Munster's Suppporter Interaction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Munster's Suppporter Interaction

Hi folks, a couple a points to discuss with us to see if it's just me or not.
    firstly the club shop at thomond, as a foreign based fan my sister and I did the tourist thing of going to the club shop before the Leinster game when I was home, herself wanted a fleece to update an older one she had. The shop looks like a decent size space but there is very little in it, shirts, soft shells, tracksuits, hats and scarfs and that's about it. And even at that my sister was directed to lifestyle sports for a top that one of the staff were wearing! No calendars, mugs, travel mugs or general branded tat that make good stocking fillers or general presents for fans.. I feel they are missing a trick.. or was all that stuff there before Christmas?
    secondly - Offical Twitter account - I was on the road during the castres away game and the Mrs was kindly tracking the game for my on the munster Twitter account... such was the lack of info or detail she started tracking the match via the Castres official account which gave alot more updates and gave more meat on the bone even with minimal French. She's a warriors supporter (I know....) but she commented that GW put content up on Twitter alot more regularly and alot more player interaction... again.. is munster missing a trick. If this has been covered before apologies for starting a new thread

Welcome aboard James
    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

On your second point - I don't use twitter or facebook myself so I can't say how good or bad Munster's own presence is on those platforms. I used to put game updates on here, but it didn't seem that necessary once there was an official twitter account providing updates along with the various online streams etc. I also more or less assumed that if I was able to watch the game, it almost certainly meant that anyone else could access it as well. It's usually good enough that just using 4G data, I even managed to keep watching the Castres away game on my phone as my own missus drove us to a Christmas night out (although we arrived ten minutes before the final whistle, to my disgust!). If it turns out that for whatever reason people can't actually manage to see a game and the official updates aren't much cop, I don't mind having another go (so long as I'm not actually at the game in person) - just put a request into the relevant match thread on the day.

Overall, it's probably better to put your thoughts in an email to Munster Rugby directly as they're the ones in a position to take it on board. Whether they actually will or not is not for me to say. I think we (Munster) do get some things right, though - for example, I had a couple of Ulster supporters down at the game last spring and they were amazed that players would be brought into the MRSC bar before a game just to meet & greet ordinary supporters, and that this was fairly normal and not a paid-for privilege. They were also quite taken aback that we didn't have to pay to get into the bar in the first place - seemingly having paid for membership of the URSC doesn't mean you get to enter your own club bar for free.
      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

I didn’t go into the shop after the Leinster game but they usually have things like calendars, hats, key rings etc and other similar stocking fillers. Maybe they were sold out by the time you arrived?
        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
          On your second point - I don't use twitter or facebook myself so I can't say how good or bad Munster's own presence is on those platforms. I used to put game updates on here, but it didn't seem that necessary once there was an official twitter account providing updates along with the various online streams etc. I also more or less assumed that if I was able to watch the game, it almost certainly meant that anyone else could access it as well. It's usually good enough that just using 4G data, I even managed to keep watching the Castres away game on my phone as my own missus drove us to a Christmas night out (although we arrived ten minutes before the final whistle, to my disgust!). If it turns out that for whatever reason people can't actually manage to see a game and the official updates aren't much cop, I don't mind having another go (so long as I'm not actually at the game in person) - just put a request into the relevant match thread on the day.

Overall, it's probably better to put your thoughts in an email to Munster Rugby directly as they're the ones in a position to take it on board. Whether they actually will or not is not for me to say. I think we (Munster) do get some things right, though - for example, I had a couple of Ulster supporters down at the game last spring and they were amazed that players would be brought into the MRSC bar before a game just to meet & greet ordinary supporters, and that this was fairly normal and not a paid-for privilege. They were also quite taken aback that we didn't have to pay to get into the bar in the first place - seemingly having paid for membership of the URSC doesn't mean you get to enter your own club bar for free.
          Thanks Mr Chips for the offer and the detailed reply. I put the query on here first before sending it to the club just to see if I'm wildly off target with my thoughts. Based in Scotland I've been in the murrayfield shop quite a few times and there is a marked difference but that is that national stadium so a bit much to expect it to match that but I guess it was only 4 days after Christmas.

Comment

Since moving to the exclusive Lifestyle deal, Munster don't have much branded 'tat' anymore. Also AFAIK Adidas only do one run of the Munster gear so when you get to this time of the year some sizes are no longer available.

As to twitter, they post all scores and scorers as they happen. I don't see much wrong with it. Not every twitter account needs to be like AS Roma's.

Comment

The merchandise is pretty limited, if there was more it would be better but they always tend to have the same few bits each season.
              You could buy calendars in both stadiums right before Christmas. I remember it said something like...order by tomorrow to have the best chance of getting them before Christmas. Last year, I think, you could just buy them in Lifestyle. It just sounded a bit disorganised this year.

