No announcement yet.

Heineken R6) Us V Exeter Chiefs - Saturday 17.30

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logged on to say, once again, Mike Haley diffuses a few bombs for Munster. Sitting in the ground, he is just a great communicator, his positional sense is top notch and he seems to appear on loose balls so often.

On the game itself, felt the occasion and importance nullified us a small bit. We looked headless far too often

It was a slippery log, we managed to cross it.

Viva
    I am the million man.

Comment

Exeter are a better team than Edinburgh, Glasgow, Ulster and Toulouse and its a pity for the competition that they are not in the QFs.

Comment

Firstly the good:
        -t was a cracker of a game, hugely intense
        --Munster over 80, were just the better side
        ​​​​​​- Lineout, Scrum and set piece excellent
        - Defence & collisions really good also
        - subs made an impact e g. Holland, Archer, etc

Now the not so good :
        - handling, forced and labored
        - passing was poor with far too many errors
        - option taking at times poor
        - if Munster are matched up front they really struggle with creativity behind & out wide

but overall a fine game, a hell of a contest with Munster thru to the quarter final of the Heineken cup again (albeit away from home)....

Well done Munster!!!

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
          Logged on to say, once again, Mike Haley diffuses a few bombs for Munster. Sitting in the ground, he is just a great communicator, his positional sense is top notch and he seems to appear on loose balls so often.

On the game itself, felt the occasion and importance nullified us a small bit. We looked headless far too often

It was a slippery log, we managed to cross it.

Viva
          Hayley is solid but he always tucks the ball under one arm and runs into contact He can't or won't offload. He can be frustrating. I think our bench was the difference, Alby added some real zip after a poor enough shift from Murray Holland had another massive cameo. Hopefully Beirne isn't too badly injured, he's a phenom
          When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Are there highlights on TV anywhere tonight folks?

Comment

Fineen is the best thing that’s ever happened to Billy, billy has never had such an impact on games before, delighted for him.

That was pretty limited stuff from us but maybe that was the plan, still though our handling was pathetic as was our distribution of the ball. I’d drop Scannell and Haley, I think Scannell is too limited an athlete, I’d prob go with Goggin or maybe Tyler if he can get fit and I think Sweets Conway gives you more than Conway Haley.
              \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Heisenberg View Post
                I think a match like that will stand to us in the long run. That felt like a cup final, none of the other top teams in the competition had to cope with a pack like that and we got the better of them over two games. The mistakes were due to huge pressure from both sides and they rarely looked like scoring in the second half either.

I agree. It was a tight battle and winning those type of matches helps build the team aura. Carbery nailing that pressure kick is great for his development too. He is very calm under pressure.

The 2 matches between Munster and Exeter combined has Munster winning 19-17. It shows where both teams are strong and weak. Strong up front and defensively but when physically matched, both teams look blunt in terms of their attack.
                Last edited by dropkick; 19th-January-2019, 22:10.

Comment

Think people should get off haleys back ,ok he has flaws but give him time,positionally hes v good ,commnicates and organises defensive line well too. The team is a unit not a collection of individuals, we have just qualified against a team who put it up to us big time.

Comment

Originally posted by Heisenberg View Post
                    Exeter are a better team than Edinburgh, Glasgow, Ulster and Toulouse and its a pity for the competition that they are not in the QFs.
                    Toulouse are worthy of more respect.

Comment

I didn't see any negatives for us in that game. OK we made some handling errors but lets credit Exeter for their intensity and pressure.

If Wayne Barnes had done his job properly, we'd have a home QF and be unbeaten in the CC. Exeter played very well and ran us so close but we know how to win at this stage and we really performed late on when the pressure was really building.

We were superb in scrum and line-out and won ugly.

Garces got a lot of calls wrong but Exeter probably won't be happy with him either. Some of the decisons that went against us were mind boggling. POM won a great line-out steal in the 2nd half and was pinged. We got the push on their scrum a few times and Garces refused to give penalties. There was one crazy short advantage. I can recall at least a dozen very poor decisions. However, in contrast to Barnes, he didn't cost us the game.

Comment

It was a nervy cup game. I think Garces made the game the way it was. Exeter played their game and Munster and Garces let them. Exeter were good and ready and weren't letting the hype come into it. Garces didn't ref obstruction anyway, for one. He pretty much ignored the scrum. " Use it ", or I'll have to fluff a decision type refereeing.
                        Peter's steal in the line-out was perfect. He didn't touch the Exeter player.
                        I think we kicked it away because Garces couldn't penalise us if we didn't have it. Maybe the thoughts of omahony not being 100 percent got to them also.
                        But still, the lads off the bench played an immense part and we won and we're through.
                        It's a deal changer when you have a kicker to nail it when you need it.
                        I'm flipping knackered after that game. ????
                        Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Late try View Post
                          Are there highlights on TV anywhere tonight folks?
                          On BT Sport now !

Comment

That was an oddly traumatic experience for 60 minutes or so. Exeter brought their best and more, and no one can question the character the Munster in grinding a win out of it.

We're doing so many things so well. Lineout and scrum are on fire, defense is imperious, you go through the players you struggle to think of many that aren't at or close to peak form. Earls and Conway are two of the form wingers in Europe. POM and CJ are flying after questionable form last season. Murray might not be 100% but at that he's still one of the best around. Farrell and Goggin are massive since they came back, and Kleyn and Berne are a match for any second row out there on current form. We have an out half who seems incapable of missing penalties aside from one blip over a month ago, and looks gold standard when we allow him play.

However - as soon you ask us to put a rugby ball through 3 or 4 pairs of hands against and team that aren't a defensive cluster**** and we look like a complete and utter shambles. We're winning sweet **** all this year with this attacking system that's been implemented. We have the players, we have the platform, so it's excruciating to watch how difficult it for us to make it work. It's looked to be improving in recent weeks but this was a massive regression. We've left a lot of points after us in this pool because of it and sheer bloody will to win today stopped it costing us a QF spot. I have massive time for JVG and how he has us organised, but this needs sorting and soon or we're going to let one of best opportunities in years to win something slide by.
                            "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

War of attrition was that. Reminded me of games 20 years ago. Tough brutal rugby, with no quarter asked or given.

Well done Munster, we were 3rd seeds in our tough pool, which included Top14 winners and the top team in the Premiership. Before the first pool game started many ‘experts’ doubted our ability to get out of our group. Great to top our pool despite the atrocious referee decisions in Round 4 in particular.

The team will be battle hardened and in a much better place for these games. Onwards and upwards

FWIW I think Haley has been a great addition to our backline, he communicates well and organises the defense.

Today was a battle and the forwards did a great job, as Cowboy said above both teams were out on their feet at the final whistle. POM was clearly not 100% right but having him on the pitch was huge. Killer and CJ had a fine game and so did the whole pack.

Well done Munster
                              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Oof. What a game. Not for the neutral, but as an in-front-of-the-tv-player, I bl00dy loved it. True northern European rugby at its tightest and finest. How much man love can one have for Taidgh before it becomes wierd?

Comment

Working...
                                X