No announcement yet.

Heineken R6) Us V Exeter Chiefs - Saturday 17.30

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, in the heat of the game yesterday I completely forgot about their scoring requirements - in my mind, if they won at all it meant we were out. With the error count and the number of times we handed possession back to them, that made for an increasingly fraught second half and for the last ten minutes in particular, I was as riled up as a guard dog trapped inside the house hearing intruders trying to break in. Not the most pleasant game to watch in that sense! Over the very last few minutes though, I realised that our defence was becoming characterised by the same sort of intransigence as we showed on the line for seven minutes against Gloucester - the lads were ruthlessly committed, snagging and snarling and harrying the Exeter players backwards, and that was when the belief really surged. Moment of the match for me was that lineout steal by Billy Holland - magnificent, majestic stuff.
    I'm feckin exhausted ...
    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Nowell was pretty impressive I thought, fairly hard to bring down. Like playing CJ at fullback or something

Comment

Originally posted by Keyop View Post

Hopefully you will present your CV at the training center on Monday. You are needed...
        Clown
        \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Tell you what.......if Fla is responsible for our scrum and lineout, fair fuks to him.
          Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Chiefs are a really attractive team with a fantastic philosophy of play (For my part, I really enjoy to watch them and when they beat the Sarries, it's always a great moment...). Add to this that Exeter is a nice town with a great reputation, that people there are hospitable and the town voted largely for remain.. They deserve to join the best league in Europe... You know? The league that sent FIVE teams in the last eight best ones in the Championship...
            "To be energetic and self-sufficing is to be happy; but while one desire remains in the heart happiness may not come there. For to desire is to be incomplete: it is the badge of dependence, the signal of unhappiness, and to be freed from that is to be freed from every fetter that can possibly be forged." (James Stephens, Deirdre)

Comment

Respect to Exeter, lots of top Prem clubs have melted in TP, these guys have a bit of steel in them. That makes the result all the more impressive for Munster. It was like Munster playing Munster, very similar style and game plan. Strong defense, great set piece, good kicking game. We edged the set piece, better scrum and stole line outs. Neither team had a line break, and I thought we got more from our box kicks, but they got better return from positional kicking.
              2 points separated the teams in 160 mins of rugby just shows how well matched it was. We’ll be trouble for any team in the last eight
              Dont need reason, dont need rhyme,
              Aint nothin I would rather do,
              Goin down, party time,
              My friends are gonna be there too

I'm on a Highway to Hell ...

Comment

Originally posted by JN.Allezdax.com View Post
                Chiefs are a really attractive team with a fantastic philosophy of play (For my part, I really enjoy to watch them and when they beat the Sarries, it's always a great moment...). Add to this that Exeter is a nice town with a great reputation, that people there are hospitable and the town voted largely for remain.. They deserve to join the best league in Europe... You know? The league that sent FIVE teams in the last eight best ones in the Championship...
                Actually they would be much better than the Italians or the hopeless SA teams

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                  If we hadn't gone up against their 5m lineout in the first half and just set ourselves to defend the ensuing drive it could have been a 9 nil win

For all of their Nowells and Corderos, they did eff all inside our 22 all night.

Some might be peeved that we didn't tear the top team in England asunder but those lads have ten wins from twelve and eleven!! Bonus points in those 12 games.

I'd be more disappointed if I was a Devonian than a Turnipian this morning tbh
                  No one is disappointed we didn't tear them assunder. We're concerned that last night's game was yet another one where our attacking game was a shambles. A bit more structure in what we were doing and we had a try, or at least more possession and points in us

"There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

A few points reflecting on last night:

For such a hugely attritional game it was very clean from what I could see. No off the ball stuff or clearly high tackles etc.

Teams won’t want to get drawn against Exeter in next years competition, they are a tough, tough team to beat. Our lads will have grown in confidence after beating them.

If we had been playing Saracens yesterday, needing a win, I think more fans on here would be delighted with the result. Grinding out a result against a big physical team. Exeter are ahead of Sarries by 4 points in the Premiership.

Last night was one of the games that reminded me of Axel and his legacy. Playing against strong opposition, backs to the wall, and Munster lads giving everything they had and more, supporting each other until they had nothing left. Stander, Niall S, Jean K, TOD etc making tackles and jumping back up to make more.

Very, very proud of all the team
                    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2019/...ial-encounter/

Munster coach Johann Van Graan declared his side's intensely hard fought win over Exeter Chiefs in Thomond Park as one of the most "special" games in which he's ever been involved.

Needing at worst a losing point to progress at the beginning of the evening (and that provided they restricted Exeter to three tries or less) Munster appeared to achieve that and nothing more for much of the game.

Don Armand's try left them trailing 7-6 after 22 minutes and, amazingly, the score remained the same for a full 50 minutes of play, with both sides scrapping and tearing furiously for every inch.