But what annoys me a bit about the Munster gear is some of the quality of the Adidas gear, especially the hoodies. It gets a bit scraggy looking after a while. Not great when. You consider the brand and the cost. Also, very little of the Munster gear is aimed to fit women, which is a bit annoying but it’s not all bad, I tend to buy kids sized jerseys for a fair bit cheaper so it’s win win.

With Twitter I go to other accounts for details of what is happening, Munster just stick to the score/events instead of an ongoing commentary. Which is fair enough. It’s just the way they do it. They did have a player take over the account last year during an A game and it was very funny but, I like that you can go to the account and it’s clear what the score is, instead of having to scroll through posts.
              Last edited by Stringer9; 3rd-January-2019, 00:39.
              The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

The partnership with Adidas has definitely been a disappointment. They make some high quality stuff (relatively speaking) - like their ZNE range.

The ABs get a far broader range of branded stuff from them (understandably, I guess) but it does feel like Munster are punching below their weight on that front.

The Lifestyle link up is just downstream of that, I think. Adidas are producing a very limited range of stuff, and that was presumably what Munster signed up for.

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post
                  Since moving to the exclusive Lifestyle deal, Munster don't have much branded 'tat' anymore. Also AFAIK Adidas only do one run of the Munster gear so when you get to this time of the year some sizes are no longer available.

As to twitter, they post all scores and scorers as they happen. I don't see much wrong with it. Not every twitter account needs to be like AS Roma's.
                  i haven't experienced AS Roma's account but coming from a person (my other half) who experiences another clubs account (Glasgow) for match updates and general news she found that Munster's was light in comparison.

considering the Castres game was low scoring then scores alone doesn't give much input into how a game is going. its not like a minute by minute update you'd get for a match on a papers website. i disagree that scores and scorers is enough

Comment

Originally posted by Stringer9 View Post
                    The merchandise is pretty limited, if there was more it would be better but they always tend to have the same few bits each season.
                    You could buy calendars in both stadiums right before Christmas. I remember it said something like...order by tomorrow to have the best chance of getting them before Christmas. Last year, I think, you could just buy them in Lifestyle. It just sounded a bit disorganised this year.

But what annoys me a bit about the Munster gear is some of the quality of the Adidas gear, especially the hoodies. It gets a bit scraggy looking after a while. Not great when. You consider the brand and the cost. Also, very little of the Munster gear is aimed to fit women, which is a bit annoying but it’s not all bad, I tend to buy kids sized jerseys for a fair bit cheaper so it’s win win.

With Twitter I go to other accounts for details of what is happening, Munster just stick to the score/events instead of an ongoing commentary. Which is fair enough. It’s just the way they do it. They did have a player take over the account last year during an A game and it was very funny but, I like that you can go to the account and it’s clear what the score is, instead of having to scroll through posts.
                    my sister will have to do the same regarding the sizes of jerseys. I think i would have looked up three red kings account if i was in shotgun and the Mrs was driving but as a glasgow fan i didnt want to expose her to that!!

i remember the player take over, i think it was Sam Arnold and it was funny and more action than normal, that was a good idea.

Comment

I agree with you about Munster being light on twitter updates but I don't think I'd like if they became like Glasgow (creating videos of players celebrating, wishing every player a happy birthday, etc). I prefer to read something that's worth reading. For full match commentary on twitter I would follow TRK.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonstonitis View Post
                        I agree with you about Munster being light on twitter updates but I don't think I'd like if they became like Glasgow (creating videos of players celebrating, wishing every player a happy birthday, etc). I prefer to read something that's worth reading. For full match commentary on twitter I would follow TRK.
                        Now that I think of it, they do a lot of that stuff on Instagram. Not birthdays, but behind the scenes videos and photos from training, matchday and when they're traveling.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonstonitis View Post
                          maybe the content is on Instagram rather than twitter or Facebook, yeah i don't think they need to go full celebration video, i think that particular idea has been done to death. i'll check out the Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by James NB View Post

maybe the content is on Instagram rather than twitter or Facebook, yeah i don't think they need to go full celebration video, i think that particular idea has been done to death. i'll check out the Instagram
                            They've also been doing quite a bit on the YouTube channel as well. A lot of post game interviews, and stuff like that. It also seems like they are going to try and do more with the podcast and have it at least once a month. Rather than have a player run it, Duncan Casey did a couple last year, they are having someone else interview the players.

Comment

Three red kings is a good Twitter account to follow.
                              Munster gear us terrible.I nip into lifestyle sports when I'm over and always a poor selection.
                              I've reverted to using my Red Gortex jacket for matches now as it actually keeps me warm and dry.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. (Marcus Aurelius, 121-189 AD)

Comment

Working...
                              X