Gloucester vs Munster - Heineken Cup R5 - Friday January 11th @ 19:45

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Late try View Post
    One of several reasons I will continue to pay for the Examiner daily.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...baQiM2EfFvg20=
    Thanks for the link.

Far be it from me to second guess ROG - who says that Munster aren't there yet and "there means trophies".

But, but, I can't help thinking that a corner has been turned. Two or three years ago - after we lost to Toulon I think - I posted here that what Munster needed was to build a team, and a way of playing, that meant we could travel to a place like Toulon as favourites or at least as a serious competitor, rather than as brave underdogs who might ... on their day ... etc.

Well, I think that day has arrived. And what's made the difference is easily identifiable and tangible.
    • First) an international standard tight five.
    • Second) a world class back row.
    • Third)an international quality half back partnership
    • Fourth) international standard centres
    • Fifth) a coaching ticket that understands where it's going
    • Sixth) a game plan that everyone understands
    • Seventh) Experience.
    • Eighth) Discipline

You can see over the season how this has been built game on game on game but only really started to become obvious with the return of Murray, Kleyn, Farrell and Goggin and with Carbery getting more experience under his belt.
    And barring injuries, we can only get better. This is a much better side than the one that came close to, and should have, knocked Racing out of the comp away in Paris last year.

If I'm right, we come home from Goucester tonight with a hard fought win, possibly a bonus point win and Exeter get the Sale 2006 treatment at Thomond park next week.

BELIEVE!
    Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by Late try View Post
      One of several reasons I will continue to pay for the Examiner daily.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...baQiM2EfFvg20=
      Have you seen today's headline?
      When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post

Thanks for the link.

Far be it from me to second guess ROG - who says that Munster aren't there yet and "there means trophies".

But, but, I can't help thinking that a corner has been turned. Two or three years ago - after we lost to Toulon I think - I posted here that what Munster needed was to build a team, and a way of playing, that meant we could travel to a place like Toulon as favourites or at least as a serious competitor, rather than as brave underdogs who might ... on their day ... etc.

Well, I think that day has arrived. And what's made the difference is easily identifiable and tangible.
        • First) an international standard tight five.
        • Second) a world class back row.
        • Third)an international quality half back partnership
        • Fourth) international standard centres
        • Fifth) a coaching ticket that understands where it's going
        • Sixth) a game plan that everyone understands
        • Seventh) Experience.
        • Eighth) Discipline

You can see over the season how this has been built game on game on game but only really started to become obvious with the return of Murray, Kleyn, Farrell and Goggin and with Carbery getting more experience under his belt.
        And barring injuries, we can only get better. This is a much better side than the one that came close to, and should have, knocked Racing out of the comp away in Paris last year.

If I'm right, we come home from Goucester tonight with a hard fought win, possibly a bonus point win and Exeter get the Sale 2006 treatment at Thomond park next week.

BELIEVE!
        I agree with all except 6 & 7, We've played two games this season where an identifiable game plan was evident. Edinburgh in Cork & Connacht away. Outside of that our backs have looked bereft of ideas & cohesion, relying on individual brilliance instead.

We've experience of winning home games & losing consistently to top class opposition, that's pretty much it.

Comment

I posted here that what Munster needed was to build a team, and a way of playing, that meant we could travel to a place like Toulon as favourites or at least as a serious competitor, rather than as brave underdogs who might ... on their day ... etc.

You're right, Toulon have gotten ****e

Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Originally posted by mickiemcfist View Post

I agree with all except 6 & 7, We've played two games this season where an identifiable game plan was evident. Edinburgh in Cork & Connacht away. Outside of that our backs have looked bereft of ideas & cohesion, relying on individual brilliance instead.

We've experience of winning home games & losing consistently to top class opposition, that's pretty much it.
            We didn't turn up at the at the Sprtsground with that game out of the blue. It has been built game on game. Even the horror losses early on at Cardiff and so on were part of a process that heas taken us to ths point.

