS in Italy and Scarlets will be an increably tough game

Comment

A win away to the Scarlets would be great. It'll be a very tough ask though.
              Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
              Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Boss_cat2 View Post
                Assuming Glasgow are out of Europe by then they will play their 1st team, something they have seldom pulled together this season.

I suspect this might be too strong a team against a second string, even if is Leinster's.

So it might come down to last game of season when they play Edinburgh, who seem to have the hex on them.

it could be vety tight at the top of the table on Sunday if they get 5 PTS in Italy and Scarlets will be an increably tough game

It's tough at the top but the air is lovely and fresh up here!

Comment

How many games do we play in the normal league situation.. sorry couldn´t be arsed googling...
                  Then is it semi final and the final?
                  or the french system of everyone gets chance at a medal lads...
                  He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
                    A win away to the Scarlets would be great. It'll be a very tough ask though.
                    CJ Stander and Tadhg Beirne with the Irish squad in Belfast this morning according to Sinéad Kissane.
                    "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                    Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
                      How many games do we play in the normal league situation.. sorry couldn´t be arsed googling...
                      Then is it semi final and the final?
                      or the french system of everyone gets chance at a medal lads...
                      21 regular games in Pro14 followed by knockouts. Knockout rounds have 2 x semi-final qualifiers followed by 2 semi finals and then the final. Teams that finish top of their conference get through automatically to the semi final, whereas teams coming 2nd and 3rd play in the semi final qualifiers to get to the semi-final.

"There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post

CJ Stander and Tadhg Beirne with the Irish squad in Belfast this morning according to Sinéad Kissane.
                        I expect of our internationals only Rory Scannell, John Ryan, Darren Sweetnam and Billy to be available to start. Very thread bare for this one unfortunately. Big test of the squad.

Comment

Update: wrong team posted initially:

Munster: Mike Haley; Ronan O’Mahony, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Darren Sweetnam; Bill Johnston, Alby Mathewson; Jeremy Loughman, Rhys Marshall, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland (C); Fineen Wycherley, Conor Oliver, Arno Botha.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Liam O’Connor, Stephen Archer, Darren O’Shea, Jack O’Donoghue, Neil Cronin, Tyler Bleyendaal, Jaco Taute
                          Last edited by Waterfordlad; 1st-March-2019, 11:53.

Comment

Rory set to become the youngest player to reach 100 caps for Munster

Comment

Scarlets team announced:

Kieron Fonotia will lead the Scarlets for the first time when they face Munster at Parc y Scarlets on Saturday (5pm kick-off).

The Samoa international centre takes over the captaincy from Jake Ball and skippers a side showing just one change from the side that saw off Toyota Cheetahs 43-21 in Llanelli last Sunday.

Five of Wales’ Six Nations squad members - Leigh Halfpenny, Wyn Jones, Ryan Elias, Rhys Patchell and Steff Evans - are included in Wayne Pivac’s match-day 23. With Ball retained by Wales, Lewis Rawlins comes into the second row to partner Josh Helps.

Patchell and Evans are named among the replacements.

With five matches remaining in the regular Guinness PRO14 season, the Scarlets sit fifth in the Conference B standings, but just five points separate second from fifth.

Scarlets head coach Wayne Pivac

“We were pleased to get the five points against the Cheetahs last weekend. The start was everything we had hoped for and to score four tries inside 20 minutes was perfect for us.

“We probably got a bit ahead of ourselves after that, but the bonus-point win keeps us right in the play-off race.

“We all know that Munster are going to be a very different proposition this evening. They will bring a lot aggression in defence, a lot more line-speed as a lot of northern hemisphere teams are doing. That poses a different challenge, we need to be on our game and are expecting more of an arm wrestle.

“You look at the table with five games to go and it looks like being a real dogfight, potentially I can see it going down to the last weekend.”

SCARLETS v Munster (Saturday, March 2, 2019; Parc y Scarlets, 5pm kick-off)

15 Leigh Halfpenny; 14 Ioan Nicholas, 13 Kieron Fonotia © , 12 Paul Asquith, 11 Johnny McNicholl; 10 Dan Jones, 9 Kieran Hardy; 1 Wyn Jones, 2 Ryan Elias, 3 Werner Kruger, 4 Josh Helps, 5 Lewis Rawlins, 6 Josh Macleod, 7 Dan Davis, 8 Uzair Cassiem.

Replacements: 16 Marc Jones, 17 Phil Price, 18 Javan Sebastian, 19 Tom Price, 20 Will Boyde, 21 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, 22 Rhys Patchell, 23 Steff Evans

Comment

Fairly strong team with the internationals away. I was expecting John Ryan as Ciaran Parker picked up an injury, Good opportunity for Bill Johnston and ROM. I imagine Tadhg would like to have played (he mentioned it in his MOM interview last week) and while JK being back may be the main reason, hopefully this is a good sign for Tadhg playing in the France game

Comment

Working...
                                X