Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scarlets V Munster Saturday 2nd March 17.00 eir sport 1, Premier Sports, S4C, TG4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
    Before the game, I posted that I had a level of disquiet about a few players who either needed to improve on their recent showings or overcome a certain amount of ring-rustiness thanks to long-term absence or limited playing opportunities. Turned out that they weren't the only ones to be concerned about, as a number of our starting pack didn't meet the high standards we can usually expect of them, including Marshall, Ryan, Holland and Kleyn. Loughman works hard, but just isn't in the same league as either of Kilcoyne or Cronin and I expect LOC to overtake him soon enough. Wycherley was great though, in fact I've yet to see him have a bad game. But I'm particularly disappointed in Botha, who has (literally!) dropped the ball too often over the past couple of months. Oliver essentially confirmed for me that he isn't a front-runner for a starting jersey when our other options at 7 are fit & available, and in the short term I would expect JOD to start ahead of him if Cloete still isn't available, even though Jack generally seems more comfortable at 6 or 8. (Speaking of whom, is anyone else starting to find the amount of time Cloete is having to take out with concussion issues a bit worrying?)

As I said yesterday though, I think the biggest issue is about our gameplan and it's not just about yesterday's performance. Too often, we look devoid of ideas, incapable of coming up with a second approach when the first approach doesn't bear fruit, whether it's failing to score against a Scarlets side with one thought - defend! - or making heavy weather of scraping past the worst Ospreys side to bear the name since they were brought into existence (the same side against whom Connacht managed to score nearly 50 points yesterday). Our upcoming games against Cardiff, Treviso and Connacht see us facing opponents whose form is improving as we stagnate. We can't just rely on flogging the same five or six international players simply to stumble our way to the end of the league - yesterday was a game we could and should have won with the personnel we fielded, but our inability to deal with any side which meets us on the gainline has been an ongoing issue for far too long.

A word on Bill Johnston - one of the niggling concerns I've had at the back of my mind about him is the thought that he may not be all that robust and that after having endured some serious injury issues, he might just be a bit too fragile for top level rugby. Yesterday went a long way towards dispelling those thoughts - the guy is starting to look positively tank-like and is not afraid to take heavy contact from the biggest lads the opposition can throw at him. Moreover, I think he will soon leapfrog JJ in the OH pecking order and end up pushing Tyler in the coming season. The season after that, who knows?
    Great post, I've said it before, we have a serious issue behind the scrum. We cannot do basic things like pass a ball correctly not to mind execute a back line move without dropped passes, balls being thrown to feet, behind or above the receiving players head and this hasn't been an issue that begun today nor yesterday. We have a musical chairs policy at 9 & 10 which doesn't help either. We rely too much on individual pieces of play or skill to give us any kind of penetration behind and when these players are away we look ordinary at best and poor the majority of the time. The Scarlets had one decent chance yesterday they executed it skillfully and that singular move was the winning of the match. We owned the ball for vast swathes of the game yesterday and all we did was flounder. Our coaches have to take responsibility for a lot of this and it needs to be addressed. We are just meandering our way to an inevitable repeat of the last couple of seasons.

Comment

Yeah, Farrell definitely makes a difference to our attack when he's available, but of course between injury and Camp Joe you can count the number of games he's played for us this season on one hand. He's about the only one we have who falls under the "locksmith" heading (what a perfect way to describe what we need!) - while I have a lot of time for Rory, he just doesn't provide that for us often enough. It may be too early to tell whether Goggin can deliver that for us, but at this stage he seems more of a big lad who collides with the opposition than someone with a nifty step and knack for offloading out of contact. If he can develop into a Stuart McCloskey-type player, it will make us much sharper in attack.
      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

We could do worse than watch the performance of the Ulster pack - down to 13 men against Dragons, patience and control and patience and control and a bit more patience and control saw them go through the phases to work their way from outside the Dragons' 22 to score their bonus point try.
        Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

All that has happened is that we now need someone else to do us a favour- like Leinster, for instance. We were the only team trying to attack in that game, and Scarlett’s defended like demons, took every opportunity to slow the game, but we should still have won. Hurried too much, and lost control of the ball far too often in the danger area. Very disappointing, but six weeks ago we’d have been happy coming in to the last four games in this position.
          Have said this ad nauseum these past few years but we have lost the capacity/gift for patience - and I believe there is a coaching issue. Any team with the amount of ball we had in Llanelli would have won - Connacht, Leinster etc. Think that we do not have the required attack ability in Van Graan and Jones. Not piling onto Felix Jones but surely we learned something from promoting Dutchy before his time? Like Dutchy, Felix may make a good attack coach, but Munster should not be the rugby equivalent of ANCO for raw beginners.
          It drives me crazy to go to TP after 5 years since RP and find players still in large part taking the ball standing - just look at what Pat Lam and Andy Friend have done with an arguably less talented bunch of players.
          Last edited by isola ciarrai; 3rd-March-2019, 19:20.

