Heineken R6) Us V Exeter Chiefs - Saturday 17.30

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
    Recommendations for a nice lunchtime feed tomorrow pre- game. Good pub food or perhaps Italian?
    The Curragower would suit.

Comment

I think that International Rugby will also increase our focus on this game. Everyone in the frame wants to get a seat on the plane to Japan and this is one of the best ways to stake a claim. Lads like Farrell, Kleyn, Rory etc will have added incentive to deliver huge performances.

I see Exeter (along with Sarries) as one of the English sides that could get a result but it would take a performance of the ages for them to succeed. It's going to be nail biting stuff with their possession stats but we have the experience and patience to take our chances and keep our discipline.

Comment

Originally posted by North Country Spider View Post
        I see Dorce and Victor have put leinster on a different plateau to Munster. The arrogance is boundless. I hope the lads are aware of their comments. End of bells, both.
        Costello was just a bad headline, wasn't it? He said if Leinster were playing Munster, he'd be worried for Leinster, but they're not so he's not.

Comment

Originally posted by Late try View Post
          “Winning this game will be tough and needing to win by four clear points makes it even tougher,” acknowledged Baxter. “I think it’ll be a fantastic challenge but I kind of want it to be.

“I’m a believer in celebrating these competitions because they’re good. People watch them and go: ‘Crikey, what a game of rugby.’ There are all kinds of challenges but people forget that’s what makes the Heineken Cup so good. If it means not so many English clubs get through is that necessarily a bad thing? Are we trying to create a competition between teams who are all exactly the same? If we lose a hugely intense game so be it but at least we’ll have taken part in something worth taking part in.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-champions-cup
          I like Baxter and Exeter in general. They're the one English team who seem to see European rugby as a step up. And he calls it the Heineken Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
            I like Baxter and Exeter in general. They're the one English team who seem to see European rugby as a step up. And he calls it the Heineken Cup.
            Out of all the Nigels, I think most of us admire and respect them the most.

I wouldn't mind seeing them win the HC but just not this season - lol

Comment

When Exeter gained promotion to the premiership all the learned posters over on Gwlad were posting as a certainty that they would go straight back down after a season. How wrong they were. Exeter are not just posers.

Comment

Originally posted by The Yak View Post

Out of all the Nigels, I think most of us admire and respect them the most.

I wouldn't mind seeing them win the HC but just not this season - lol
                and Hayes version 2.0 was instrumental in Exeter's rise to fame.
                ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

The thing that marks Exeter out is that their extremely shrewd chairman, Tony Rowe, realised that the best way to build a club is to keep it as a club and not turn it into the subsidised penis extension of a wealthy man. Exeter supporters have very real ownership of their club and support their team accordingly. That said I hope Munster hockey them today!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                    The thing that marks Exeter out is that their extremely shrewd chairman, Tony Rowe, realised that the best way to build a club is to keep it as a club and not turn it into the subsidised penis extension of a wealthy man. Exeter supporters have very real ownership of their club and support their team accordingly. That said I hope Munster hockey them today!?!?
                    The 'Indian' thing is my only quibble.

According to today's Irish Times they will be gunning / bow and arrowing for Munsters 'scalp'.
                    ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                    AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                      It felt like a good place to visit. The fans I spoke to of theirs were enormously impressed by what Munster have achieved- I don’t like the chiefs corporate schtik, but competing in the premiership and the distance they have travelled in the last decade, has required that. All that said, I took hope we show them just how far they have to travel to be a top European side.

Comment

What Exeter have achieved is remarkable. Bristol have come up and gone down with a lot more money spent. London Welsh bankrupted themselves. Promotion has proved to be too much to handle for many.

The other clubs who have stayed up on coming up are those that are "natural" Prem teams. Quins and Saints.

Worcester have done ok - but have relegated twice since 2002. Bristol have been relegated twice. Leeds relegated three times.

To have come up, stayed up and built a championship side without spending unsustainable amounts on overseas players really makes them unique in England.

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

It felt like a good place to visit..... All that said, I took hope we show them just how far they have to travel to be a top European side.
                          It really did. Very attractive place and lovely people. On your travel point, you remind me of my chat with a friendly man in their equivalent of the East Terrace who asked me where in Ireland Munster was.

His team will know today.

PS On motivation - The Mirror says Chiefs Head Coach Ali Hepher, who played 10 for Northampton in the 2000 HC final, has told the players that a win today would be something they will remember forever.

Last edited by Late try; 19th-January-2019, 10:10.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
                            Now normally that would all be very well and good, but you know that really Exeter are ruthlessly playing the card of wide-eyed innocents, happy just to be on the field, fiendish mind games altogether. The curs.(That used to be our game)
                            Has Fineen put Johnny down yet?

Comment

On Twitter that Exeter have a player change. Doesn’t seem to say who though. I think it’s their 12

Comment

Our Team named will not start either due to injury ( separate to POM).

Comment

Working...
                                X