X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piquet
    started a topic Disappointlingly Straightforward

Disappointlingly Straightforward

It’s disappointingly straightforward from here. The only complications will be in the race for second place of which more later on in the week.

For the first time that this writer can remember, exactly half of the teams are out, two teams in each Pool. Ten into eight won’t go, of course, so there will be sorting out to do next weekend. Three Pools (two, four and five) have deciding matches with the losers there possibly missing out, given that the second placed teams in the other two pools are playing a team who are out. This year’s “second place threshold” to coin a phrase could be the highest in years.

To recap, when two teams finish on equal points, the first tie-breaker is the Match Points in the two games between the teams. Next is Points Difference in the two games and then Tries in the two games. If that doesn’t split the teams or if they haven’t met, then the order is:
    • Overall Points Difference
    • Overall Tries Scored
    • Players Suspended
    • Lots
    As things stand, Leinster and Racing have won their Head to Heads. Munster v Exeter is level, and Saracens lead Glasgow 4-0, 13-3 and one try to none. The Edinburgh – Montpellier Head to Head is of no significance, Montpellier lead but need to win again to catch Edinburgh.
    Pool One P W D L F A PD TF TA TB LB PTS Rank
    1 Leinster 5 4 0 1 157 69 98 23 7 3 1 20 3
    2 Toulouse 5 4 0 1 129 119 10 14 14 1 0 17 8
    3 Bath 5 1 1 3 98 132 -34 12 17 1 2 9
    4 Wasps 5 0 1 4 97 171 -74 10 22 1 1 4

Fixtures: Sunday 20th 15:15 Wasps v Leinster; Toulouse v Bath

Leinster did exactly what they had to do by winning the game and the Head to Head and now any win in Coventry wins them the Pool on 24 points at least and gets them a home Quarter Final, unless Edinburgh get a fiver and win by 37 points more than Leinster do. If they win by 36, they would need to outscore Leinster by nine tries. Neither team have had a player suspended so if Edinburgh were to get eight Tries more than Leinster do, it would go to Lots as things stand. Two points of any description will be enough to win the Pool. 20 Points would be enough to set one of the second place spots as long as Edinburgh beat or draw with Montpellier or don’t get any points.

Toulouse, having lost the Head to Head, need to overtake Leinster’s points total to win the Pool. They need four points more than Leinster, a Fiver with Leinster only getting a Losing or a Try Bonus or a non-Bonus win with Leinster getting nowt is necessary.
    Pool Two P W D L F A PD TF TA TB LB PTS Rank
    1 Munster 5 3 1 1 129 65 64 14 8 2 1 17 5
    2 Exeter 5 2 1 2 117 95 22 17 11 2 1 13 10
    3 Castres 5 2 0 3 73 120 -47 7 13 0 1 9
    4 Gloucester 5 2 0 3 100 139 -39 12 18 0 0 8
    Next Fixtures Saturday 17:30 Munster v Exeter; Castres v Gloucester

Any result in Thomond except 4-0, 5-1 or 5-0 to Exeter wins Munster the Pool.
    Pool Three P W D L F A PD TF TA TB LB PTS Rank
    1 Saracens 5 5 0 0 147 62 85 18 7 3 0 23 1
    2 Glasgow 5 4 0 1 128 81 47 16 11 3 0 19 6
    3 Cardiff 5 1 0 4 105 160 -55 14 20 1 0 5
    4 Lyon 5 0 0 5 73 150 -73 8 18 0 0 0
    Next Fixtures Saturday 13:00 Saracens v Glasgow; Cardiff v Lyon

Any result in Hendon except 5-0 to Glasgow or 5-1 or 4-0 and a winning margin of eleven or more or a win by ten and scoring two more tries will win Saracens the Pool. If Glasgow win 5-1 or 4-0 by ten points, scoring one more try than Saracens do, it will go to players suspended. Glasgow have a 1-0 advantage there.