Originally posted by scotscor View Post
            You're right, Toulon have gotten ****e
            You need a bit of a cheer up Scotty. And i think Kingsholm might be just the tonic you need. It's been dark enough for long enough with Munster. Time to let the light in. Maybe it's Van Graan, maybe it's Joey carbery or maybe it's global warming but ew've turned the corner.

Wait and see.
            Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

The jury is still out on our attack, to be honest we're shyte for the most part. A few tries against Connacht is hardly proof that we have turned a corner.

Comment

We didn't turn up at the at the Sprtsground with that game out of the blue. It has been built game on game. Even the horror losses early on at Cardiff and so on were part of a process that heas taken us to ths point.

You need a bit of a cheer up Scotty. And i think Kingsholm might be just the tonic you need. It's been dark enough for long enough with Munster. Time to let the light in. Maybe it's Van Graan, maybe it's Joey carbery or maybe it's global warming but ew've turned the corner.

Wait and see.
                Ahh no, fairly happy alright, buzzing about tonight's game. just thought it was a wee bit amusing. We went to Exeter looking for the losing bonus point and should have won, went to Castres expecting to win and should have won. tonight is different, its a strong Glaws side, but we can and probably should win. I'm not there today and best of luck to any who go. It should be fantastic game.

Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Glaws are probably the closest premiership club to our own spiritually. Can’t see them lying down. Tough game ahead. Expecting a win but only just

Comment

Originally posted by Call999 View Post
                    Glaws are probably the closest premiership club to our own spiritually. Can’t see them lying down. Tough game ahead. Expecting a win but only just
                    I thought Exeter were the English Munster ?

Comment

If Munster can get an early try I can see Gloucester heads dropping. They have a brutal injury list and might question whether they are wasting their time. That said, they were more than holding their own in TP before Cipriani was sent off.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                        If Munster can get an early try I can see Gloucester heads dropping. They have a brutal injury list and might question whether they are wasting their time. That said, they were more than holding their own in TP before Cipriani was sent off.
                        and after for the last 20 mins
                        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

i thought Leicester were the English Munster.

Comment

Can we all agree Sarries are the leinster equivalent?

Comment

Originally posted by Call999 View Post
                              Glaws are similar to us in many respects.

Neither of us have been dining at the top table for a while. We've both recently appointed Saffer coaches and naturally have recruited a few decent Saffer Players.

We've got very similar incomes - about €17m and although we've got a larger debt due to TP, we've got a good repayment plan so our annual budgets are very similar.

However, the main difference for me now is that we've been major beneficiaries of the IRFU decision to bring players home and seek move for others to increase playing time - we also benefit from better player welfare/management (tru the IRFU again) - We've brought in 3 top international players in Beirne, Carberry and Farrell and Haley might get to the same level. Without the IRFU we could not attract this level of talent. Obviously we also benefit from savings due to central contracts.

IMO - Glaws are a fine club but we have a few advantages and as a consequence, we are a level above them. I expect a tight game but a win without a BP.

Comment

Ian McGeechan in the Telegraph

I’m not in the least bit surprised to see Danny Cipriani rushed back into action by Gloucester for their must-win home game against Munster tonight. They have really struggled without him, losing their last two Premiership matches while lacking not only the creativity but the control he provides. It’s a massive game alright. Gloucester may be bottom of pool two in the Champions Cup, but they are only four points behind Munster, who are top. A win could blow things wide open. And Danny could make the difference. He started this season so well.

While he didn’t get the England call-up he craved for the autumn internationals, I don’t think anyone could argue with his performances.Danny’s head to head with Joey Carbery tonight is going to be worth the admission price alone. We’ve seen Carbery improve with more game time at Munster and it’s a great head-to-head.

A lot will depend on what kind of ball they get, of course. Munster have a huge pack featuring a host of Ireland internationals including Tadhg Beirne, Peter O’Mahony and CJ Stander. But I think Gloucester have shown they can be a match for anyone. Especially at Kingsholm.
                                I’m backing Danny to lead them to a narrow win to keep the pool alive.

Comment

Working...
                                X