No announcement yet.

Gloucester vs Munster - Heineken Cup R5 - Friday January 11th @ 19:45

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gloucester fans bemoaning that we rest our players for Europe. They would want to do their research. Pom has played the most minutes of any of our players this season not including the autumn internationals. A lot of our players were in Australia too for June.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post
      Ackerman said that it was the mistakes that cost Gloucester, rather than their general play. He highlights catching and their lineouts.

I'm not sure. A number of our scores came from good Munster plays, especially Carbery's 40th minute try, the one from Earls and Conway's disallowed effort. We did create some really good stuff.
      Understandable spiel from a coach, but he’s wrong And probably knows it.

I was 100% sure we’d win the game from about the 10th minute, and that confidence was based on what actually cost Gloucester the game:

They couldn’t stop our carriers in the tight. That was the beginning and the end of all that followed.

If a defence let’s us make yards with ball in hand in the forwards, we win. Every time.

Our problems come when those routes become blind allies against better defences.

But cough up three to five feet against us at every tackle and your goose is cooked.
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by BigLad View Post
        Gloucester fans bemoaning that we rest our players for Europe. They would want to do their research. Pom has played the most minutes of any of our players this season not including the autumn internationals. A lot of our players were in Australia too for June.
        The overwhelming reaction from the glaws fans that I've read shows them to be gracious in defeat, and highly impressed with Munster's performance. You seem to only focus on the minority negative comments.
        Last edited by Wolf; 12th-January-2019, 10:31.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLad View Post
          It's an understandable frustration from fans (less so from competition organisers..). If their side could manage resources as we could without the fear of relegation then they would be more competitive. Look at how Ulster are able to compete in Europe compared to the two English sides in our group for example, while shipping some shocking domestic results when they rest players.

It's for them to sort out though. Instead of working with their Union they're working with a private equity firm. Sums it up.
          "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Loads of their fans at the game were shaking hands, wishing us the best and making it very clear they thought the better side won. I wouldn’t be too worried about what the armchair keyboard warriors have to say- goodness knows we have enough of our own.

Comment

Having so many carriers this season is making a huge difference. Last few seasons we seemed to mainly have Killer/Cronin and CJ. We’ve a whole range of carriers now which makes it much harder for opponents to target just 1 or 2 players
              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Stringer9 View Post
                A big mention to Billy Holland, he rarely ever gets the praise or recognition that he deserves. You don’t just happen upon 201 caps, he was brilliant when he came on for POM, and THAT pass. Take a bow.
                I had a small mental breakdown when he was picked ahead of Wych. Delighted to say I was wrong. Superb game by Billy.

Comment

Game just restarted on BT Sport, for those who have it.
                  Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                    Game just restarted on BT Sport, for those who have it.
                    How’s the head, Chippy?
                    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
                      If POM's rib keeps him out of Joe's injury factory in February and March it would be worth him missing out next week. A fully fit and fresh POM coming back in for the latter stages of the league and cup would be fantastic.
                      Partly my thinking, especially with something like a rib where it's fairly straight forward. Backrows will always have time out and we've been haunted with CJ and Pete by and large. A few weeks out with him catching the last couple of 6Ns games could be the best thing for him, Ireland and Munster. And if there's a time for a top player to be out it's when you have a close to full deck.

Arno made up for his one off horror show last week when he came on, and Wych merits a run out after the Leinster display.
                      "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Nice feeling.... watching the rest of the games with an away BP win the bag already.

Beirne and Kleyn are so good. Great to see CJ back to his best the last few months.

Offloads from Billy and Archie? We'd wanna cut out that fancy Dan nonsense....

Comment

Pom could do with a rest. And same badly applies to kleyne and beirne. I still feel we need a tipoki type to unlock better teams than glos. If beirne or Farrell get hurt in Joe's classroom it will probably be too much for us to carry. Some performance last night. Glos are my fav eng fans. Great ground, great tradition, brilliant support. We have certainly progressed

Comment

Its a complete curse not having bt. Any links on net where it can be watched today?

Comment

Originally posted by busby View Post

It's an understandable frustration from fans (less so from competition organisers..). If their side could manage resources as we could without the fear of relegation then they would be more competitive. Look at how Ulster are able to compete in Europe compared to the two English sides in our group for example, while shipping some shocking domestic results when they rest players.

It's for them to sort out though. Instead of working with their Union they're working with a private equity firm. Sums it up.
                              Player management does help us get the best out of our squad, but how many of that Glaws team, or almost any English team, would make our first 15?

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post

How’s the head, Chippy?
                                I've been worse! Wasn't on the out & out batter last night, although I did have one or two more than intended. As I said to Fitzy last night, I was mainly drunk on euphoria!
                                Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Working...
                                X