23 points will be more than enough to get a second place spot should the need arise. Saracens, therefore are in the Quarter Finals at time of writing.
    Pool Four P W D L F A PD TF TA TB LB PTS Rank
    1 Racing 5 4 0 1 150 88 62 20 12 4 1 21 2
    2 Ulster 5 4 0 1 117 115 2 16 15 2 0 18 7
    3 Llanelli 5 1 0 4 112 124 -12 15 17 1 2 7
    4 Leicester 5 1 0 4 102 154 -52 13 20 2 0 6
    Next fixtures Saturday 15:15 Racing v Llanelli; Leicester v Ulster.

Having won the Head to Head, Racing need two points to win the Pool. 21 Points would be enough for a Second place spot unless Edinburgh v Montpellier goes 2-5 in which case it will go to Points Difference between Racing and Edinburgh which is level at the moment. Racing lead on Tries 20-15

Ulster need to get four points more than Racing do to win the Pool. a Fiver with Racing getting one or a non bonus win with Racing getting nowt is needed.
    Pool Five P W D L F A PD TF TA TB LB PTS Rank
    1 Edinburgh 5 4 0 1 135 73 62 15 10 2 1 19 4
    2 Montpellier 5 3 0 2 148 89 51 20 10 3 1 16 9
    3 Newcastle 5 2 0 3 78 142 -64 7 17 0 0 8
    4 Toulon 5 1 0 4 107 156 -49 13 18 1 1 6
    Next Fixtures Friday 19:45 Edinburgh v Montpellier; Newcastle v Toulon

A win, a draw or a 2-4 loss wins Edinburgh the Pool.

Any other result wins Montpellier the Pool.

As things stand, the Quarter Finals (on Brexit Weekend!!) would be

Saracens v Toulouse

Racing v Ulster

Leinster v Glasgow

Edinburgh v Munster

with the Semi Finals

Saracens/Toulouse v Edinburgh/Munster in England if Saracens win, in Scotland if Toulouse and Edinburgh win and in Ireland if Toulouse and Munster win.

Racing/Ulster v Leinster/Glasgow in France if Racing win, in Ireland if Ulster and Leinster win and in Scotland if Ulster and Glasgow win.

For what it's worth, the PK prediction is that the only change in the rankings will be Glasgow losing to Sarries and dropping to 8th with Toulouse getting the Bonus v Bath and overtaking Ulster who fail to get the bonus in Leicester.

But, of course, My score in the Prediction Thread is 33/50 or 66% so don't put the Mortgage on it.

Last edited by Piquet; 15th-January-2019, 15:10.

• coolbawn
    replied
    https://www.epcrugby.com/champions-c...10OXI1,1YRSE,1

Edinburgh - Munster 12:45 on Sat 30th

One hour less worrying about getting back from Brexitland on the Sunday because the clocks go forward on the Saturday night.

Vote (prematurely) for player of the tournament here:

http://www.epcrugby.com/european-pro...10OXI1,1YRSE,1

Leave a comment:

• McCloud
    replied
    Flights and hotel booked out on Thursday back on Sunday. Bring it on!!

Leave a comment:

• bmacky
    replied
    Tomorrow D-Day for announcement of fixture details?? By the looks of it a lot of people have booked hotels at this stage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    Possibly, but it would be a departure from the norm and they have the challenge cup to show as well

Leave a comment:

• MunsterBakery
    replied
    Originally posted by lawrence View Post
    The Friday fixtures are very rare, and will be a big two fingers to us Munsterfans who have provided more than our fair share to the competition.

it has only happened previously when it was good Friday and Leinster had one years back.
    Isn't issue BT may want a Friday game though.

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    The Friday fixtures are very rare, and will be a big two fingers to us Munsterfans who have provided more than our fair share to the competition.

it has only happened previously when it was good Friday and Leinster had one years back.

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    Originally posted by MunsterBakery View Post
    Whrn will we get official word?
    "towards the end of the week" according to the EPRC site.

Leave a comment:

• MunsterBakery
    replied
    Whrn will we get official word?

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    Originally posted by Passingthrough View Post
    As Edinburgh fan I was looking through the forum and thought I’d add my thoughts to this.

