MATCH THREAD: HCC Q/F Edinburgh v Munster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigLad View Post

Absolutely. Some people on here think they are members of the Munster backroom team and that all posts should be pc and overly respectful to the opposition. like it’s an interview for the media. There was a forum option on Munster official site up to 2oo6 but was shut down because people supposedly had opinions or home truths that the players didn’t like.

And it was a brain dead decision to take a scrum with no dominance there. Our line has 93 percent success rate. That’s the way to go. Every pundit from Williams to Horgan to doc said the same. We were very lucky
    Chill out, man. There's a really good chance we'll lose against Sarries cause we're so crap. So hang on in there, dreams do come true.

​​​​​​
    Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

There is huge credit due to Tyler. He has had very little game time and he came in and performed superbly.

His penalties to touch were inch perfect and gained maximum territory. His conversion was vital as it changed how we could defend. His awareness to take Marshall's overthrow was crucial for our decisive try.

Billy was excellent too, as usual. We have a way stronger panel this year and our defence is the best in the HC IMO.

I also loved JVG' s post match comments - he has totally bought into the Munster Ethos. We got lucky with that appointment.

Comment

Exeter and Cockerill's Embra play aareally similar type game and we've come out on top backing our defence.

Sarries though are a different bag of hammers and yesterday's game against Glasgow is not for the squeamish. They just ran over Glasgow and then ran through them.

On the upside it reminded me of Munster's QF against Ospreys in 2009 when we were unbeatable. Then lost in the semi against Leinster.

Sarries are beatable but Jesus, it'd be close to our greatest ever wins.
        Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

While no one thought Edinburgh would be ospreyed 09 style I was surprised the amount of pocession and terriority they had. Pom seemed to think so too post interview saying that they played all the rugby.

The positive for me is that we were clinical turning visits to the 22 in to points. There was no grunt and groan and 56 recycles like the scarlets game. We made yards with ball in hand and it took illegalities from Edinburgh to keep us out early second half.

Ref had a shocker. Hopefully don’t get him again. Two blatant forward passes for Edinburgh’s 10 points and pygos should have been binned as well as nel on the line. Beirne got carded for cynical play on the 10 meter line so I don’t understand how the other 2 were not carded.

Comment

It'll more than like be Nigel or one of the French lads reffing for the semi. I fear for us under Nigel. He allowed Sarries free reign at ruck time yesterday. They were horrific in their ability to peel Glasgow lads off the ball, legally or not, creating quick ball for fun. A French ref who really doesn't like the idea of Brexit who pulls Sarries up everytime they throw two lads past the ball and keeps them honest at the ruck and we'll push them close.
            Hibernicis natione, Mumhan per gratiam Dei

Comment

Originally posted by huron View Post
              It'll more than like be Nigel or one of the French lads reffing for the semi. I fear for us under Nigel. He allowed Sarries free reign at ruck time yesterday. They were horrific in their ability to peel Glasgow lads off the ball, legally or not, creating quick ball for fun. A French ref who really doesn't like the idea of Brexit who pulls Sarries up everytime they throw two lads past the ball and keeps them honest at the ruck and we'll push them close.
              Fairly sure we already know it is Garces.

Comment

How does he feel about Brexit?
                Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

I’m not sure it’s quite that black and white.
                  It most definitely wasn’t, but it didn’t help, we are better than Edinburgh by a bit more but were lucky to win and a performance like that in a semi final and Sarries will put 50 points on us.

Comment

Originally posted by The Yak View Post
                    There is huge credit due to Tyler. He has had very little game time and he came in and performed superbly.

His penalties to touch were inch perfect and gained maximum territory. His conversion was vital as it changed how we could defend. His awareness to take Marshall's overthrow was crucial for our decisive try.

Billy was excellent too, as usual. We have a way stronger panel this year and our defence is the best in the HC IMO.

I also loved JVG' s post match comments - he has totally bought into the Munster Ethos. We got lucky with that appointment.
                    Have to concur about Tyler. That performance was right up there with his best ones for us and it looks like he's returning to top form at exactly the right time.

On another note - folks, I know there are one or two eejits who only ever come on here to slag players off and that's one thing, but as we all know it's possible to go through a lot of highs and lows over the course of a game. Sitting in the stand, at the time it happened I thought the decision to go for the scrum was brave and a statement of confidence. I didn't think it was stupid, but in hindsight it wasn't the best decision we made on the day. That's the great thing about hindsight of course - it's easy for me to be wise after the fact. The truth is that for a good chunk of the time I thought they had the beating of us and I spent a fair amount of the game in a state of frenzied anxiety before ending up in a state of relieved euphoria. That doesn't make me a "bad supporter", just ... highly involved. Others are probably in the same boat, so lets cool the jets a little. Enjoying the win doesn't mean you think our performances are beyond criticism, and criticising aspects of our performances doesn't mean you don't enjoy the win.
                    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                      Sarries beat us handy enough two years ago. I'm not so sure we'll have improved enough to beat them this time.
                      I think we have. We haven't improved enough to be considered the better side, but we've certainly improved enough to mean we shouldn't dominated in the same manner and so give ourselves a punches chance.

We had been running on emotion for 6 months before that game too. Very different scenario coming into this, where we've been underwhelming all year but doing enough to win. This is the first game this year we'll be solid underdogs, so I'd expect a proper die with the boots on showing.

We'll need a proper spark of x factor to turn a massive performance into a win though.
                      "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

I’m not sure it’s quite that black and white.
                        They're definitely black and white man. I've seen them on safari.

Comment

Originally posted by raith rover View Post
                          Bloody Munster ! Will that ' never say die ' spirit ever run out ? Great match. Well played and good luck in the Semi.
                          We'll be back !!
                          Cheers RR. Your lads made a serious game of it and for a while I wasn't sure we had enough to get past ye. You supported your team well and made plenty of noise in good spirits. Edinburgh are on a steady upward curve and have become a real force to be reckoned with.
                          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by hellovating View Post

They're definitely black and white man. I've seen them on safari.
                            Are you still drinking?!
                            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Dinners was very critical of Embro passing up early penalties. I'm surprised Cockers hadn't told them to take their points. Strange.

I'm not sure Kleyn recovered fully from the head injury injury ?

I'd have started Sweets, even if Haley was ok. Big call for semi.

We know what to expect v Carries. We'll be massive underdogs and we'll do a number on 'em

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post

Are you still drinking?!
                                Some mentions black and white in reference to a zebre game and were supposed to ignore it....

Comment

Working...
                                X