Gloucester vs Munster - Heineken Cup R5 - Friday January 11th @ 19:45

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gloucester vs Munster - Heineken Cup R5 - Friday January 11th @ 19:45

Can't see a game thread opened so went ahead and started one. Huge game this weekend, Munster have momentum but Europe is different. You would have to assume it's a must win to avoid unnecessary pressure next weekend.

As long as all players come through knocks/HIA's, I think the only starting positions that aren't definite are 7 & 12 with a few bench spots up for grabs:
    7 - Did TOD do enough to keep the jersey if Cloete is fit?
    12 - How much of Munster's backs movement was a result of Goggin at 12?
    16 - If Marshall is fit I think he'll bench.
    20 - Just a one off poor game for Botha or put TOD/Cloete on bench instead?
    22 - Tyler over JJ I would guess.
    23 - Arnold or Sweetnam.

Attending this one myself so the hype is well and truly started already!

I think Cloete & Goggin will start. I'd pick JJ but would guess that you are right. Sweets for me. I'd go O'Byrne on the basis that Marshall hasn't had competitive rugby in weeks, at home a better place to b re-introduced.

Not sure on Botha, if Fineen is on bench I guess Cloete or O'Donnell might be a better foil

Comment

Originally posted by Lonstonitis View Post
      Can't see a game thread opened so went ahead and started one. Huge game this weekend, Munster have momentum but Europe is different. You would have to assume it's a must win to avoid unnecessary pressure next weekend.

As long as all players come through knocks/HIA's, I think the only starting positions that aren't definite are 7 & 12 with a few bench spots up for grabs:
      7 - Did TOD do enough to keep the jersey if Cloete is fit?
      12 - How much of Munster's backs movement was a result of Goggin at 12?
      16 - If Marshall is fit I think he'll bench.
      20 - Just a one off poor game for Botha or put TOD/Cloete on bench instead?
      22 - Tyler over JJ I would guess.
      23 - Arnold or Sweetnam.

Attending this one myself so the hype is well and truly started already!
      12. I feel most of it was as a result of the movement of Conway at full back. His support lines and decoy lines were top drawer.
      Farrell looked in some discomfort at the end of the game, right on the whistle the camera showed him and Van Graan reported it didn't look great. Pity if he misses out. He gives us offload options in the tackle we dont get from Arnold
      \"If you can dream it, you can do it\".
      \"To the cowardly and unfaithful, nothing is possible\"

Comment

Would have TOD on the bench ahead of Botha if TOD is not starting.

KOB has been solid so unless Marshall is 100% match fit I'd stay with him for 16.

Tough call re Conway or Haley at 15. I think Conway gives us more in attack but this will be a tough away game and defense might be a priority in the first 60 mins. If Haley starts at 15 then Sweetnam on the bench for me so that we can switch it up if we have to chase the game in the last 20/30.

I hope that we can continue with Goggin and Farrell in midfield. If not I would go with Rory and Goggin (may be even more tempted to have Conway at 15 in that scenario).

Comment

Chris Farrell being assessed for a knee injury

https://munsterrugby.ie/2019/01/07/s...019.1447864910

Comment

Conway at 15 for me. Would love to see Wycherly at 6 with POM at 7. Alby kept a great tempo to the game and I'd have no gripe if he got the nod at 9 (not a hope methinks).
            He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Looking at shedweb forum they are saying that Cipriani is not fit but it’s a intentional leak to miscommunicate to alter Munsters plans.

Comment

Bad news for JJ there too!
                Scanell and Goggin to start now maybe. Seems like Cloete will be available too!

Comment

Farrell being out is a bit of a disaster for Munster. Every time he plays there's a different energy about the backline. Scannell at 12 and Goggin at 13 more than likely if he misses out.

Comment

Glad John Ryan and POM are ok. Good news on Cloete too
                    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

when was our last Friday night european game?

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post
                        Would have TOD on the bench ahead of Botha if TOD is not starting.

KOB has been solid so unless Marshall is 100% match fit I'd stay with him for 16.

Tough call re Conway or Haley at 15. I think Conway gives us more in attack but this will be a tough away game and defense might be a priority in the first 60 mins. If Haley starts at 15 then Sweetnam on the bench for me so that we can switch it up if we have to chase the game in the last 20/30.

I hope that we can continue with Goggin and Farrell in midfield. If not I would go with Rory and Goggin (may be even more tempted to have Conway at 15 in that scenario).

I would have Wycherley benching ahead of Botha and ToD

Comment

Saracen in October 2014 defo was a Friday and our last I think

the only other fri ones that stand out were Northampton away oct 2009. Moutauban home oct 2008. And sale away oct 2005
                          Last edited by BigLad; 7th-January-2019, 15:08.

Comment

I
                            Originally posted by lawrence View Post

I would have Wycherley benching ahead of Botha and ToD
                            I'd have him benching ahead of Billy

Comment

Originally posted by BigLad View Post
                              Saracen in October 2014 defo was a Friday and our last I think

the only other fri ones that stand out were Northampton away oct 2009. Moutauban home oct 2008. And sale away oct 2005
                              Are you sure about the Northampton 2009 match? I thought that was a Saturday. I remember the Sale match and the awful traffic trying to get to the game. I'm not taking the chance this time, I'll be on the train nice and early for this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X