The Livi - Hibs game only got about 5k attendance last time and Hearts have played at home previously during the 6 nations, in fact they will be at home when Scotland play Ireland (though against a smaller non league side in the cup). The Old Firm game won’t impact policing in the East other than more transport police at the train stations. It’ll be more interesting how they plan for the Pro 14 final being on the same day as the Scottish Cup final in the same city.

I think the SRU will be gunning for a Saturday game as they will want to break the 37k attendance that showed for the Edinburgh - Toulouse QF and that won’t happen on a Friday night.

Saying that, Sarries will get one of the sat/sun slots as planning permission for Allianz Park does not allow for weekday evening games. (Their website is only showing 30th/31st as prospective dates)

As an exile I’m hoping for Saturday to make it easier to get home but I don’t think that will happen unless the Friday game is ditched and it’s changed to two games on Saturday and two on Sunday.
    Welcome - and thanks for posting- very helpful to know about the policing etc. I think we’d all be delighted with a Saturday game, and getting more than 37k there would be great- it’ll be fairly desolate otherwise. Have been there at games in the 20s and it felt very odd.

Leave a comment:

• Passingthrough
    replied
    As Edinburgh fan I was looking through the forum and thought I’d add my thoughts to this.

The Livi - Hibs game only got about 5k attendance last time and Hearts have played at home previously during the 6 nations, in fact they will be at home when Scotland play Ireland (though against a smaller non league side in the cup). The Old Firm game won’t impact policing in the East other than more transport police at the train stations. It’ll be more interesting how they plan for the Pro 14 final being on the same day as the Scottish Cup final in the same city.

I think the SRU will be gunning for a Saturday game as they will want to break the 37k attendance that showed for the Edinburgh - Toulouse QF and that won’t happen on a Friday night.

Saying that, Sarries will get one of the sat/sun slots as planning permission for Allianz Park does not allow for weekday evening games. (Their website is only showing 30th/31st as prospective dates)

As an exile I’m hoping for Saturday to make it easier to get home but I don’t think that will happen unless the Friday game is ditched and it’s changed to two games on Saturday and two on Sunday.

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    I hear that Leinster are looking for the 5:30 pm match and I think we all know that Racing v Toulouse will be the Sunday game.

​​​​Does that mean we're playing on Friday night?

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    Originally posted by munster by marriage View Post

Livingston v Livingston? My money’s on the draw!
    Good call- it’s Livingston vs Hibs. Two ‘local’ derbies, as they’d be seen locally, whether this has any influence on the timing of our game I haven’t the foggiest- and not do I know whether the Glasgow derby is policed solely from Glasgow forces. I’d hope it isn’t Friday night, Murrayfield is a soul-less place at the best of times, so would hope it will be Saturday.
    Last edited by jagawayagain; 21st-January-2019, 18:17.

Leave a comment:

• mr chips
    replied
    Excerpt from Robert Kitson's article in the Guardian ... (emphasis by me)

For the second successive season there is just one English club – Saracens – in the last eight of the Champions Cup, in stark contrast to the Pro14 which boasts no fewer than five representatives including both Scotland’s participants, Edinburgh and Glasgow.

It is the first time two Scottish teams have made the knockout stages and the first time since 2011-12 France and England have collectively contributed only three quarter-finalists. Even before Wasps and Bath succumbed to round-six defeats, it was already a campaign for most to forget.

Four sides – Wasps, Gloucester, Leicester and Newcastle – ended up at the bottom of their pools, with Wales’s teams also with nothing to shout about. The Welsh regions lost 17 of their 24 matches across both competitions and now have no representatives in the knockout stages.

All four Irish provinces, in contrast, have something to look forward to; in this season’s Champions Cup their record against English sides reads P10 W9 D 1 L0, with none of England’s sides winning in Ireland in last season’s tournament either. The argument that the Irish system works better than its English equivalent grows harder to dispute by the day.

How exactly to reverse the tide is something to be debated between now and England’s trip to face Ireland next week in the opening round of the Six Nations. It is certainly indicative of Irish strength in depth that Munster’s Tadhg Beirne, who won another man of the match award against Exeter, is highly unlikely to start against England despite being among the most effective breakdown operators in Europe.

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    Takes away the hassle of tickets though...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X