Comment

Originally posted by isola ciarrai View Post

Have said this ad nauseum these past few years but we have lost the capacity/gift for patience - and I believe there is a coaching issue. Any team with the amount of ball we had in Llanelli would have won - Connacht, Leinster etc. Think that we do not have the required attack ability in Van Graan and Jones. Not piling onto Felix Jones but surely we learned something from promoting Dutchy before his time? Like Dutchy, Felix may make a good attack coach, but Munster should not be the rugby equivalent of ANCO for raw beginners.
            It drives me crazy to go to TP after 5 years since RP and find players still in large part taking the ball standing - just look at what Pat Lam and Andy Friend have done with an arguably less talented bunch of players.
            Let’s not forget the amount of ball we had v Exeter away and Leinster away. Yet we didn’t win. We have problems. Massive problems and we are masking it by our league position and our lucky quarter final drawing

Comment

Just while some people are mentioning handling and our attack, this was what the weather really looked like.
              https://twitter.com/threeredkings/st...114301442?s=21
              You can never really tell how bad the weather is on tv, there have been so many times when I’ve come home from matches in awful weather and you can’t see it on tv. Don’t get me wrong, we were poor executing but in a night like that sometimes you’re better off without the ball. It doesn’t excuse the poor decision making and poor options but it’s a bit mad to expect better handling in a night like that.
              The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stringer9 View Post
                Just while some people are mentioning handling and our attack, this was what the weather really looked like.
                https://twitter.com/threeredkings/st...114301442?s=21
                You can never really tell how bad the weather is on tv, there have been so many times when I’ve come home from matches in awful weather and you can’t see it on tv. Don’t get me wrong, we were poor executing but in a night like that sometimes you’re better off without the ball. It doesn’t excuse the poor decision making and poor options but it’s a bit mad to expect better handling in a night like that.
                Thanks for posting this- only very occasionally did it look like that on TV- generally shots against the flood lights. I recall a HCUP game against Scarlets a good few years ago when it sheeted down throughout the game. Never thought I’d ever dry out.

Comment

I was there that night.

Marcus got a try after about 40 phases.

ROG was Captain and the Ref, Mr Barnes if I'm not mistaken, asked him about abandoning. ROG asked him how much was gone and when Barnes told him there was less than a hour gone said No Way.

(If a match is abandoned with less than an hour gone, there must be a replay within 48 hours, an hour or more gone and the score becomes the result.)

Shortly after this, the two Munster wingers were given an additional layer during a break in play.

Brian Kearney was one, I can't remember the other. Ian Dowling, maybe.

Comment

That was the game with the famous 33 phases, around early 2006 I think (Axel was still playing and I think it was during the season we first won the HEC). Barnes had to pause the game for a bit because the sleet/hail was so fierce that he couldn't actually see what was going on. It was during that pause that he asked ROG whether or not he wanted to abandon the fixture, IIRC.
                    Am I right in thinking the laws were changed to prevent sealing off largely as a result of that game?
                    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

I'm nearly certain it was in December '07, so it would have been the second time we won it .

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                        I'm nearly certain it was in December '07, so it would have been the second time we won it .
                        Correct, it was 8th Dec 2007. The coldest and wettest I ever was (apart from Wasps and then Australia in Thomond)

Click image for larger version

Name:	9C557588-AB87-4C2D-BECD-EEA8FA93C552.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	2561135
                        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Some game, great memories.
                          Last edited by Stringer9; 3rd-March-2019, 23:38.
                          The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Biggest issue for Munster out of this game apart from the potential loss of the funds from a home semi final is that you can't afford to rest players away to treviso and also will have the extra 2nd v 3rd game the weekend before the European semi final I believe

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
                              Biggest issue for Munster out of this game apart from the potential loss of the funds from a home semi final is that you can't afford to rest players away to treviso and also will have the extra 2nd v 3rd game the weekend before the European semi final I believe

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
                              Always the cheerful chappie
                              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                                That was the game with the famous 33 phases, around early 2006 I think (Axel was still playing and I think it was during the season we first won the HEC). Barnes had to pause the game for a bit because the sleet/hail was so fierce that he couldn't actually see what was going on. It was during that pause that he asked ROG whether or not he wanted to abandon the fixture, IIRC.
                                Am I right in thinking the laws were changed to prevent sealing off largely as a result of that game?
                                It was after we won our second- but that night they weren’t sealing off- just trying to shelter from the bloody weather. Happy soggy memories.

Comment

Working...
                                X