Handling errors were rife such was the suffocating physicality of the encounter and neither side's attack were allowed the slightest room to breathe.

It wasn't until the final 10 minutes that Joey Carbery slotted the penalty which allowed the hosts to relax a touch.

While it wasn't the most aesthetic game from a backs' coach's point of view, Van Graan was enthralled by the desire shown by both sides and lavished praise on Munster's opponents.

"In my 15 months here at Munster, that was definitely the toughest game," he told RTÉ Sport afterwards.

"It was two teams that didn't know how to give up. The Chiefs kept fighting to the last second of the game. It's a team I respect so much.

"We made some errors because of pressure (from the opposition) in the first half, we adapted well in the second half and it became an arm wrestle and everybody wrestled with everything they got. I'm very glad we came through this one.

"It's not often in a game of rugby, there's only one score in the second half. That just shows how tight it was. Once we went in front, we knew they had to run everything.

"They fought for every single millimetre. When the pool draw came out and I saw that Exeter Chiefs were in our pool, they are in my opinion one of the top sides in the world, and I include test teams.

"They put us under pressure in all facets of the game. I thought our maul worked quite well. I thought we scrummed quite well and it was a battle after that."

It was a frustrating and uncomfortable evening for Munster in attack as they committed an inordinately large number of handling errors. For a long time, it was feared their failings in this department might cost them a knockout spot for the first time since 2015-16.

However, Van Graan was relatively understanding about these shortcomings, attributing it to the intense pressure from the opposition.

"(Handling) was an issue but because of pressure. I said at half-time, we needed more composure. I thought we adapted well in the second half. And the opportunities that we created came when we pinned them in their 22. One score in 40 minutes of rugby is incredible.

"When the dust settles, and we got to bed and open our eyes tomorrow morning, the fact that we're in another European Cup quarter-final, that's fantastic.

"I believe it's possibly going to be away from home. We have a lot of planning to do. The most important thing is we're in the quarter-final. We topped our group. We can only control what we can and take it from there.

"This is pretty close to one of the most special games that I've ever been involved. It was about the will to win and luckily we edged it."

Speaking to RTÉ Sport afterwards, Munster tighthead John Ryan labelled the game "ridiculously tough" and admitted that they found it close to impossible to break Exeter down.

"There was some hits going in, carries. There was a lot of mistakes as well but that's what pressure does. It was frantic. The defence from both sides was excellent.

"You can see them in the Premiership. Their level of line speed is huge and they slam the door on the outside. So, there's not that space on the outside that you'd usually have. So it's always a brick wall in front of you and you've just got to batter that brick wall down and get little half-breaks
                      Munster coach Johann Van Graan declared his side's intensely hard fought win over Exeter Chiefs in Thomond Park as one of the most "special" games in which he's ever been involved.

Comment

Great match and unlike in the previous 2 years when Munster got to semis, Munster now look good enough and should have the belief that they can win the HCup.

Hope Exeter go on to win the Premiership and kept apart from Munster in next year's cup draw.
                        ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                        AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

I believe its no coincidence that both Earls and Conway are having their best season to date ,I think Haley is a bread and butter full back and allows them to play like wingers should and not having to cover back like in previous seasons when Zebo played fullback ,now the counter argument could also be made that without Zebo we have definitely lost something in attack

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post

Thats correct they did but leading 7_3 they went to the corner with a pen and we turned it over ,they did same with a harder pen admittedly near ht at 7_6.
                            if that was us away from home i would question our decision makinng on the field.
                            They needed to beat us by more than seven- because we had had better results against the teams we both played until that point. Defences were on top, Munster were not coughing up cheap penalties (discipline and lack of silly stuff has improved immensely in the last couple of months), their kicker isn’t very reliable from the tee - and they maul very well. They needed to pull away by ten points if they could, so that a pen from us wouldn’t claw back a bonus point. Given all that line out was the right call- without Billy’s magic they might just have done it.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post

Thats correct they did but leading 7_3 they went to the corner with a pen and we turned it over ,they did same with a harder pen admittedly near ht at 7_6.
                              if that was us away from home i would question our decision makinng on the field.
                              Even if they changed plan and, after getting the try, kicked their other two penalties, the extra six points wouldn’t have been enough to top the pool.

This is all nonsensical conjecture of course. If they kicked their penalties who knows how the game would have unfolded?

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                                Logged on to say, once again, Mike Haley diffuses a few bombs for Munster. Sitting in the ground, he is just a great communicator, his positional sense is top notch and he seems to appear on loose balls so often.

Viva
                                To give a counterpoint to that Haley runs up too many blind alleys, fails to seek supporting players and gets dispossessed too frequently - somewhat Kearneyesque in my view.
                                Last edited by RichardP; 20th-January-2019, 12:59.

Comment

Working...
                                X