'Home Country' semi-final venue.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Home Country' semi-final venue.

As we are now heading into the less emotionally draining game time of year I would like to raise the issue of ‘Home Country Venue’ for discussion/debate. I think that it is an opportune time to discuss this as the situation is very unclear as to what our options are should we qualify for a ‘home’ semi-final, this year (unlikely but possible) or future years. We seem to be reconciled to the fact that any semi-final must be player in Dublin (Aviva). However, should we not be trying to ensure that if/when we qualify for a home Country semi-final that it should be played in Munster?
    Probably, the only suitable venue is Páirc Uí Chaoimh. This being the case should Munster Rugby be discussing/in negotiation with the GAA & EPCR?
    I don’t know if it’s possible to achieve this but wouldn’t it be brilliant for Munster fans not to have to travel to Dublin and an excellent financial windfall for Cork GAA & the local commercial interests?
    I am raising this now as to wait until the Q-Finals are over would make it impossible to achieve in the short time frame before the semi-finals.

I hear there's a fine stadium down in Killarney that'd do the job. We'd pack out the Market's field too sure. :-)

In all seriousness though, this argument comes up every year, with the same outcome. It'll only EVER be Landsdowne. It'll never be anywhere else.
    Hibernicis natione, Mumhan per gratiam Dei

Comment

Would be brilliant in pairc ui chaoimh
      But I think IRFU would be the biggest obstacle as Co owners of the Aviva and de facto owners of munster (debt)
      A big show of public support would be needed

Comment

Is Warwick eligible for Ireland yet?

Comment

If Munster were to propose taking on the loss of revenue the IRFU would have by not having it in Lansdowne I’m sure it would be no problem. Don’t know if the acoustics would be as good at Pairc ui Chaoimh but defo better for lads having a few pints.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
            Is Warwick eligible for Ireland yet?
            No but Mafi is
            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

"If Munster were to propose taking on the loss of revenue the IRFU would have by not having it in Lansdowne I’m sure it would be no problem. Don’t know if the acoustics would be as good at Pairc ui Chaoimh but defo better for lads having a few pints".

But does there have to be a loss in revenue, surely that depends on ticket prices - capacity Aviva - 51,700, capacity Páirc Uí Chaoimh - 45,000 or 10% less, so a 10% price hike would generate the same income. But the real issue here is who has the rights/control over a Munster 'Home Country Venue' - is it the EPCR, IRFU or Munster Rugby?

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post

No but Mafi is
                Can he call lineouts ?

Comment

New rules relating to home semi finals now, right..
                  The lower seed in the semi final, gets the home draw. Munster are what 5th seed?

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3 using Tapatalk

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Soda Bread View Post
                    "If Munster were to propose taking on the loss of revenue the IRFU would have by not having it in Lansdowne I’m sure it would be no problem. Don’t know if the acoustics would be as good at Pairc ui Chaoimh but defo better for lads having a few pints".

But does there have to be a loss in revenue, surely that depends on ticket prices - capacity Aviva - 51,700, capacity Páirc Uí Chaoimh - 45,000 or 10% less, so a 10% price hike would generate the same income. But the real issue here is who has the rights/control over a Munster 'Home Country Venue' - is it the EPCR, IRFU or Munster Rugby?
                    You need to factor in that IRFU own Lansdowne Road so get full return on it. They would have to pay GAA for Páirc Uí Chaoimh making it a much less lucrative option.

Don't get me wrong, I’d love to see it happen
                    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

As I understand it, it's the EPCR, whose board made up of representatives from each of the 6 nations' unions including the IRFU. I think that barring two Irish teams being scheduled to play separate (i.e. not against one another) home semi-finals at the same time, the IRFU representatives would be highly unlikely to support the idea of holding a semi-final anywhere other than Lansdowne Road (i.e. their own stadium), and I can't think of any reason the rest of the board would go against their wishes. While it would be nice to hold any potential home semi-final in Munster, I can't ever see it happening unless Thomond Park's capacity was increased to above 30000.
                      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

"You need to factor in that IRFU own Lansdowne Road so get full return on it. They would have to pay GAA for Páirc Uí Chaoimh making it a much less lucrative option.

Don't get me wrong, I’d love to see it happen"

Agree, the total financial 'package' would have to be reviewed but you can't put a price on the intangible benefits - what an occasion it would be for Munster sports fans not to mention the improved chances of getting to a final if we were playing 'anyone' in Cork (including Leinster in the future)

Comment

The IRFU own half Lansdowne so any money paid to the GAA fir Pairc ui Chaoimh would have to be recovered I’m guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
                            New rules relating to home semi finals now, right..
                            The lower seed in the semi final, gets the home draw. Munster are what 5th seed?

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3 using Tapatalk
                            No, the higher seed gets home country advantage.

Comment

The PUC is an argument for future years (current rules mean it won't be available in any case) but one worth having seeing as there's a massive new stadium that needs big games to help pay it off sitting down in Cork.

There's two ways of looking at the money side of the thing. One is a basic accounting view - it doesn't make sense to give the GAA money when the IRFU have a better ground in Dublin it can use for free.

However, there's a promotional value view to it aswell. A Munster Heineken semi final in Cork would be perhaps the best Munster rugby experience on Irish soil since the Leinster game in 2006/ABs in 2008. It would be amazing for the game in Cork, and a much better fillup for the game in the province than yet another rugby game up in Dublin.

There's also an element of Irish rugby giving something back to a city which has given a lot to Munster and Irish rugby while not getting a great deal in return.
                              "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Working...
                              X